Another struggling with acros post

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Random thought and I could be way off base, but I had a similar problem (I am hoping is resolved) and I discovered that even though I was testing po4 the same time each time and it was around 0.04 ppm, my tank had a demand/turnover of about 0.07 ppm of phos per day and this was stressing/starving my acros. ( I realized this by testing it multiple times throughout the day to see if it bottomed out and it was doing that during the brightest light period when they take up the most stuff)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have SPS anymore but has a mixed tank with 6 bulb ATI T5 over the exact tank as yours with the same height as par photo and the light was not an issue for any coral in the tank. These are T5, not led so the light should be pretty even.

I do have large tunzes and an oversized return which kick butt for flow though. And Tunze can be aimed so I legit pointed one right where I keep my SPS.

@Big E had one of the nicest SPS tanks around in a 80 shallow with T5. Maybe he can share throughs.

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random thought and I could be way off base, but I had a similar problem (I am hoping is resolved) and I discovered that even though I was testing po4 the same time each time and it was around 0.04 ppm, my tank had a demand/turnover of about 0.07 ppm of phos per day and this was stressing/starving my acros. ( I realized this by testing it multiple times throughout the day to see if it bottomed out and it was doing that during the brightest light period when they take up the most stuff)
This is pretty normal. I’ve found (after having read about it somewhere years ago) that the best time to test phosphate is the longest point after photosynthesis (which is before your lights turn on for the day). For most of us, this would mean sometime in the morning. That’s the number I trust most since any food we’ve introduced has been processed and filtered for many hours by then. That’s when I get my most trusted reading.

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know this was a thing. I will try testing it a few times tomorrow and see if it changes at all.
I don’t have SPS anymore but has a mixed tank with 6 bulb ATI T5 over the exact tank as yours with the same height as par photo and the light was not an issue for any coral in the tank. These are T5, not led so the light should be pretty even.

I do have large tunzes and an oversized return which kick butt for flow though. And Tunze can be aimed so I legit pointed one right where I keep my SPS.

@Big E had one of the nicest SPS tanks around in a 80 shallow with T5. Maybe he can share throughs.
I definitely felt my lighting if sufficient. You would think two mp40s running reef crest would be sufficient for a 16” deep tank but maybe I’m wrong. I’m hoping Big E chimes in because his 80g was amazing and so simple

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to report so far. The no name frag on my rack is doing well so far, JF Fox flame I mounted to the rock already has burned tips so I assume it will go down hill from here. Phosphate is sitting at 0.07 last I checked. I added some live sand/mud from IPSF yesterday to add some more bio-diversity but it's still to early to tell if it will do anything.

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the delivery from IPSF, I've also added two new fish (bangaii cardinals), and slightly opened the bypass adjustment for my filter roller so it's not catching quite as much. Coraline is growing like crazy on the back glass but haven't seen any improvement on SPS yet.

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some testing between my two systems I moved an acro frag to my smaller low flow softie tank, that I have two of in my larger tank and it seems like it’s doing well. The two in my larger tank have actually started looking worse. So it seems whatever the problem is, Is unique to my larger tank.

Jepprox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some testing between my two systems I moved an acro frag to my smaller low flow softie tank, that I have two of in my larger tank and it seems like it’s doing well. The two in my larger tank have actually started looking worse. So it seems whatever the problem is, Is unique to my larger tank.
I would be curious if stray voltage would be apparent since ICP showed nothing. Really odd SPS show stress right away when added to the large tank.

OP
OP
InvaderJim

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well every SPS I put in the tank continues to STN. Doesnt matter what it is or where it's from or even the location it is in the tank. Great PE, no PE, they all suffer the same fate. Some take days, some a few weeks. Parameters have been steady and nothing has changed. I'm out of ideas.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back