Another black box thread

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm looking to install lights over my reefer 350 so I can move the prime back to my snail/coral qt. The hydra26 I had is out for repairs. The other will go out once this is back. I am thinking of switching to black boxes just not sure which. Was thinking of the viparspectra 165 in a 2 pack from eBay for $235 but then I saw the popbloom for a bit more with what seems a better control that allows ramping and has 4 channels. Not sure if leds can be replaced though when they fail. Then there is the smatfarm or whatever it's called. Ideally I'd like one that's reliable and can be repaired at home if an LED or driver fails. I see a lot using viparspectra but seems the white channel needs updating the LEDs.

Anyone use the popbloom that allows linking lights. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3320064605...eZ29|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2332490&epid=1395564491

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first setup my 130 gallon I went with Viparspectra, the lights work fine and they grow coral. The white channel was barely employed. Due to my mistake, I shorted the lights and looked for a replacement. My tank is in my basement and the humidity got so high last summer during July that condensation shorted the lights.

I was going to replace them or get them fixed but I found Smat Farm G4 lights that had more features, killer shimmer and the weigh a fraction of the Viparspectra and take up alot less real estate.
I bought two and they grow corals well.
I just couldn't see throwing alot of money at lights when there are options, reasonably priced that grow corals.
Plus I'm going to pick up a dehumidifier, not going to make the same mistake twice lol
Screenshot_20220212-163341_Amazon Shopping.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[
When I first setup my 130 gallon I went with Viparspectra, the lights work fine and they grow coral. The white channel was barely employed. Due to my mistake, I shorted the lights and looked for a replacement. My tank is in my basement and the humidity got so high last summer during July that condensation shorted the lights.

I was going to replace them or get them fixed but I found Smat Farm G4 lights that had more features, killer shimmer and the weigh a fraction of the Viparspectra and take up alot less real estate.
I bought two and they grow corals well.
I just couldn't see throwing alot of money at lights when there are options, reasonably priced that grow corals.
Plus I'm going to pick up a dehumidifier, not going to make the same mistake twice lol
Screenshot_20220212-163341_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Any clue if these can be repaired if the led fail? Or modified for better led layout/spectrum? Long term reliability. My ai seem to die after a year or 2 except the one prime on my Max nano seems to work perfectly after 5 years.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[
Any clue if these can be repaired if the led fail? Or modified for better led layout/spectrum? Long term reliability. My ai seem to die after a year or 2 except the one prime on my Max nano seems to work perfectly after 5 years.
I have no idea, regarding the Viparspectra, I'm going to reach out to them to see if I can get them repaired to use on a frag tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back