Another RSR XL 425 build

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have been utilizing the forums pretty heavily for research purposes. I have been incredibly impressed with the volume of detailed information available and the willingness of the community to share. With that, I decided that I would create an account and document my experience on the off chance that I might be able to share information, plans, reviews, or something potentially helpful to future users.

Around 15 years ago I picked up a 29-gallon eclipse saltwater, all-in-one, set up at a big box store, really, as almost an impulse buy. That began as a FOWLR and it was all downhill from there. A few years later I updated lighting to a Tek 4 bulb T5 fixture, added a Remora HOB skimmer, and transitioned to a soft coral/LPS tank. That ultimately crashed in an aiptaisia/algae bomb, so I broke it down and packed everything away maybe 3 years ago.

Back in April I came to the realization that I needed to quit drinking. So. I found myself with some free time and a lot of nervous energy.

One of the projects that I took on was a basement/mancave remodel with my son. Previously, my wife and I had budgeted to have that done professionally, so when we took over the work, there were some sizeable savings. I convinced my wife that I could take advantage of that and reinvest into a new tank. Down low forum translation: Any savings realized will be spent. Then we will likely spend more. She knows better but she played along. I think she prefers keeping me busy.

Anyway, I started by roughing in some guidelines:

I will research procedures and QT everything. My previous experience had just the display tank in our living room and I did not quarantine. So, we ended up with a limited number of hardy species that did well and a fair number of losses over the years as we would periodically try to add new fish to the tank. Another rookie mistake was adding a few live rocks that were purchased from a display tank at an unknown local LFS. I suspect that they had some copper since inverts were a challenge to maintain. In the end, a zoa addition from another LFS brought in pests and blew the tank up. Anyway, this time, nothing will go in the display unless it is new out of the box, had dips, treatment, and/or a lengthy QT.

I will set up a mixing station. Last time around it was all 5-gallon buckets and manual top offs. That led to a lax water change schedule, an occasional mess, and a challenge to maintain parameters and stability.

I will bite the bullet and allocate some of the budget on automation and monitoring. In researching recent build threads, perhaps the biggest difference I am noticing from “back in the day”, is the use of controllers. My expectation was that the big-ticket items would still be skimmers and lighting. Instead, perhaps the largest build expense that I am seeing is an entirely new system. Allocating those kind of dollars, so I can monitor and control systems remotely, at first seemed incredibly unnecessary. Marketing bells and whistles, adding complexity, and selling consumers on the cutting edge. Depending on a 24/7 WiFi connection seems like a recipe for frustration. But I will buy into this advance. I will seek to automate, add redundancy, and enhance monitoring. Who doesn’t like to scroll through their phone.

I will go a little larger. The layout of the mancave and budget permit it. The tank is planned for a wall adjacent to a work room. That will house the mixing station, QT, and maybe the sump, or just the manifold.

I will go slow and be patient.
Pretty sure that is worth a smile. Seriously though. My desire to progress has led to problems in the past. So I will make an effort to take my time.

Still in the prep stages, working on layout, electric, and plumbing. I will follow up with some remodel pics, tentative equipment decisions, my build phases/timeline, and some rough schematics.

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both.

Our initial plan of attack has been roughed in. The first modification was a decision against reusing existing live rock. I suspect copper may have been present in our old system. I initially planned to bleach and then test for copper. Then acid soak if necessary. But after sleeping on it I decided why go through all that? Even if tests did not show copper, I would always wonder. So, we decided to return the old rock to the shed for now and replace it with another 50lbs of new base rock.

• Phase I Prep
    • Electric -
      • Run 20 AMP dedicated circuit
        • 25 ft of Southwire Romex 12/2 - yellow
        • 2 20 AMP GFCI
    • Mixing Station
      • Shelving
        • Husky 65 in. W x 54 in. H x 24 in. D 3-Shelf Welded Steel Garage Storage Shelving Unit
        • Additional Support 3/4 inch plywood
      • RO/DI Filters
        • Replace old filters and resin
      • Tanks
        • Norwesco 35 gallon storage tanks with 0.75" threaded bulkheads
      • Pump
        • Pan World 50PX Magnetic Water Pump
      • PVC Plumbing
        • List to follow
      • Salt Red Sea
    • Rockwork
      • MarcoRocks Reef Saver Premium 80lbs
      • Aquascape
        • SuperGlue Gel
        • e Marco 400 cement
    • Set up QT
      • 29g
        • Paint tank
        • hang on back filter – existing
        • heater – existing
        • Testing kits
        • Dr.Tim's Ammonium Chloride
        • Dr.Tim's One & Only
        • Seachem Laboratories Ammonia Alert
        • Heavy Duty Specimen Container - Large
        • Prazipro Treat All Worms/flukes
        • Copper Power Treat if Ick
        • Hanna High Range Copper Colorimeter
        • Cycle QT Tank ~45 days
  • Phase II Tank Set Up
    • Display & Sump
      • Tank/sump/stand Red Sea 425 XL
      • Skimmer Red Sea 600
      • Pump COR-20
      • Heaters x2 Finnex TH 300 W
        • 1 with a Finnex deluxe controller and 1 with their digital controller.
    • Controller Neptune Apex
      • Modules:
        • ATK
        • WAV 1Link
        • FMM
    • Lights
      • Tunze Eco Chick 8831 refugium light
      • Radion XR15 G5 PRO x2? ReeFi LED Duo Extremes x2
      • Mounts
    • Sand Fiji Pink Arag-Alive 80lbs **Tropic Thunder Reef Mesoflakes 60lbs

