Another Rescue: Picasso Trigger

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Todd, a Juvie PT at just under an inch.

Am I equipped to deal with a trigger? No. Do I even have the accommodations for a trigger? No. So why did I get him? Let me explain

So today, I’m wandering through another fish store and there’s a guy working there, he comes over and starts talking to me. He tells me that they have a Picasso trigger in the back room , it’s apparently killed everything they put it with and since a new shipment comes tomorrow unless someone takes him today.... he’s kinda destined for the toilet. So he told me if I took him I could have him for free.

Such a beautiful fish doesn’t deserve that... he’s wild caught. If you pulled me from my home and put me in a glass box I’d be angry too ... he doesn’t deserve to die, the least I can do is try to give him a home.

All this aside, please bare with me... I wasn’t exactly expecting a trigger today :(. Currently he’s in a 15g long I had already set up. He’s happy and eating. I do have a 90 in the basement I can move him into after Christmas. Hopefully he doesn’t mind the squeeze until then, but it’s better than the other outcome......

Here’s some pictures of my new friend

f6a9c2cf12305dc6d972caa081c7bf33.jpg
7ecb9d4bfb3eea96372251c8bd7ddba9.jpg
80857f0901035db612e6610875faee0e.jpg
ac24e337a3d29f9ca46a0521087a09c4.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grow really slow, my 1st tank way back when, way before the internet; a picasso, niger, and an undulated in a 40 breeder. Since then I've raised nearly 20 itty bitty triggers. My lastest babies are now about 3", a blueline, clown, and niger. The 15 is small but like you said it's better than the toilet. He'll be able to live in that 90 well over 5 years. Just choose his roommates carefully, they have to hold their own; make sure you have a few very distinct rock areas to break up the tank. Don't over crowd him and he'll be fine. Itty bitty clown triggers grow pretty slow also, nigers a bit faster but pretty mellow. If you plan to upgrade or have rehoming options, having a few baby triggers is so much fun. They are like little puppy dogs and will eat out of you hand.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish store employee is ridiculous and this shows how bad practices can ruin reputations. They ordered the fish and couldn't accommodate it so the only option is to kill it, man that erks me to no end. I'd have a hard time not blasting that store. Anyway, keep him alone in the tank, watch the parameters and regular water changes to control nutrient export. If you can, try to find a good home for the little guy. The 90 will keep him for a bit too. He's a cool little guy, love triggers.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is less than 1 inch? I love humus. Is your 90g a reef tank or a fowlr? If they were reef safe I would have one by now. Diving and snorkeling in Hawaii you see them all the time. Amazingly strong jaws, will take a bite out of anything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guy is less than 1 inch? I love humus. Is your 90g a reef tank or a fowlr? If they were reef safe I would have one by now. Diving and snorkeling in Hawaii you see them all the time. Amazingly strong jaws, will take a bite out of anything.

The 90 is currently empty. It will probably be a fowlr just for him

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it will try to kill anything that they try to keep with him, they were underfed him, It's skinny and hungry! Picasso nowhere near the aggression of clown trigger, undulated or blueline, the excuse from that fish store is freaking dumb and they should not have a right to open a fish store!

OP
OP
lucyretz

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it will try to kill anything that they try to keep with him, they were underfed him, It's skinny and hungry! Picasso nowhere near the aggression of clown trigger, undulated or blueline, the excuse from that fish store is freaking dumb and they should not have a right to open a fish store!

Well he had some live feeder shrimp and some frozen mysis tonight, he’s loved here :)

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that wasn't a store on the CDN West coast, I've seen some locally that ehh.. feels like visiting the emaciated fish pound.

aquaman67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great story. Good on you.

I rescued a Pygmy Angel. The store had accidentally left the fresh water top off on and turned all their water basically to fresh. The only thing that survived was a small Pygmy Angel. I had him for over 10 years, and he’s recently gone missing, presumed dead.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great story. Good on you.

I rescued a Pygmy Angel. The store had accidentally left the fresh water top off on and turned all their water basically to fresh. The only thing that survived was a small Pygmy Angel. I had him for over 10 years, and he’s recently gone missing, presumed dead.
I hope he turns up

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store's up here really do seem to be hit and miss unfortunately. Still appalling a store would treat a wild caught fish like that. Obviously it's going to be aggressive starving and tossed in a tiny box with a bunch of other fish. Good for you saving the little guy!

SPS Junky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your good deed in taking this poor little guy out of the hands of a store that clearly has no business being in this business at all! It’s a shame this store hasn’t been shut down. You are a good soul.. My last rescue was a Sailfin Tang. He’s now in a friend’s 180 reef awaiting his move to his 500G reef upon completion of the build. Thanks again. God bless you!

Back