OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is how the tank look partially from the top...

20190729_174834.jpg

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now some acros...

20190729_174616_001.jpg

BC bubblebath unicorn and Fox flame

20190729_174626.jpg

TCK new release

20190729_174709_001.jpg

TSA Fruity peebles

20190729_174724.jpg

Unknown

20190729_174942.jpg

TSA twisted sister

20190729_175006.jpg
Anirban,
do you do water changes and how often, how much. I've started component 123 several months back and haven't noticed anything, did lose several SPS due to change in salt type. I had reduced water changes thinking that smaller daily changes were better but I've since gone back to 15 gallon changes every two weeks and things look better. My parameters are dead on so other than change in salt can't place blame on anything other than that. I have 100 gal system 70 DT and 30 sump. Just trying to see what your doing, corals are awesome, someday I will get there but a little leary right now until I get the whole Aquaforest deal set up.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anirban,
do you do water changes and how often, how much. I've started component 123 several months back and haven't noticed anything, did lose several SPS due to change in salt type. I had reduced water changes thinking that smaller daily changes were better but I've since gone back to 15 gallon changes every two weeks and things look better. My parameters are dead on so other than change in salt can't place blame on anything other than that. I have 100 gal system 70 DT and 30 sump. Just trying to see what your doing, corals are awesome, someday I will get there but a little leary right now until I get the whole Aquaforest deal set up.

Hey,

I do water changes and depends on my mood and time. But generally 10% in every 3-4 weeks. I use reef salt and probiotic salt 3:1 ratio. I dose homemade component 123 and keeps my alk at 7.5-8dkH. i generally dont dose anything else on regular basis but once a week some lugols iodine 3-4 drops. I dose some bacteria maybe once in every 2 weeks. I feed quite a lot but my system holds it well. I have siporax in sump as I dont use a lot of rock. you mentioned of changing salt so from which salt you moved and what are you using currently?

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone.

Its been really a long time since I wrote something in this forum. Today I am going to restart the adventure again so I thought to post the story till today since my last post.

So, as few of you may know that I bought our first house and moved last October. It was a great experience to move out of your apartment and get into a place which you call your home. I planned pretty extensively to start my new reefing adventure in the new house and was planning it for last 2 years since I booked the house. i ordered my new tank, stand and sump all as a package deal from crystal reef aquatics. after moving into the new house I planned everything and after almost 5 weeks I decided to ask them about the build progress.

Here comes the shock. I was informed the shop is closing down but they assured me that the tank will be build. But they didn't have any idea about the rest of it. After spending alot of time and discussion I finally decided to pull out the order. :(

The owner was very helpful and nice guy. He refunded me all the money immediately. But now I am stuck with my corals and system. All of my SPS died in next 15 days including all my fish. I was devastated. I was left with a bag full of dead corals. I also used up the money for other home improvement stuffs. so, at this point I decided to quit the hobby as I really thought its not worth it anymore. :(:(

I was missing the crazinessof water changing or chatting with people here. I used to look other tanks all day but knew there is no way I can do it. Last week I asked my wife about her opinion about starting fresh. She asked me how much i love this hobby? The answer was definitely alot. She said I should restart the tank and build it again. :D:D:D:D:D

So, here I am coming back again and starting a fresh. This will be an interesting journey for me. Like my earlier version this one will be a full blown Aquaforest tank from day 1 but I will combine a fuge with this. Lets see how the journey goes this time. This will be a full blown SPS tank but I have some different ideas for the SPS collection.

Stay tuned pictures are coming soon.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear of your coral/fish loss, but glad to hear you are back and rebuilding! Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Thank you. It was very hard for me to see my 3 year old buddies dying slowly. But I promised myself I will never let it happen again. I always loved your tank with all those colorful SPS. Hope I will get it up and running soon. I already finish building the aquascape. I will post it tonight.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hate to hear about the troubles. It was probably best you got your money back also if there were any warranty issues it would of been hard to deal with. Glad you are sticking around and starting over.
Yes, warranty was the main thing on my mind. I knew if something happens there is none to help.
Sticks are always very sticky...its very hard to stay away from sticks...lol:p

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first off ... Welcome back!! That’s quite a journey you’ve been on. Sorry to hear about all of the set backs and losses. The hobby is in your blood and it will always be. I’m sure your new system will be amazing as always ❤️

I want to congratulate you on your persistence and perseverance!

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well first off ... Welcome back!! That’s quite a journey you’ve been on. Sorry to hear about all of the set backs and losses. The hobby is in your blood and it will always be. I’m sure your new system will be amazing as always ❤

I want to congratulate you on your persistence and perseverance!
Thanks Michael, I love reefing and I love this forum even more. Talking to all you people always bring smile to my face. :D

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are some images to start with....

My old friends..

20200204_212136.jpg

I have one more box like this.

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now to start with the new journey.....

While I was thinking of aquascaping I wanted to do something new. I learned from my last tank that open aquascape helps the fish and corals. I am going to do a barebottom again but the aquascape will be very open.

I started to build it using the clean cycled rock which I collected for my future tank over a year. There all kind of rocks. I choose few to start with.
20200202_144738.jpg

I used my old and trusted friend......AF Stone fix
This thing is a charm. Mix in small volume and build your structure slowly. After 24 hours its ready for water and no skimmer overflow or any other side effect. The only issue is its very hard to find.

20200204_215400.jpg

OP
OP
Anirban

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After 2 days of brainstorming I came up with few structures. I took these inspiration and tried to add different elements of aquascaping like arches, bonsai and towers with shelves. This is what I came up with.

20200204_212116.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%

Back