Another DIY Reactor

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share a modified stirrer into a DIY kalk reactor. I bought 5L version of the stirrer below and did some minor mods reusing some old plumbing stuff. Working great! Aliexpress. Modified the feed tube. Drilled the exit and put on a 1/2 bulk head with some gaskets. I took inspiration from A.V. and other kalk stirrers using a PVC union and elbow for easy maintence. The stirrer motor itself works fine on a Apex schedule. Simple alternative for the fun DYI and of course saving $$$. Besides I like the red as it matches the rest of my plumbing. =)

1693931278746.png

into:

1693931712824.png

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I used a DIY stirrer for years and it looked a whole lot worse than yours. I am a huge stirrer fan and wish there were more options out there. I would love a small hang-on version for Nanos.

OP
OP
S

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still working out the kinks, but I don't think it is with the Rx itself but the whole kalk stirrer principles. I've commented on other threads trying to solve the problem as I'm find myself dosing alot more kalk volume contrary to various calculators around. I thought maybe my kalk was bad, or I'm not stirring enough. I'm now on an hourly timer to stir for 10 mins turning the water very milky white and opaque which suggest it's a good stir however it quickly settles after 5 mins leaving mostly clear water when the doser kicks on. I'm now playing with the timing trying to get it closer to the stir time without actually dosing the milk water which I read is bad.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back