Angry torch coral - flaccid for 3-4 weeks.

jwood73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upsized tanks about a month ago and everyone is happy except for my torch coral. My torch seems flaccid/deflated, and it is not extending out its tentacles like normal. I have moved it twice after trying a spot for 2 weeks at a time. Currently it’s half way up in my water column and getting gentle/moderate flow.

The last pic is before I upgraded tanks.

I feed with brine shrimp and reefroids once a week and it seems like it maybe eats some? But not like it used to.

Any advice or tips?

Parameters:
pH: 8.2
Salinity: 34ppt
Temp: 78°F
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Kh/Alk: 8.9 dKH
Phosphate: 0.1-0.075ppm -> just added resin
Calcium: 430ppm
Magnesium: 1290ppm

Tank volume: 49.3gal (Waterbox 50.3)
Tank age: 3 months -> I transferred my 1 year old fluval evo to this tank. So I brought my live rock, sand, and bio media to this tank. Livestock has only been in the new tank for 1 month.

I don’t have a par meter. Using 2 X AI Prime 16HD’s they run around ~60% from 9am to 7pm. With 2 hour sunrise/sunset ramp. Settings below. I would think lighting would be messing with more than just my torch?

Maintenance:
10% water change weekly + siphoning sand bed
New filter floss every 2-3 days
Dose trace elements once a week.
Dose phyto and zoo plankton once a week.

IMG_5519.jpeg
IMG_5523.jpeg
IMG_5521.jpeg
IMG_5045.jpeg
IMG_5525.png

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe lighting to be an issue either, I run a similar intensity to you except alot more white, and in a 25" deep tank. Maybe try bumping your MG up to 1500 ppm. That's where I hold mine because euphelia and goni's like high Mag, it helps to keep algea growth down, and the other corals don't mind.

bbolin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to add any fresh dry rock when moving to the new tank? If so, that could throw off the system balance for a bit even though some live material was used as well.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with bumping mag, also maybe place in an area with lower flow since it looks a bit like the polyps are being pushed on to the skeleton. See how that goes and keep us updated

OP
OP
jwood73

jwood73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you happen to add any fresh dry rock when moving to the new tank? If so, that could throw off the system balance for a bit even though some live material was used as well.
I did add in some additional dry rock but I pre-cycled the rock before moving everything over. Also I was running resin for silicate during that time.

OP
OP
jwood73

jwood73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with bumping mag, also maybe place in an area with lower flow since it looks a bit like the polyps are being pushed on to the skeleton. See how that goes and keep us updated
Swapped to lower flow, been dosing mag, I’m running right around 1480ppm now. I did my weekly water change today and took a closer look and one of the heads was mostly gone, with the upper skeleton exposed. From what I read online, looks like the torch was too far gone so I went ahead and removed it from the tank.

My Duncan and frog spawn still seem to be thriving so I am not entirely sure why my torch died.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 149 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back