Another fallow period/Ich question.

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of mocha clowns, a pink skunk clown and a potters angel, I have had all three for about 3 years and they are healthy eating fish. Occasionally I see one or two white spot on the potters at times so I know there ich in the display. I am getting ready to do a tank swap so I thought it would be a great time to do a fallow period and treat the fish while I fallow the new display, plus this will give the new display time to recover should anything go wrong with the swap. 76 days should be enough to fix all the issues. Now onto my question. Since my fish are all healthy, should I just simply treat them for ich during this period? I don't want to put them through any treatment that isn't necessary.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a pair of mocha clowns, a pink skunk clown and a potters angel, I have had all three for about 3 years and they are healthy eating fish. Occasionally I see one or two white spot on the potters at times so I know there ich in the display. I am getting ready to do a tank swap so I thought it would be a great time to do a fallow period and treat the fish while I fallow the new display, plus this will give the new display time to recover should anything go wrong with the swap. 76 days should be enough to fix all the issues. Now onto my question. Since my fish are all healthy, should I just simply treat them for ich during this period? I don't want to put them through any treatment that isn't necessary.
Like my potters, they occasionally get sand on their bodies… and even my coral beauty and gone the next day
Keep an eye on it to assure the dots don’t multiply or move on the fish

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like my potters, they occasionally get sand on their bodies… and even my coral beauty and gone the next day
Keep an eye on it to assure the dots don’t multiply or move on the fish
I am not worried about the fish, they are fine. I only run barebottom so I am fairly certain its not sand... I guess it could be detritus. Very rare, but I have seen him scratch on a rock. My question is geared toward ensuring the new setup is ich free.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I guess I'd also question if the fish have ich - one or two spots in a three year captive fish doesn't sound like ich. In the early stages, the ich trophonts will come and go about every 2 to 3 days, changing location and numbers. The spots will look like salt grains.

You could put the fish through a "re quarantine" during the fallow period, but don't bother doing that unless your intent is to strictly quarantine any new fish down the road.

Jay

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'd also question if the fish have ich - one or two spots in a three year captive fish doesn't sound like ich. In the early stages, the ich trophonts will come and go about every 2 to 3 days, changing location and numbers. The spots will look like salt grains.

You could put the fish through a "re quarantine" during the fallow period, but don't bother doing that unless your intent is to strictly quarantine any new fish down the road.

Jay
That was the plan, quarantine from here on out on the new system.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not worried about the fish, they are fine. I only run barebottom so I am fairly certain its not sand... I guess it could be detritus. Very rare, but I have seen him scratch on a rock. My question is geared toward ensuring the new setup is ich free.
I would be patient. Just watch the fish for a week or so - if the spots come and go - and then come again - I would be concerned about a parasite, My answer to your specific question - quarantine them per protocol - then you will be sure. with minimal risk

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like maybe my question wasnt clear. So I will break it down.

1. when I swap to a new tank, I want to be certain it is ich free, so I will go fallow for 76 days.
2. the fish will be kept in a QT tank during those 76 days.
3. I am not certain if they have ich, but I believe I have seen it in the old display.
4. Can I treat the fish while in QT to ensure there is no ich to be transfered?

My primary goal is an ich free new display. If the fish carry ich into the new display, QT practices on new additions will be a moot point. I want to avoid this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1. when I swap to a new tank, I want to be certain it is ich free, so I will go fallow for 76 days.
3. I am not certain if they have ich, but I believe I have seen it in the old display.

My primary goal is an ich free new display. If the fish carry ich into the new display, QT practices on new additions will be a moot point. I want to avoid this.

Yes - use coppersafe at 2.25 ppm for 30 days and then praziquantel twice, 8 days apart. That should be your standard quarantine going forward, so all fish will start with a level playing field.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

you are (based on your description) is right. In other words. treat per the quarantine proticol at the top of the thread

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome guys! Thank you. I think I try to get too descriptive at times and it leads people away from what I am asking. Thank you for being patient and sticking with me. The potters is a fat healthy specimen. She’s a pig that eats constantly LOL.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back