Another "What's your favorite salt?" thread!

DrEggroll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Salinity TM. Never see it mentioned. My LFS recommended it and I thought they were my friend. I have since learned they will sell anything even if not in the best interest of your tank. I have been buying fish elsewhere since but my tank is doing well 4 months into my hobby. Just want to see one other person using this

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ask yourself what salt has stood the test of time.....

Plain and simple, IO.

If anyone thinks salt will somehow magically make their reef "pop", or magically fix all their issues, they are just kidding themselves.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Salinity TM. Never see it mentioned. My LFS recommended it and I thought they were my friend. I have since learned they will sell anything even if not in the best interest of your tank. I have been buying fish elsewhere since but my tank is doing well 4 months into my hobby. Just want to see one other person using this

I use salinity and am happy with it.

hubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea blue bucket here. It matches my parameters. I've tried several other brands but always come back to the blue bucket........

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
angry the office GIF

Marine Salt....you get what you pay for

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your calcium and alk at? Mine are lower than stated on the bucket. My alk around 7.7 and calcium 380

I don't have a coral heavy tank (only 3 pieces) so I don't keep track of those. I use the Neptune probes to monitor temp, salinity and pH and occasionally use test strips for nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia and thats about it.

fishboy1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only salt I use is coral pro salt. Never tried anything else as I have heard of bad experiences when people switch.

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro is my Fav, but during some of the Covid months a lot of places were out of stock and I switched back to Red Sea Pro Coral which I like but now as much as Tropic Marin brand

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am about to start my 15g build... i really want to go with tropic marin pro reef...does anyone know a site where it is usually readily available?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no salt that is better or worse than any other, thousands of reef tanks that use every salt known to man prove that, the only thing you should be looking at is what you run your tank at and matching a salt to it.
No point running a tank a 10 dkh and using a salt that mixes at 7-8 dkh even if that salt is supposed to be 'the best' unless you want to dose all the time
Salt is salt, just different concentrations of elements.
this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

I use and have always used IO. Mixes to what I want and is the cheapest. Win win. Just bought 6 - 200g boxes for $40/box. Most I've ever paid for salt.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used IO Reef Crystals, but hated the crud that would collect on everything in the mixing container. I tried the Red Sea Blue bucket for a while, but wasn't real impressed given the much higher cost. For my current build I decided to go with HW MarineMix Reefer and have been VERY happy so far. It mixes quick with consistent params, and leaves no residue regardless of how long It is stored in mixing container.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using IO for 3 years and just made the switch over Fritz blue box. Only reason for the switch was for the desired parameters. So far no regrets. :)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use any quality brand that is cheapest at the time that I need to buy it. I’ve learned to look around, I have found as much as $22 difference in the same brand same size bucket at 2 different stores.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you switch to a salt that maintains your current alkalinity level
I prefer to match Ca and Mg if not a little higher than what I run. Alk is easliy and cheaper to raise with Sodium Bicarbonate than Ca or Mg. You can dose it straight into the saltwater mix.

OzinOz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea leaves a residue in the mixing container too and I don’t like that. I want to switch to tropic Marin, but which tropic Marin one do you use?
Me too, with Red Sea Coral Pro I mix and add that day. It doesn't do well sitting for a week or more in mixing container for some reason. But my corals do love it so I mix and do the change 4-6 hours later.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back