Another week, another problem, Tunze 9004 DC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet again, I am facing problems with this device. It seems I can't even clean it without new issues. Now the skimmer is not producing regular foam anymore, only bigger bubbles with less quantity. No foam is produced to the skimmer neck. The rotor is functioning, there are no blockades. I have taken it apart 8 times now and nothing. This skimmer is the most frustrating piece of aquarium equipment I own. Really makes me angry, that I have to deal with constant problems. This is not making reefing fun to me, only more stressful and the problems affect the water quality of my tank now. Is there solutions, that I have not tried?

mward

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you contacted "Roger at Tunze ? He's down in Texas and can probably help you. I had issues with a 9004 myself and he was helpful. He's probaly no there this long weekend but you can send a email.

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have this same skimmer. I have struggled with it over the years, but overall I still like it. It is difficult to take apart and put back together. I have done it wrong a few times. One time I thought it was broken , then bought another, just to find out that I had put the first one together wrong.

Big bubbles though, is a problem I have not had. It sounds like either the impeller isn't spinning and chopping the bubbles up, or the air is escaping from the inlet tube before it gets to the impeller. I would try taking it out, taking it apart partially, and turning it on and checking if the impeller is spinning.

OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I have this same skimmer. I have struggled with it over the years, but overall I still like it. It is difficult to take apart and put back together. I have done it wrong a few times. One time I thought it was broken , then bought another, just to find out that I had put the first one together wrong.

Big bubbles though, is a problem I have not had. It sounds like either the impeller isn't spinning and chopping the bubbles up, or the air is escaping from the inlet tube before it gets to the impeller. I would try taking it out, taking it apart partially, and turning it on and checking if the impeller is spinning.

When it is working, it is awesome little skimmer and pulling good amount of gunk out. But my problem is the reliability, finickiness and usability aspects, which are not where they should be. I have taken everything apart multiple times now and trying to figure out what's the problem now. The impeller is spinning and creating good flow, the tubes are firmly in place, no bends. The video shows, that the "foam", well big bubbles now, are not normal, it should be much more smaller and foamy like.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the impeller cover that the air hose attaches to on the pump is not clogged? This air line nipple tends to clog with salt. It must be cleaned and the cover must be attached to the pump to work properly.

serwobow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. I totally agree that the bubbles are not as foamy as they should be.

Somehow the air is getting through, so that means that there cannot be a complete clog in the line anywhere. And also, the air is getting sucked through the tube (and the impeller cover). This means that the tube is probably correctly attached to the impeller cover, and that the impeller itself must be spinning, because I'm pretty sure that the impeller spinning is what creates the suction of the air through the tubing.

The best guess I can make is that the tube is connected correctly to the impeller cover, but that the impeller cover is somehow only loosely attached to the impeller housing. Therefore there is some suction of air, but the air bubbles are not actually getting sucked all the way into the impeller blades so they are not chopped up.

The impeller cover actually clicks onto the impeller housing. It is pretty subtle, but it can only fit in one orientation. I am guessing that you set it on there, but that it is incompletely seated. I had to trim a little off of my tubing so that the tubing tension itself didnt actually pop out the impeller cover. Not sure, but your device might also benefit from this if the tubing seems too long.

OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure the impeller cover that the air hose attaches to on the pump is not clogged? This air line nipple tends to clog with salt. It must be cleaned and the cover must be attached to the pump to work properly.

Thanks for the reply. No clogs as I have cleaned now multiple times just to make sure.

OP
OP
Helfish

Helfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. I totally agree that the bubbles are not as foamy as they should be.

Somehow the air is getting through, so that means that there cannot be a complete clog in the line anywhere. And also, the air is getting sucked through the tube (and the impeller cover). This means that the tube is probably correctly attached to the impeller cover, and that the impeller itself must be spinning, because I'm pretty sure that the impeller spinning is what creates the suction of the air through the tubing.

The best guess I can make is that the tube is connected correctly to the impeller cover, but that the impeller cover is somehow only loosely attached to the impeller housing. Therefore there is some suction of air, but the air bubbles are not actually getting sucked all the way into the impeller blades so they are not chopped up.

The impeller cover actually clicks onto the impeller housing. It is pretty subtle, but it can only fit in one orientation. I am guessing that you set it on there, but that it is incompletely seated. I had to trim a little off of my tubing so that the tubing tension itself didnt actually pop out the impeller cover. Not sure, but your device might also benefit from this if the tubing seems too long.

The impeller cover has those tiny slots, where to attach it and I have made sure to snap it in place. The hose is a bit too long in my opinion and might cause some tension. Will check it out, thanks for the tip.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a comprehensive listing of everything it could be:

1) Air intake clogged or airline pinched, this could also include at the top plate where the silencer connects. I might see if blowing in the hose or running to water through the hose increases the performance.
2) Needlewheel is damaged or loose so the magnet turns without turning the needle wheel.
3) A water chemistry issue, low salinity or a surfactant substance.
4) Pump is assembled wrong, for example the bottom cover plate is missing or the pump is in upside down.

In general I don't advise cutting the tube, it is deliberately longer so the skimmer can be more easily assembled, it generally won't kink if you are careful to guide it into a wider loop when assembling. If you cut it too short it can be very frustrating to reassemble.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the pump out of the skimmer and run it (with the air tube) in a bucket of water. If its still making large bubbles then you have an impeller problem. If the pump puts out the proper tiny bubbles then you might have reassembled it incorrectly.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to say hot water, a shot glass of hot water will dissolve some salt in the airline.

WizzWolfe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When your skimmer is producing bubbles you need to change its position in the water. Lift it up a bit. That solves it. I was going nuts with mine foaming out the back.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned two of these skimmers, my favorite skimmer by far after trying many many brands. Consistent excellent performance in my experience.

The only problems I have ever had were cause by assembly issues and clogging. I once had a persistent issue and finally found salt creep clogging in the silencer on the air line. Hot water solved that, it just took me a long time to find the problem.

you’ll get it sorted out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back