Animal Skulls in Reef

Twink_w_a_Reef

Just a twink and his reef
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2019
Messages
2,390
Reaction score
5,756
Location
ATL BAYBAYYY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gator head just finished decomposing:
E5EA2AA0-87A9-4CCC-9016-665AC317AB7C.jpeg
I’m not gonna put it in the tank I’m just curious, has anyone ever put an actual animal skull in a reef tank?
It’s mostly calcium but there’s also things like collagen and inorganic salts in the bone, I’m not sure how the things other than calcium would affect a reef but it’d be lit to have legit bones grown over in coral. Anyone ever tried it?
 
Hopefully it didn't come in contact with any chemicals/pesticides etc...I'd probably give it a bleach soak to clean up any organics and detritus too.
 
Hopefully it didn't come in contact with any chemicals/pesticides etc...I'd probably give it a bleach soak to clean up any organics and detritus too.
Definitely no pesticides there was tons of decomposers when I dug it up during decomposition :D it was crazy the variation in bug life that was living within the decaying tissues
 
If it could be done safely that’d be an insane thing for some good encrusters to cover….
Especially if it was all separated from the mandible and settled over some rock, some large branching and encrusting corals on the top, shrooms and palys growing around the teeth
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new