• Plumb Sump/Manifold

• Cycle Display Tank ~45 days

• QT some fish? ~45 days

• Set up Coral QT 10 gallon
      • Lights – existing Tek 4 T5s?
      • Skimmer – existing Remora HOB?
      • Dip
      • Treatments
      • Methylene Blue
      • Ruby Reef Rally
Phase III Livestock

Last edited:
OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added 2 GFCI and waiting for a pro to connect the new circuit to the box. Prep supplies have been arriving and I am hoping to get workIng on the mixing station this weekend. A few pics of the remodel.

Ripped out a moldy parquet floor and sagging drop ceiling.
652A5D0F-D64C-4B46-BA9F-DA2C15B3506C.jpeg
5BE9576E-9BC3-4C4B-BB8E-E02E1591A128.jpeg
02CE20CC-12B9-4E21-9933-F7A399B1FA11.jpeg
73CE022A-29E4-4BF1-BBE9-9C7FDDA7A3BB.jpeg
9B43C766-1EE4-45CE-AA5A-7B11ECDC9953.jpeg

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck Friend! I am an automation engineer and even at the high tag price of the Neptune systems they are worth every penny, before my RSR250 I tried to use DIY automation and spent more than a complete Neptune with not even half the functionality

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck Friend! I am an automation engineer and even at the high tag price of the Neptune systems they are worth every penny, before my RSR250 I tried to use DIY automation and spent more than a complete Neptune with not even half the functionality

Thank you. I appreciate your advice. After researching further and learning more about these systems I am starting to understand that they add significant value.

I picked up tanks curbside and the pvc plumbing and pump ordered online have arrived. I am roughing in the shelve layout and I plan to start plumbing this weekend.

First, before I do anything further I have to credit suncrestreefs. If you are planning a build you owe it to yourself to study his build thread and benefit from his extensive work, experience and valuable advice.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/

I decided to steal his mixing station plans and I suspect I will be "borrowing" a number of other ideas along the way. I may have to send him a gift with a thank you this December if everything works out.

I modified and downsized the tanks a bit. First, 150 gallons or ~1,200 pounds of water wasn't desirable in this location. Second, I figured with 35 gallons of RO/DI and 35 gallons of saltwater on hand, I could realistically do a 70% water change over the course of a couple days if needed. For normal operation I am hoping that the pair of 35g tanks can manage a biweekly 10g water change and the ongoing top off.

mix.png

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts list: The quantities below include a few extras. I figured I would add them in to give me some flexibility with the plans, or if I screw up a cut. Which is pretty likely. If not, I expect to need them for the sump.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/

3/4" Orange Sch 40 Furniture Grade Pipe - 5ft FF-5FT-007-ORANGE -- 3
3/4" Blue Sch 40 Furniture Grade Pipe - 5ft FF-5FT-007-BLUE -- 1
Orange 3/4" Furniture Fitting 3-way FF-3W-007-ORANGE -- 4
Blue 3/4" Furniture Fitting 3-way FF-3W-007-BLUE -- 2
Orange 3/4" Furniture Fitting Tee FF-T-007-ORANGE -- 4
Orange 3/4" Furniture Fitting 90 Elbow FF-90-007-ORANGE -- 6
3/4" Schedule 80 PVC (S x S) Union 897-007 897-007 -- 7
3/4" Flui-PRO PVC Compact Ball Valve - Gray / Socket FP-GS-007 -- 8
3/4" Sch 80 PVC Male Adapter SPG x MPT 861-007 -- 4
3/4" Sch 80 PVC Female Adapter SPG x SR FPT 878-007SR -- 4
3/4" Schedule 80 CPVC Male Adapter 9836-007 -- 4
3/4" PVC Female Adapter Insert x FIPT 1435-007 -- 2
3/4" Flui-PRO PP Camlock Fitting - Female Camlock FP-PP-B-75 -- 1
3/4" Flui-PRO PP Camlock Fitting - Male Camlock FP-PP-E-75 -- 1

