Another reef-pi build.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah :) , happened to me twice . Now as part of field testing I use a ir thermometer . Turned out it’s a common practice to hover around all the mosfets , darlingtons (uln2803, l293d) for over hearing due to number of different things. But before things blow , they heat up.
Now that ir thermometer has become a contested thing between me and my son. We are equally amused by it , the laser light and the ability to take temperature of arbitrary things remotely :)

Pretty cool that you have to compete with your son for the IR therm! I use one to read heat values inside/ouside/around windows of homes to detect poor insulation. And then there's the fun of pointing it at my wife's backside and telling her she's got a hot butt!

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah :) , happened to me twice . Now as part of field testing I use a ir thermometer . Turned out it’s a common practice to hover around all the mosfets , darlingtons (uln2803, l293d) for over hearing due to number of different things. But before things blow , they heat up.
Now that ir thermometer has become a contested thing between me and my son. We are equally amused by it , the laser light and the ability to take temperature of arbitrary things remotely :)

The IR thermometer is one of my favorite tools. So much so that it lives in the basket with our remotes. I use it so often! I have to watch out though. My dog is obsessed with it lol. He literally hears the click of the trigger and goes into hunt and pounce mode. He will sneak up and pounce on what ever that red dot happens to be on.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The IR thermometer is one of my favorite tools. So much so that it lives in the basket with our remotes. I use it so often! I have to watch out though. My dog is obsessed with it lol. He literally hears the click of the trigger and goes into hunt and pounce mode. He will sneak up and pounce on what ever that red dot happens to be on.

Ok... gotta ask for a dog picture now!

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL which one. We have 3 but the culprits that loves the red dot is our Cairn puppy.
29d9b694c06a3181c7869b66eaa0bda1.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

We have 4. Chihuahua, Maltese Mix, American Eskimo and Pitbull. We also have 2 cats. And a mouse that lives in our garage. And fish. I'm a believer in what Andy Rooney said, "The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be careful using mine too, the big dog goes ballistic while the other two look at him like he's an idiot!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be careful using mine too, the big dog goes ballistic while the other two look at him like he's an idiot!

Heyyyy... Happy New Year...haven't seen you in a while.
How goes it with the 3D printer? Last I remember you were waiting on a replacement part.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyyyy... Happy New Year...haven't seen you in a while.
How goes it with the 3D printer? Last I remember you were waiting on a replacement part.
Happy New Year! It's going fine, spent quite a bit of time with alignment and calibration and it prints very well now. Been learning CAD, half exciting and half frustrating. Finally getting the hang of it though.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year! It's going fine, spent quite a bit of time with alignment and calibration and it prints very well now. Been learning CAD, half exciting and half frustrating. Finally getting the hang of it though.
I have a bunch of sketchup files for reef-related items you can make. i.e - Kalk stirrer, protein skimmer, brine feeder, reactors, bulkhead wrench, and a few more. If you'd like, I can send them to you. Only thing is you'll have to give me your email. R2R does not allow these type of files to be uploaded.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very simple :/). Google for how to use systems to set default target as non GUI in raspberry pi. Something along the line of systemctl set-default multi-user.target ..,

Tuned out to be supper easy. I just ran

Code:
sudo raspi-config

Scrolled to boot options and turned on boot to consol instead of GUI. Reboot time is ridiculous fast when there is no GUI to load and looks like it freed up 2/3 of the system resources being used.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuned out to be supper easy. I just ran

Code:
sudo raspi-config

Scrolled to boot options and turned on boot to consol instead of GUI. Reboot time is ridiculous fast when there is no GUI to load and looks like it freed up 2/3 of the system resources being used.

Very cool. thanks for sharing that. I'm not ready to give up my GUI till I feel more comfortable with Linux but I may be doing the same thing soon.

@ScottBrew Happy new Year! That's cool you got you're 3d printer going, that will open up a whole bunch of DIY stuff.

Pretty cool that you have to compete with your son for the IR therm! I use one to read heat values inside/ouside/around windows of homes to detect poor insulation. And then there's the fun of pointing it at my wife's backside and telling her she's got a hot ***!

@crusso1993 LOL That's too funny.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a reef keeper lite on the floor.

Throw that pile of mess away!
(Although I know you won't because of the "skeletonizing" factor!)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back