Another lineatus wrasse issue...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm bumping this because my lineatus in QT is exhibiting behavior that could be swim bladder or spinal injury. I don't have a video but can get one tomorrow.

I've had the fish since Black Friday. It's been in QT since. I QT for about 2-4 weeks. Eating pellets, mysis, brine, basically anything i put in the tank from day 1.

About two days ago I noticed the fish starting to swim funny. Tail down, head up. Pectoral fins doing most of the work. Swim bladder immediately popped into my head so I put it on erithromycin. Monday will be day 3 on it. Today very little swimming, mostly just getting blown around by the powerhead in the QT. Tried eating and would try to swim on its own but just always seemed to just miss the food. Later in the day I found it resting upside down on the bottom. I moved one of the pieces of PVC in the QT and it awkwardly swam away upside down.

I do not see any bulges in the abdomen. Just the odd swimming behavior.

Swim bladder? Spinal cord injury? Something else?

Should I continue with the erithromycin? Try something else?

Thanks.
Tail down, using pectorals, but no or not much tail is spinal. Tail up and using the whole body and noticeably using the tail is swim bladder.

For a spinal injury there is not much that can be done. Some fish recover, some don't.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks EatBreakfast and Evolved. I fed the fish by hand today. Greedily ate mysis and NLS pellets. It was attempting to swim more today. Fingers crossed this passes. Such a beautiful fish and I felt so lucky to get one that didn't suffer from a swim bladder issue but then somehow did a number on itself in this way. If this one doesn't make it, I'd like to try another but so hesitant due to all the swim bladder issues.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks EatBreakfast and Evolved. I fed the fish by hand today. Greedily ate mysis and NLS pellets. It was attempting to swim more today. Fingers crossed this passes. Such a beautiful fish and I felt so lucky to get one that didn't suffer from a swim bladder issue but then somehow did a number on itself in this way. If this one doesn't make it, I'd like to try another but so hesitant due to all the swim bladder issues.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about a swim bladder infection, it does happen, but not super frequently.

Quick question. Do you have a glass top? The vast majority of spinal injuries are from fish jumping and hitting the glass top.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned about a swim bladder infection, it does happen, but not super frequently.

Quick question. Do you have a glass top? The vast majority of spinal injuries are from fish jumping and hitting the glass top.
The QT does in fact have a glass top. Lesson learned. Screen tops for jumpers.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back