Angry Upgrade 120 to 230 Peninsula!

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on the photo period and intensity. Ive never used DinoX but many people have had success dosing bacteria. Have you ID’d the strain of Dino?

You’re definitely close but I might consider a 2nd Nitrate kit to compare numbers too. Anyone local you could borrow from or even an LFS to check numbers against. If you are at 8ppm. Dosing a little bit to be sure you clear 10 still doesn't seem like a waste of time IMO.

Water changes can feed into Dino. I know logically our mind says if things aren't looking great to do water changes but Id hate to see you feeding the beast. I did that for like 6 months in my first tank before finally coming to terms with what I was dealing with.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on the photo period and intensity. Ive never used DinoX but many people have had success dosing bacteria. Have you ID’d the strain of Dino?

You’re definitely close but I might consider a 2nd Nitrate kit to compare numbers too. Anyone local you could borrow from or even an LFS to check numbers against. If you are at 8ppm. Dosing a little bit to be sure you clear 10 still doesn't seem like a waste of time IMO.

Water changes can feed into Dino. I know logically our mind says if things aren't looking great to do water changes but Id hate to see you feeding the beast. I did that for like 6 months in my first tank before finally coming to terms with what I was dealing with.
I haven't taken the time to get a microscope to do an ID. Last night I started some peroxide dosing. I was looking back on my notes for my old 120g tank and what I did during a 'dirty' phase, not dinos, was peroxide dosing twice a day. That was 12ml per dose. I accompanied this by a 5g WC every other day for 2 weeks. The tank ended up much better by the end of this treatment.

This is why it is good to document this type of stuff and keep notes - otherwise you just forget what may have worked in the past. I'll skip the water changes until the weekend as I continue to dose peroxide. We'll see how it ends up.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't taken the time to get a microscope to do an ID. Last night I started some peroxide dosing. I was looking back on my notes for my old 120g tank and what I did during a 'dirty' phase, not dinos, was peroxide dosing twice a day. That was 12ml per dose. I accompanied this by a 5g WC every other day for 2 weeks. The tank ended up much better by the end of this treatment.

This is why it is good to document this type of stuff and keep notes - otherwise you just forget what may have worked in the past. I'll skip the water changes until the weekend as I continue to dose peroxide. We'll see how it ends up.
Hope it works out!

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I missed here? ;Pompus

The tank is still in the same stage as above but seems to be trending in the right direction. I've submitted an ATI ICP Test (2 weeks ago) and I'm waiting on the results. Once I get the results back I will be trying out a new dosing method for trace elements.

The tank hits 1 year old this month so I'll do an update on all the ups and mostly downs. I'm also hoping that this will be the magic number of stability so I can be on cruise control moving forward. I expect to put on more updates and content once I get going with this new method.

Side story: Bought a 3" 1/2 black 'mimic' tang this weekend. I fed the tank, then dumped him in. The flame angel proceeded to be a little sassy but nothing crazy. I watched for about 15 minutes and then went to go pickup some Chickfila. When I left, the tang was hiding by the return line. Typical of what you expect when adding a new fish - they usually hide in some capacity. Well... when I came back he was stuck to the mp40 on the other side of the tank... I immediately turned off the pump and he was still alive but torn up all over. After he was freed from that death trap - the foxface went crazy chasing him all over and beating him up even more. I scooped up the tang and put him in the sump to see if he would recover. He died overnight. This happened in a 15-20 minute span of me leaving... crazy. However - the lesson here is this death is 100% on me and avoidable. I thought I knew better when I 'assumed' the other fish wouldn't have any issues with this tang. Very wrong. I should have gotten out my ghetto acclimation box made from a critter carrier and acclimated him the correct way. Shame on me, sorry fishy...

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed ya JV.... Last I saw you had converted to a birder :)

I've submitted an ATI ICP Test (2 weeks ago) and I'm waiting on the results.
Seems like a long wait... I've gotten Triton results in 8 days my last two tests. Is ATI tested state side or sent oversea's?

Sorry about the Mimic... All you can do is learn from it and move forward. Acclimation box changed everything so far as new additions went for me. Wouldn't go without again.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed ya JV.... Last I saw you had converted to a birder :)

Seems like a long wait... I've gotten Triton results in 8 days my last two tests. Is ATI tested state side or sent oversea's?

Sorry about the Mimic... All you can do is learn from it and move forward. Acclimation box changed everything so far as new additions went for me. Wouldn't go without again.

I'm all about the birbs now!

ATI is in Germany. People in my area have said it's been taking pretty much 14 days exactly.

How long do you leave your fish in the acclimation box?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you leave your fish in the acclimation box?
2-5 days in lock up depending on the reaction they receive and how they're fairing in the box. My pintail for example kept freaking out in the box and I worried more about him injuring himself than being attacked so he got paroled in less than a day. But more often than not its 48 hours.

If I see any aggresion after release its definitely less than Ive experienced in the past without using a box and will resort to a mirror on/off for another day or two til it subsides.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-5 days in lock up depending on the reaction they receive and how they're fairing in the box. My pintail for example kept freaking out in the box and I worried more about him injuring himself than being attacked so he got paroled in less than a day. But more often than not its 48 hours.

If I see any aggresion after release its definitely less than Ive experienced in the past without using a box and will resort to a mirror on/off for another day or two til it subsides.
How much is parole?

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test results came on Tuesday (23 day wait). Here is a link to the results: https://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/f38fd9791a635112a23b

I'm picking up the majority of my required elements today to begin correction dosages. Additionally I'm going to grab a cheap frag pack from the LFS so I have something to measure success against. I will post more detail on what I plan to do as a result of these results :p

The tank hit 1 year old on the 6th. I plan to post a synopsis of everything that happened in this past year and what I plan for next year!

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker for phosphate testing - I was running low on the reagent and went to my LFS to check if they carry it, but they only carry the Hanna Phosphate Checker reagent. I was searching online with the shop owner to see if it would work in my checker still, we couldn't find any solid yes or no answer. I bought the reagent anyways and told him I'd test it out. So as a gift to the world I have CONFIRMED you can use the Hanna phosphate (774) reagent in a Hanna phosphorus checker (736).

The results read 190ppb with the 'correct' reagent (736) - and read 192ppb with the 'wrong' reagent (774). If this doesn't surprise you then congratulations, you are smarter than everyone else ;Bookworm

Please watch my video as evidence and a reward for this very difficult test I endured for the greater good :p

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Isn't there now a 3rd phosphate checker out there? Does that newest one use one of the two same reagents?
Didn't know there were 3 so I had to check lol

So there are the following:
ULR Phosphorus 736
ULR Phosphate 774
LR Phosphate 713

I have no idea why there are two ranges for Phosphate and I personally would never use anything outside of the ultra low range checkers. I feel like the reagents are all the same and just the math used within the checker is different... but I'm just a regular guy making uneducated assumptions ;Playful

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to all this. I enjoyed this thread, only wish was for more pics. :)
The people have spoken and I will deliver!

Feast your eyes!

20191217_203404.jpg
20191213_202342.jpg
20191216_171701.jpg
20191213_202354.jpg
20191214_112240.jpg
20191213_220829.jpg
20191213_220834.jpg
20191213_202332.jpg
20191212_210947.jpg
20191216_171707.jpg
20191213_220823.jpg
20191213_220826.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back