AMZN

Lifegard Aquatics 3/4-Inch Slip Bulkhead Fitting -- 3
1-1/2" Short Bulkhead Fitting, Slip x Slip -- 1
Koehler Enterprises KE10BX 10 Piece Hose Clamp Box (Size SAE 10),stainless steel -- 1
Duda Energy 25' x 3/4" ID High Pressure Braided Clear Flexible PVC Tubing -- 1

7A211DCC-434A-49DC-917C-C7FDB324E863.jpeg

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have begun setting up the mixing station. My initial plan is to put the holding tanks up top, and the QT in the middle, for now. When I leak test, that might change. I will need to assess weight capacity. I am also on the fence on whether or not I want to house the sump here. I think I would prefer it here for the space and easy access. But, I think I would like to keep a fish QT up for a bit and then later swap it for a coral QT, and I am not sure I want either of those right next to the sump. I could move those, or build a partition, I suppose. I need to think some more on it. The other concern with this location is height and plumbing modification on the Reefer. Which, from what I have read, it sounds like plumbing modification for RS systems requires some art. Aside of the plumbing, I am not sure if, or how, the stand will need to be modified to accommodate this sump location. An easier alternative might be to leave the sump in the cabinet as designed, keep this QT location, and then put all electronics and a manifold here.

76C9D8AF-0D38-4DD5-8370-B04C92C2F0DC.jpeg

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got plumbed. I always forget about the stress related to permanently gluing pieces together. Definitely had to measure twice.

As my wife likes to remind me, I am a little type A. She is not wrong. Anyway, I may have uttered a couple of words at Tractor Supply Co that I will spare your young ears. They shipped two slightly different tanks. Well, the same tank with the same model # but slightly different. Maybe a different year/version? I had a hunch that they were a hair off out of the box, but then I noticed later that one was numbered on both the front and back and the other was just the front. It is not a big deal at all. I only mention it because the nozzle on one is maybe a quarter inch lower than the other. I am a jerk, so it will bother me a tiny bit.

Next a leak test. gulp.

7DA7BEA5-554F-44B0-B7E9-71D3774C310A.jpeg
77CFFD07-6291-4CF9-8A65-8EA06D0D6BA7.jpeg
C34E2CF3-65CE-4783-9B19-2A48A3C013A6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It holds water! Gonna give it a few days to stress test at half capacity, then fill up, mix up 35g of saltwater, and start cycling the QT.

85BC8A94-38EA-4263-8805-3BE954486465.jpeg

TexanReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parts list: The quantities below include a few extras. I figured I would add them in to give me some flexibility with the plans, or if I screw up a cut. Which is pretty likely. If not, I expect to need them for the sump.

https://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/

3/4" Orange Sch 40 Furniture Grade Pipe - 5ft FF-5FT-007-ORANGE -- 3
3/4" Blue Sch 40 Furniture Grade Pipe - 5ft FF-5FT-007-BLUE -- 1
Orange 3/4" Furniture Fitting 3-way FF-3W-007-ORANGE -- 4
Blue 3/4" Furniture Fitting 3-way FF-3W-007-BLUE -- 2
Orange 3/4" Furniture Fitting Tee FF-T-007-ORANGE -- 4
Orange 3/4" Furniture Fitting 90 Elbow FF-90-007-ORANGE -- 6
3/4" Schedule 80 PVC (S x S) Union 897-007 897-007 -- 7
3/4" Flui-PRO PVC Compact Ball Valve - Gray / Socket FP-GS-007 -- 8
3/4" Sch 80 PVC Male Adapter SPG x MPT 861-007 -- 4
3/4" Sch 80 PVC Female Adapter SPG x SR FPT 878-007SR -- 4
3/4" Schedule 80 CPVC Male Adapter 9836-007 -- 4
3/4" PVC Female Adapter Insert x FIPT 1435-007 -- 2
3/4" Flui-PRO PP Camlock Fitting - Female Camlock FP-PP-B-75 -- 1
3/4" Flui-PRO PP Camlock Fitting - Male Camlock FP-PP-E-75 -- 1

AMZN

Lifegard Aquatics 3/4-Inch Slip Bulkhead Fitting -- 3
1-1/2" Short Bulkhead Fitting, Slip x Slip -- 1
Koehler Enterprises KE10BX 10 Piece Hose Clamp Box (Size SAE 10),stainless steel -- 1
Duda Energy 25' x 3/4" ID High Pressure Braided Clear Flexible PVC Tubing -- 1

7A211DCC-434A-49DC-917C-C7FDB324E863.jpeg

I would be wary of buying anything off of amazon. There are a lot of counterfeit products and they have no quality control over toxic materials.

remember the rule: assume it’s a Chinese knock-off for ANYTHING you buy off of Amazon.

