OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I'm pretty sure I want a bunch of different corals so I'm actually hoping these ones grow on the slow side

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up these 2 today:

f0d684d8b0bfb7dcce3e099bd97f8e80.jpg

I can see why it's so easy to drop a ton of money on corals.

Also decided to move the goby out of QT and in to the DT. I know it hasn't been a full month, but so far he's been eating and active. He came from a reputable source (ORA) and never touched my LFS water. So I'm fairly confident he's disease free. If not, I'm more than willing to eat my words and dedicate time and money to a hospital tank.

Plus I'm picking up 2 clowns tomorrow so I have to break down, clean, and set up the QT tonight.

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my goby is missing one of his fins on top (very scientific, I know). I've attached a picture. It looks like maybe he scraped it against a rock, since he does live in a cave. But now he won't let the shrimp touch him and swims away whenever they come near. Just wondering what it might be, if I should worry or not.
8b9345a2353e0000e2ff957aafc75dd2.jpg

bklraqurium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the diatoms are in full force. I have to admit, I was excited at first to see stuff grow, but now it's just ugly. I picked up 6 Trochus snails who are going at it, but they decided the inside of the rocks needed to be cleaned as well, so I never see them.

Also got 2 small cleaner shrimp. Sometimes they're a bit territorial, sometimes they are friends. It's a love-hate relationship with them, but they haven't molted yet so I'm taking that as a fairly good sign.

And lastly, my boyfriend decided he wanted a Tiger Tail sea cucumber (since he wants a golden dwarf eel and I keep telling him no. The cucumber kinda resembles an eel, right?). While I don't want to get animals just because they will do a job for me, it would be nice if he'd move from the cave he found to the sand and start cleaning that for me. But oh well.

Here's some ugly pictures (you can tell where the snails have been):
ccb34c7ef99d26d173599bd4edf46564.jpg

ec8e006312653c2588f6a82895e3e5d1.jpg

Also, have a few things that I ordered:

- A camera to hook up to the Apex (I'm definitely going to be a helicopter parent)
- AquaticLife 115 skimmer
- inTank fuge basket
- jBj nano- glo LED light for fuge
- and that new IM custom cradle nano probe holder
Update us on the skimmer. I've been thinking about it for my 29gal Biocube.

bklraqurium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up! I've my BioCube since June 2015. I have an I tank media basket, and their refugium with the JBJ nano light. I kept the hood, but did a DIY LED upgrade. The big purchase for me was the Apex, but it was a must. My live stock is pretty limited, but is about to get outrageous. Right now I have 2 Clowns and a Sand-sifting Goby. My coral includes a frogspawn, Candy Cane, Green Button Polyps, Zoanthids, Pulsating Xenia, red carpet mushrooms, and a Green Stripe Mushroom.

image.jpeg
Update! New coral!
image.jpeg

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!! As for the skimmer, after tweaking a bit and getting some help from people, I like it. I think it still needs to break in a bit but it starting to pull out some green water. It fits in the first compartment really well (although I don't have the hood). Once I get used to it, I'll update more.

Also just a quick update: my goby has intestinal worms. Just went out and got everything I need for a hospital tank. That makes 5 tanks I have up and running.

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your skimmer doing...still like it? I'm torn on whether or not I like this little thing. I have it in chamber 1 of my BC29 and I've modded both the air intake like (to extend it up about 3 inches) and have modded the clips so that it attaches to the tank by magnet instead of suction cups. It produces a very very wet skim, but at least it is pulling stuff out of the water.

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your skimmer doing...still like it? I'm torn on whether or not I like this little thing. I have it in chamber 1 of my BC29 and I've modded both the air intake like (to extend it up about 3 inches) and have modded the clips so that it attaches to the tank by magnet instead of suction cups. It produces a very very wet skim, but at least it is pulling stuff out of the water.

I do like it. It actually isn't filling up super quickly for me, probably because I'm not really feeding the tank due to housing my fish in a hospital tank and QT tank. I find that the airline hose has started to make gurgling noises for whatever reason (I did the airline mod), so I just clamped the end of it. No more noise and it's still working. I decided just to use the bracket to hang it on, works really well. Only other issue is the cup is kinda hard to get on and off but I'm sure it will get easier as things go on.

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that goby has a dorsal fin missing, it's just pulled down against his body.

Unfortunately it is/was missing. I got him in a hospital tank (has been in there for a week and a half to 2 weeks) and treated him with 2 rounds of prazipro for intestinal worms. His "scrape" has healed and I think his fin might be growing back. I'm trying to decide if I want to do one more round of prazi or just observe him for this last week.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a good round of deworming, soaking some food in garlic oil every once in awhile will keep the worms at bay. Or a type of New Life Spectrum foods has garlic in it but don't want to feed it too often, garlic is bad for fish's livers.

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90addc2b87f90d331ab2be306fe0b8f6.jpg

Well it looks like one of my cleaner shrimp is pregnant! Too bad I won't have little shrimp babies swimming around.

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also think I spotted an asterina starfish. Must have come in on a coral, even though I've dipped all my corals in Revive. Deciding if I should leave it or take it out before it explodes to a million.

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the tank is going through a bacterial bloom. It's really cloudy and annoying and not a whole lot I can do but wait for it to go away.

OP
OP
FindingEmily

FindingEmily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish and corals should relish the shrimp larvae once they hatch.

It happened probably about an hour after I transferred my clownfish from QT. I like to think of it as a house warming gift from the shrimp to the fish. And yes, they were in heaven!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back