Another Magnificna naturally split

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night one of my Magnifica anemone split. He is a beautiful anemone with purple column and yellow tipped tentacles. He was a little too big for where I want him so I have not feed him directly for years. He is under a lot of light, right under a Radion G3 Pro, Max light for 11 hrs a day.
Magnifica2017072101.jpg

bpinkstaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tell me your secrets I just got one 3 weeks ago going great but want to make sure it last! I have seen many diving and love them some as big as a truck bed almost mine of course went straight to front glass so I got another power head on it to tick it off so it will move! Any advise is well appreciated

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica is one of the easiest anemone to keep from wandering. Most of the host anemones require stable condition with great water condition to be happy. They will move if unhappy. It is a lot easier for me to keep Magnifica from moving in compare to BTA.
For Magnifica, if you provide them with adequate (very bright) light and current, Good and stable water condition they will not move. Even with sub optimal condition, it you put them on an island of LR so that in order to leave the island, they have to move down first they will likely not move because moving down will result in lower light and lower current.
However, if condition is too bad for them to tolerate, they just release and flow with the current.

My tank is mostly SPS with anemones. I don't have much room in my 320 for SPS, but what I have are doing great.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifica is one of the easiest anemone to keep from wandering. Most of the host anemones require stable condition with great water condition to be happy. They will move if unhappy. It is a lot easier for me to keep Magnifica from moving in compare to BTA.
For Magnifica, if you provide them with adequate (very bright) light and current, Good and stable water condition they will not move. Even with sub optimal condition, it you put them on an island of LR so that in order to leave the island, they have to move down first they will likely not move because moving down will result in lower light and lower current.
However, if condition is too bad for them to tolerate, they just release and flow with the current.

My tank is mostly SPS with anemones. I don't have much room in my 320 for SPS, but what I have are doing great.
Do you have a tank thread? Would like to see a full tank shot

h2joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you also have a gig nem on the right? Looks awesome and thats some serious flow!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I took this video two days ago, before the anemone divided, of this tank in my office. I have bigger tanks at home.
The fish are going crazy with food

I LOVE it!

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Vortech one on each side on reef crest mode with night mode on at night. It just happen to be at max flow when I took the video, it does not look like that all the time and it quite down a lot at night. I really like the Vortech because, IMO, it really simulate natural water movement.

Thanks

Last edited:

jon evans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hey I've been following your posts for years on the mags clearly you know what you're doing... i just removed all my corals out of my tank and put in a purple mag that looks just like yours... wondering if i could steal the schedule you have for the rations i have a gen 4 xr15 over him right now

jon evans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in case you're wondering its just a 20gallon tall with a 20gallon sump..its my grow out tank for just this anemone and my 2 clowns.

Photo on 2017-07-21 at 5.15 PM.jpg

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep Magnifica in small tank like that if you don't feed and keep him small. Many years ago, I keep a Magnifica in a 20X20X18 cube for years. Just the Mag 2 clowns and a clam.
You should have enough current with the Vortec. Hopefully your light is bright enough. If I am taken care of this anemone in this tank, I would have a more vertical drop column and flatter top. They like smooth flat top site of attachment. This would also show off their color column more. The vertical drop would really discourage them from walking down the rock. Make sure their tentacles do not touch the side of the tank.
Regardless what I wrote, if you are happy with the tank and your anemone is doing great, don't worry about it. There are many different ways to skin a cat.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a 65 gal tank, with a lot of flow provided by 2 Voretec MP10. I use crest mode at 100% one on each side, independent from each other. I think this provide more random flow. Lagoon mode provide more flow but I like the peak and through of reef crest. Night mode is on on the two Vortech
This tank is lid by 2 Radion G3 Pro 12 hrs cycle, natural setting at 100%. Moon light mode is on on the Radion, but I am never in the office at night. The cleaning crew have strict instruction to leave everything a lone. I got two dedicated circuits for this tank. About 10 years ago, my tank crashed because the cleaning crew tripped the single circuit for this tank on Friday night and did not turn it back on. The heater was on and they plug in their power equipment to the circuit. When it tripped, they just plug their equipment to another circuit. That crash kill my blue Gigantea at a time when it was rare to have Gigantea in captivity. Now this cannot happen.

jon evans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is a 65 gal tank, with a lot of flow provided by 2 Voretec MP10. I use crest mode at 100% one on each side, independent from each other. I think this provide more random flow. Lagoon mode provide more flow but I like the peak and through of reef crest. Night mode is on on the two Vortech
This tank is lid by 2 Radion G3 Pro 12 hrs cycle, natural setting at 100%. Moon light mode is on on the Radion, but I am never in the office at night. The cleaning crew have strict instruction to leave everything a lone. I got two dedicated circuits for this tank. About 10 years ago, my tank crashed because the cleaning crew tripped the single circuit for this tank on Friday night and did not turn it back on. The heater was on and they plug in their power equipment to the circuit. When it tripped, they just plug their equipment to another circuit. That crash kill my blue Gigantea at a time when it was rare to have Gigantea in captivity. Now this cannot happen.
that sucks. well so far so good the mag is super sticky and a little pig for scallops. clowns are hosting right away.. mag has opened up nicely and become a good show piece.. hoping to feed once or twice a week a half scallop to promote growth i want majority of tank to be the mag perhaps adding a 3rd clown once it is big enough

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night one of my Magnifica anemone split. He is a beautiful anemone with purple column and yellow tipped tentacles. He was a little too big for where I want him so I have not feed him directly for years. He is under a lot of light, right under a Radion G3 Pro, Max light for 11 hrs a day.
Magnifica2017072101.jpg

Do they ball up at night? I would be interested in buying the split one if you wan to departure with one. I have 4 red bubble tips if you want to trade.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back