Another One Spot Foxface Issue

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i seem to read a lot of these lately but i got a one spot Foxface on Sunday he does pick at the algae on the rocks and overflow box but he wont eat any mysis or marine flake or nori on a clip i tried putting the nori on a rock with a rubber band today but he doesn't seem to be interested.

he swims around the tank for a bit but always seems to find his way back to that corner in the video or he hides in Camo in another spot i think he may be looking at his reflection should i cover that side of the tank with something? i know its been only 3 days but all my other fish ate within the first 2-3 days and the tomato clown ate immediately also no fish are harassing him and all my perimeters are within range

ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 5.0
ph 8.2

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well They are timid fish and 3 days is not allot of time..

Also in the video he put up his spines as a defensive move when what looks like a angel comes close in the beginning of the video. It looks like the Angel might be giving him a little bit of a hard time at about the 20 seconds mark in the video..
It did not seem to be major and looks like it may settle down.. Other algae grazers sometimes do not like competition. I had a tang that was constantly trying to spear mine..

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i noticed that when you mentioned it they do swim together in the tank so it doesn't seem to be a major issue at the moment i guess i should give him some more time to get adjusted

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Seems very intimidated as they are already a shy fish. Not abnormal especially for newly introduced.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see he does this a lot in that corner too like hes looking at his shadow right now the other two fish are all the way on the other side of the tank and hes lookin at his reflection in the glass with his spines out

20190917_130357.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very shy fish give it a week for it to settle in. Once it acclimates to you tank they will be out and about. Any sudden movement sends the foxface diving for cover.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i seem to read a lot of these lately but i got a one spot Foxface on Sunday he does pick at the algae on the rocks and overflow box but he wont eat any mysis or marine flake or nori on a clip i tried putting the nori on a rock with a rubber band today but he doesn't seem to be interested.

he swims around the tank for a bit but always seems to find his way back to that corner in the video or he hides in Camo in another spot i think he may be looking at his reflection should i cover that side of the tank with something? i know its been only 3 days but all my other fish ate within the first 2-3 days and the tomato clown ate immediately also no fish are harassing him and all my perimeters are within range

ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 5.0
ph 8.2

3 days is nothing. Keep in mind that they are technically herbivores and so meaty diets are not likely to appeal a lot to them. Right now it's focused on doing what it does in it's natural environment (algae grazing) which is perfectly normal for a new addition. You could try LRS Reef Frenzy and see if that won't help it adapt to a more mixed diet. Goodness knows my One Spot goes nuts for it and it also adapted to seaweed from a clip within a few days.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, he seems fine to me, more than fine for a new fox addition, As he is a natural grazer it will take him a while to recognize what else you are feeding is food. With the other fish is the tank he should be taking most of what you are feeding in no time. I don't feed nori and rely on grazing and hikari mega algae for my fox and others, he eats most everything I feed my tank.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably nothing to worry about. I had mine in quarantine (medicated for about a week) and it refused to eat. Even after introduction to the DT it refused to eat for several days. It's fine now and eating. Just keep it fed to avoid it eating some of your corals.

Robb1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had this problem...mine is the most aggressive eater and swimmer in my tank - lol! But he's still a gentle guy :) Hope it gets better for you!

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell what size yours is, but the Magnificent I have in quarantine couldn't eat mysis...they were too large. I tried brine and it ate them up. Nori took a bit but it eats it aggressively now. Do you have access to live brine? You might want to try some to get it eating. I was also surprised that mine eats the smallest NLS pellets. Like others have said, 3 days is not too long.

Terry Brown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My One spot took a couple months to really get over his shyness. Once he got used to me and his surroundings, he is no longer timid. Now if I put my hand in the tank he comes over to my hand looking for food.

One issue I did have, that Dana mentioned, keep him feed! I missed giving mine his nori for a couple of days and he started picking at the soft corals in my tank. Now I make sure he has plenty of greens and have not had an issue since.

Also, my One Spot loves Cheato. I pull clean Cheato from my sump every couple of days and put it in the display. He loves picking at it through-out the day.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well he seems to have fully settled in eating like a hog like the rest of my fish and isnt hiding anymore only thing now is he doesnt seem to want to touch the seaweed i put on a clip so it ends up breaking up and flying all over the tank where he eats the pieces that land on the rocks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back