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of quick updates.

Despite Husky advertising that each shelf can hold up to 1500lbs, I have been concerned with the weight of the holding tanks up on the top shelf. I estimated that when full they would combine to weigh almost 600 pounds. I filled the SW tank up to 30 gallons to monitor for a few days and using a level and tape measure I am finding zero sag in the cross beams. So I am feeling better about it. Putting the tanks at floor level would force me to have the QT, etc. up top and that would make working in the tank and observation a little harder. On the downside, I have already hit my head on a nozzle twice while standing up. So, that is gonna need adjusting.

Next, I ordered a 120cm Orphek bar. After setting up my old Tek fixture on the QT, I remembered just how much I liked that old T5 light. So, I am now leaning towards a hybrid lighting approach. I may go with a 48", 6 bulb, non-dimmable, Sunpower and the Orphek bar. I decided to test out the Orphek with the existing T5s and then make a decision.

Finally, I ordered the display tank kit. I have some more prep work to do, so I am not really ready for it yet. But I figured the kit might not be stocked, or it might take a while to ship. To my surprise, two days after ordering I received the "your order has shipped" email with a freight tracking #. So, that's exciting.

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MikeYasin and @Bender. Thank you.

In wait mode. Fixed a drip in the mixing station at a fitting connection that was just tightly dry fitted. Double checked all that initially and remember saying "nah, it looks glued, its fine." It wasn't fine. Now I am starting to play around with aquascaping.

I returned the Orphek Bar. Looked really nice but I never plugged it in. The plug was frayed where it connected to the light. The way it was packaged the cord was bent right at the connection and that was resting right against the end of the box. I suspect rough shipping caused it to rub against the heat sink. No rush on a lighting decision I guess. Would like to get the tank set up, cycled, fish QT'd and then added to the display before adding lighting and then moving on to adding corals. Still favoring a T5/LED combo but undecided on details.

The shipping co. called with a target on tank delivery so things are ahead of schedule.

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has landed.

Shipping a 400 lb box full of glass 2,500 miles from Phoenix AZ to central NY in five days made me pretty nervous. Did a speedy unwrapping while the 70 foot semi truck idled on the side of the road and everything appeared to be in good order.

I still have to patch a hole in a wall, and slap on a quick coat of paint, but I should be able to get to work on the stand Fri. Honestly, I did not expect it to arrive one week after clicking the order button. Maybe early next week I will lure 3-4 friends to help lug the display down the basement stairs and into the mancave. That should be fun. Leaning towards grabbing some suction cups. 175lbs doesn't sound too bad but I expect it to be a little stressful. Already nervous about it.

652EC4C0-0C75-402C-876A-05343160A86C.jpeg

OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made quick work of the stand. Pretty standard furniture build. Frankly, if someone asked me if they could build a stand to hold up 1,000 lbs of water and rock using a few dozen dowels and some furniture cam locks, I am not sure I would recommend that they try it. But given the number of these currently in use I am not going to second guess the design.

On to the pile of rocks sitting on my porch. First few attempts looked like two mounds that fell off a truck. I decided to go with an arch but not an arch? Gonna sleep on it, then mix up the emarco and fill in the cracks with rubble. Flying blind on this and I would really prefer not to rebuild it in the tank later on down the line. Any feedback and/or recommendations that anyone has are truly appreciated.

D27F2839-FCE0-4B6F-914E-C9CEDA2489DC.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
shakeandbake

shakeandbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran into a slight delay with the electrical as I needed to add a tandem breaker. Then we moved the tank. That was actually a piece of cake 5 minute job with 3 guys. So the sump lighting is done and the QT is all set up with Dr. Tims working on a fishless cycle. Now on to the fun part. Ordering equipment and getting started on plumbing the sump. First, the obligatory "pre-set-up" tank shot. Then a couple quick "first fish" pics from the holiday weekend.

39E62B74-F894-44A7-A1BC-8F7FC8A24B6B.jpeg

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back