Angels in reef tanks

MtlReef25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Emperor along with a Rock Beauty, Lamark and Pygmy. The Emperor is the 'Boss' but also a very good citizen. Never touched the Clam andcorals (SPS only). He is very curious and they definitely have a personality. But oh boy they eat. They are eating machines, especially for nori.
emperor1.jpg

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Emperor along with a Rock Beauty, Lamark and Pygmy. The Emperor is the 'Boss' but also a very good citizen. Never touched the Clam andcorals (SPS only). He is very curious and they definitely have a personality. But oh boy they eat. They are eating machines, especially for nori.
emperor1.jpg
How long do you have this guy. My is going on for 5 years bought him at juvy. Boss he is

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emperor1.jpg

How many times a day do you feed the tank and what do you feed?

It's good to know these things for those of us looking to try out an Emperor with the best know how possible for maximum success.

Thanks.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's good to know these things for those of us looking to try out an Emperor with the best know how possible for maximum success.

Thanks.
I feed my 2 x a day. Seaweed and Spectrum pellets in the morning and pellets in the afternoon. Saturday seaweed, chopped up table shrimp sometime frozen mysis and Formal 1 angel frozen food

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
emperor1.jpg

I'm really interested to hear about your experience with your Rock Beauty! I am considering adding an angel and Rock Beauty, Regal and a dwarf (Bicolor) are on my hit list.

Anyone else kept a Bicolor or a Rock Beauty?

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is very interesting.
My last tank (13 yrs ago) had a French Angel(Pomacanthus paru) I raised from 1" to 11" in a 180g tank. We loved as she went through the colorations. She never touched any of the mushrooms or soft corals. I did not have any LPS or SPS. The tank was not REEF but Fish with mushrooms and a few soft corals, two anemone. She owned the tank, ate most everything I put it, including chopped shrimp, clams, oysters, nori, krill. She got a leaf of romaine lettuce every other day. The yellow tang, rock beauty and kole tang ate the lettuce too.
I am starting up a new tank now and have been warned against almost all angels...I really want a blueface or Queen.

MtlReef25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks.
When I'm home on weekends I feed 3-4 times a day. Otherwise they have frozen food (mysis and brine shrimps) every mornings. I feed about a 3/4 of a 9x9 nori sheet each day when I come home from work. Nori is the favorite of all and they come take it from my fingers directly.
I also let a few pieces float for the more shy of them. The Emperor could probably eat Nori all day and burst out. They also get New Life Spectrum pellets of all types and sizes (I also have small fishes i there). Once in a while I throw flakes but I'm not a big fan of it.
I treat them with clams, lobster or fresh shrimps or mussels once in while or when available from the grocery. It's always a success! :)

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a flame angel but just to scared if it’s bad I can’t get I out!
Flames will nip all day and cause SPS to not show PE during the day.

I have kept an emperor angel with my SPS dominate tank.

Most angels in my experience will nip or eat clams.

Exiled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Emperor and Annularis in a reef tank, both adults (had for 3 years +). I also had a Regal and Chinese Blueline which died in a velvet outbreak.

My experience is that SPS in general will get nipped, but not attacked and Millepora get bothered and pretty much exist but don't grow. I wouldn't try fleshy LPS as way too expensive to be food!

One of them ate the only BTA I tried, in the first night, and one of them also eats any Aips in the DT. They were good with Hammer, Frogspawn and Duncan for 2 years until they noticed them and then one after the other each stopped extending so are now in my QT (alive, but terrified :) ).

In saying all of that the biggest coral pest is my Moorish - When he decides he wants something he keeps at it until it is dust.

First day as a member of this forum and first post - I have read Reef2Reef a lot over the years and this and the UK one (live in UK) are the only two I read as they tend to have the most interesting threads and knowledgeable reefers

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dozens of threads on this topic .... all mostly end up with some folks claiming angels never nipped, others that they decimated the tank and most somewhere in between. Thus ‘with caution’ LOL. There are some things you can control, others that you cannot. For example, I currently have a lemonpeel in my reef and he’s mostly OK. The prior one was a holy terror.

Also keep in mind that a persons tolerance for a nipping plays perhaps the biggest role. For somebody who cannot handle even a few nips, most angels will be a problem. If, like me, you are more sanguine about it, most angels are ‘fine’.

steve bergmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Harem of Flame Angels in my SPS tank for 11 years now. They do nip at the SPS corals but they don't harm them. My Emperor Angel eats soft corals especially Ricordia polyps, or Elegance Coral. The Rock Beauty never really bothers anything.

Here is a video of my tank :

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back