Another lineatus wrasse issue...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I've had this fish close to two weeks or so, and at first it swam almost normal, hardly noticeable. Fairy wrasses have strange behaviors sometimes so I overlooked it.

First week he swam at the top of the water column which struck me as a bit odd and behaved somewhat strange but let's face it fairy wrasse are odd characters sometimes. Figured that's just his wheelhouse. Now he's at the bottom.

Progressively, he swims as if his tail gets heavier and heavier. He's having obvious balance issues although still "upright" he acts like his tail has an anchor hanging off of it. Head up tail down. When he uses his fins he temporarily rights himself but just behaves strangely.

Appetite still great, looks otherwise healthy, my other 8 or so fairy wrasses, 6 leopards and 2 halichoeres are all perfectly fine. No symptoms of anything on any of them except for the lineatus swimming strangely.

Does this guy have a swim bladder issue? Something else?

Here's a video (switch to 720P HD)

Last edited:

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start treating now while you have a chance. If you wait too late then it's gone.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it is in QT. What type of flow do you have in there? My rubrisqamis does similar behavior when I turn off all powerheads to take photos. When in high flow, everything is back to normal.

Vmacisback

Vern McCalla
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had the same issue before with wrasses, its like one day they just cant swim anymore. Its frustrating and never had one really to continue to eat and thrive after the first couple days with the issue. I am not sure if there is treatment but I think it is some kind of infection in their bladder, i may be wrong on that diagnosis though.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start treating now while you have a chance. If you wait too late then it's gone.

I'm OK if I know what treatment is needed and I can catch the little bugger!

:/

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm OK if I know what treatment is needed and I can catch the little bugger!

:/
Treat for bacterial infection and parasites. There is no sure answer of what the issue is. Start with metroplex by seachem. Also, feed it as much as possible so that it remains strong because it may get to the point where it will stop eating and you need to now fatten it up.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it is in QT. What type of flow do you have in there? My rubrisqamis does similar behavior when I turn off all powerheads to take photos. When in high flow, everything is back to normal.
I don't qt my wrasses - I treat the DT with prazi pro and hopefully whatever else is needed. My QT is occupied as its full of fish while I run a tank fallow at the moment. Wrasse aren't very susceptible to ich or velvet.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Treat for bacterial infection and parasites. There is no sure answer of what the issue is. Start with metroplex by seachem. Also, feed it as much as possible so that it remains strong because it may get to the point where it will stop eating and you need to now fatten it up.
Any of that reef safe?

I can start round of prazi he hasn't gotten it yet I was waiting for my last wrasse coming tomorrow and making sure it was eating well.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[HASHTAG]#humblefish[/HASHTAG] where are you? :D

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's going to tell you to boil peas and give him one, which is probably good advice.

When do they actually eat these things? As much as I love the humble what wrasse wants to eat a pea??

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@3FordFamily look here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-swimbladder-issue.202289/

Lineatus is a deep water species primarily collected in Australia. Most likely, the collector(s) are not decompressing them properly (time is money, right?) Somebody needs to take a trip down under and kick some butt.

You can try any of the following just in case I am wrong about this: feeding peeled boiled peas, dosing Epsom salt at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gals, or even trying a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex.

But if it is a swim bladder issue due to improper decompression only time or possibly "needling" will fix it. Look here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/butterfly-bloated-stomach.202909/

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@3FordFamily look here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-swimbladder-issue.202289/

Lineatus is a deep water species primarily collected in Australia. Most likely, the collector(s) are not decompressing them properly (time is money, right?) Somebody needs to take a trip down under and kick some ***.

You can try any of the following just in case I am wrong about this: feeding peeled boiled peas, dosing Epsom salt at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 gals, or even trying a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex.

But if it is a swim bladder issue due to improper decompression only time or possibly "needling" will fix it. Look here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/butterfly-bloated-stomach.202909/

Is all of this reef safe?

Do many LFS carry kanaplex?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add... "time" or waiting it out usually results in the fish's death, but not always. "Needling" is very invasive/risky, especially on a fish so small. Therefore, most fish with air trapped in their swim bladder usually do die. :(

The "pea trick", Epsom salt, Kanaplex all have a better chance of success if the fish is just suffering from constipation. Symptoms can be very similar to swim bladder disorder sometimes. Not all fish will eat a pea. But you really have nothing to lose by trying - worst thing that happens is you have a pea floating around in your tank. A snail or hermit will eventually take care of it. ;)

LE0

High end Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GL with your lineatus wrasse. I had mine for 2 years now I would have a heart attack if something happened to it

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is all of this reef safe?

Do many LFS carry kanaplex?

Epsom salt & peas are reef safe - but "officially" no antibiotic is unless it is binded to food. However, I did use Kanaplex once in a 40 breeder reef and saw no ill effects. I dosed it once every 48 hrs for a total of 3 times and then ran carbon 24 hrs after the final dose.

Unfortunately, you are more likely to find some herbal remedy or tea tree extract from India in a LFS than any actual medication. FWIW; I do have a friend who claims to have "cured" swim bladder disorder in a wrasse by using Pimafix & Melafix (both herbal "reef safe" remedies.) I gave up on that stuff 20+ years ago. One of these days I will start experimenting with it again.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read this.

As @Marquiseo said, the earlier you can treat the better your chances. The antibiotics won't go over well in your reef tank so you'll have to get a QT set up. Kanaplex + Metroplex + Furan2 would be a good combination to try along with the epsom salts.

Would only try to decompress the air bladder as a last resort. Very invasive and it's not easy to do. You can pretty much follow what we did in the other thread and hope you have better luck than @Marquiseo and I did.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS NOT A SWIM BLADDER ISSUE!!! Swim bladder issues usually will exhibit, though not always, a swelling in the abdomen and the back end of the fish will "float" not sink. It also usually presents itself sooner after collection than in your case.

Your situation is much more likely a spinal injury instead. This is very common with fairy wrasses, as their primary defense resonse is to dart quickly up or out of the way of danger. It could have hit a rock or the sides of the tank. The telltale symptoms re the tail "sinking" and not using the tail to swim. Sometimes they get bwtter, sometimes they don't, but it is not a swim bladder infection.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Epsom salt & peas are reef safe - but "officially" no antibiotic is unless it is binded to food. However, I did use Kanaplex once in a 40 breeder reef and saw no ill effects. I dosed it once every 48 hrs for a total of 3 times and then ran carbon 24 hrs after the final dose.

Unfortunately, you are more likely to find some herbal remedy or tea tree extract from India in a LFS than any actual medication. FWIW; I do have a friend who claims to have "cured" swim bladder disorder in a wrasse by using Pimafix & Melafix (both herbal "reef safe" remedies.) I gave up on that stuff 20+ years ago.

I can't imagine either doing much productive. I ordered kanaplex but not sure if the 5 gram amount will suffice with three doses in a 125.

Sounds like you're saying chances are that its not an infection and it's much much more likely a compression/swim bladder issue.

Is it worth the risk to dose it at all then?

I am not opposed to needling the little guy. Where would one find a needle? I know where to find the video of how to.

Catching him may pose difficult but I'll try to find where he sleeps and pounce him there! :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back