Another reef-pi build.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holidays have been crazy but I got a chance today to get back on this project. I made a float switch bracket from a $4 sheet of lexan and some nylon bolts from Home Depot. I just cut a couple 1” strips and used a heat gun to make the bends. It’s not pretty but it’s going to work just fine.
7fc16043071560e4a9d5fade4d7259bc.jpg
do you fabricate that contraption? or its readymade available?

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you fabricate that contraption? or its readymade available?

@Ranjib I made it. Home Depot has inexpensive 12x12 sheets of acrylic. I think it was $4 and change. I cut two 1” strips. I pinched it between two boards and used a heat gun to get the acrylic soft enough to bend and made the shapes. The holes are just a regular drill and the adjustment slot was made with a dremel.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s modeled after the one I already have in my sump. Except I think I paid over $40 for it from BRS. It was an official RKL bracket and float switch kit for the controller. I ordered 6 float switches on amazon for $7 and the acrylic for $4. If only I knew then lol

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, another if I could do it over again. For the 8 pins to the lights I think I would use CAT6 cable and connectors instead. I just spent the better part of 4 hours soldering CAT 6 cable to the 8 pin aviation connectors. The connectors are extremely robust and I see no chance of them failing but man where they a bear to solder. I dont know if its because I have been putting it off and didnt want to do it or because my 12 watt soldering iron would not get hot enough. I would get the connector hot enough to melt solder and by the time it was hot enough the wire casing on the CAT 6 would melt. It was so delicate that even my finger nail holding the hot wire down would put a hole in the wire casing. Once I got the technique down I was on my last one lol but its done and they seem pretty solid.

But... I went to run and get my phone to take some pictures of my work and took a tumble on the stairs lol. Now I am waiting to see if I can get some x-rays done on my foot. ;Rage On the bright side If I am end up in a cast I will have more time to sit down and finish this project lol.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man that sucks about the fall. I hope you heal up soon with no broken bones. Not exactly a high note to end the year on.

I know how you feel about the AV connectors it was harder to solder those than anything I soldered on the boards. My first attempt was done with a soldering iron like yours and it turned into a mess of melted insulation and bad connections. I started from the inside pin and worked my way around the connectors and by the time I got to the last 2 it was really hard to get them right without melting the one next to it.
Luckily I bought 10 pairs of them and was able to do them with my new adjustable solder station. I found 750 degrees worked nicely to get the solder to flow and it was quick enough not to melt the insulation to badly.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, another if I could do it over again. For the 8 pins to the lights I think I would use CAT6 cable and connectors instead. I just spent the better part of 4 hours soldering CAT 6 cable to the 8 pin aviation connectors. The connectors are extremely robust and I see no chance of them failing but man where they a bear to solder. I dont know if its because I have been putting it off and didnt want to do it or because my 12 watt soldering iron would not get hot enough. I would get the connector hot enough to melt solder and by the time it was hot enough the wire casing on the CAT 6 would melt. It was so delicate that even my finger nail holding the hot wire down would put a hole in the wire casing. Once I got the technique down I was on my last one lol but its done and they seem pretty solid.

But... I went to run and get my phone to take some pictures of my work and took a tumble on the stairs lol. Now I am waiting to see if I can get some x-rays done on my foot. ;Rage On the bright side If I am end up in a cast I will have more time to sit down and finish this project lol.

Holy what the heck! Hoping nothing too serious happened and you're back home in a hurry!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ****** right now lol it’s the outside bone on my right foot.

29f792b1b350eb46792a4cc4ad6e5b96.jpg
Duuuuude! That's a pretty nasty break! A broken metatarsal SUCKS! I'm an ultra runner and stress fractured a couple of mine a few years ago and it was no fun. Sending good vibes your way and try to enjoy your New Year nonetheless. A BIG bottle of your favorite adult beverage will definitely help!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey - maybe you can lay claim to the first seriously injured person while working on reef pi!

@Ranjib - what say you?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as originally intended. Here are the aviation connectors soldered up and ready to go. The float switch is also soldered but I still need to shrink wrap it.
4453ded97a78872bc87cea208b597689.jpg
These aviation connectors look chunky.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back