another apex flaw? is it a money grab? lets talk about that

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three tanks on one apex. Yes, separate pm1 modules, probes and eb832 units. But they are all in the same room, and can connect by the aquabus no problem. What you are describing is not unique to Apex. The more tanks you have, the more things you have to buy. Now that there are cheaper units available, I suggest weighing the pro/cons of separate modules vs a new Apex head unit or another controller brand. Controllers are not required for reefing, however. It is a choice we make with the understanding that we are paying for the extra convenience; Well, when it works! :grinning-squinting-face:

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the exact sams issues in this hobby - everything is proprietary, app controlled, garbage. I don' t know much about apex (other than I see no reason to have one compared to what I use), but it seems to me from what I see - you buy into Apex, you're stuck with their (mostly) everything.

Consumers must demand more open systems. The ability to add I/O and use non-proprietary sensors, equipment, etc. AND be repairable must be demanded. I hate the thought of not being able to use a SS thermister 'off the shelf' to read temp, or a 4-20ma condictivity probe of my choosing, or standard amperage transmitters for status and energy useage - there are tons of sensors availble that we desire (pH, salinity, ORP, etc) - some out of most peoples price range for sure, but the ability to not use this high dollar equipment without 3 different apps and a controller in the $1000's, I expect open, reliable, repairable and fucntional.
Very good points. Historically, interoperability is often forced when not provided. Although, it does require a good deal of motivation.
I'll just leave this here:

Last edited:

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally used the Digital Aquatics platform. I still have a Archon running but it only controls moon lights and a couple of lighting channels. I went to the Hydros system. With it the modules are controllers which can be used on their own or collectively together as a unit. So when you buy a add on module it can be a standalone controller or be added to a collective. The collective has to be connected together via a command buss cable so they can communicate with each other to share inputs and outputs. In the case of the OP they could probably just add a X3 and call it a day. That has a probe input for either pH or ORP. It has two sense ports one will be used by the temp sensor. The other could be either a water level sensor or a leak detector. Then just use a command buss cable to hook it to the existing collective. Then add it to the collective in the app. I started with the X4 starter kit in the garage. At first I had no Hydros controllers at the tank so I had to pass signals back and forth between the Archon and the Hydros. The Hydros controlled my ATO and then AWC to begin with. I added the RODI and finally the tank to the Hydros over time. I am now up to 9 Hydros controllers in the collective. So you can convert things slowly over time if need be.

reefkeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sad, i‘ve decided on my second take to go with Hydro's, if the experience is good I’ll flip my main tank. I’ve used Neptunes tech for 20 years but honestly they have not made it easy at times to expand with them.

When they do come out with new stuff it’s borderline greedy, $100 liquid level sensor, come on. $300 power-strip that doesn’t have Wi-Fi? $30 usb cable?

The doser, Ato, lights, salinity probe, pumps are all second to other solution. The proprietary approach to an all in one solution only works if your add-ones are reasonably competitive in quality and cost.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back