Another "which return pump" thread

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t a “what’s best” argument thread. This was a thread where I asked people a specific question for my tank based on my preferences.
You clearly ignored all of that and have nothing helpful to add to the conversation so please just don’t reply next time when you’re going to just make fun of the OP and call them dumb because they chose things differently than you.
“if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
Being nice is free.
Nobody called anyone dumb. You are free to choose whatever you want. AC pumps will out perform and outlast any DC pump. Period. You may not like how I stated things, and maybe I was more snarky than I should have been, but I most certainly never called anyone dumb. It’s a common theme with DC pumps. Everyone buys 2 and thinks that’s normal. Which completely baffles me and is an utter waste of money. Why would you buy a pump that you expect to fail? How is that acceptable? That brand would never get another dollar from me again. I did that initially. They were called Little Giant, and they only lasted 2-3 years. I found that to be unacceptable so I moved to Iwaki. And have had it running almost 20 years non stop.

And you don’t need refer to yourself in the 3rd person….

So yeah, do what you want. Every DC pump suggested, bragged about a 5 year lifespan. If that is acceptable to you, go for it. To me, that is unacceptable. I like crusty 20 year old pumps that just don’t die and never need maintenance.

It’s called confirmation bias and it a common problem nowadays. People only want to hear views that agree with their own. Sorry my view doesn’t agree with yours.

And which part of your question did I ignore? Longest lasting? Won’t break the bank? The only part where AC might lose out is quiet. They are not always the quietest.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what breaking the bank might be but it's hard not to continue looking at jebaos with that statement.
Of the dc pumps I've used/still use(ignoring price)

Red dragon 3 > red dragon 5 > vectra >varios> sicce sdc> jebao >>> neptune cor in terms of quality+longevity/service(if needed)/ease of use

If factoring price
Red dragon 3 > red dragon 5 > jebao >>> Varios > vectra > sicce >>>>>> neptune cor (I dont think i've ever used a return pump ac or dc thats worse than this one)
It’s wild to me that you’d rate jebao higher than the others in terms of quality.
Every pump I had from them lasted less than 2 years before it broke and I’ve had like 4 of them.

The red dragons are WAYY out of the price range.
Nobody called anyone dumb. You are free to choose whatever you want. AC pumps will out perform and outlast any DC pump. Period. You may not like how I stated things, and maybe I was more snarky than I should have been, but I most certainly never called anyone dumb. It’s a common theme with DC pumps. Everyone buys 2 and thinks that’s normal. Which completely baffles me and is an utter waste of money. Why would you buy a pump that you expect to fail? How is that acceptable? That brand would never get another dollar from me again. I did that initially. They were called Little Giant, and they only lasted 2-3 years. I found that to be unacceptable so I moved to Iwaki. And have had it running almost 20 years non stop.

So yeah, do what you want. Every DC pump suggested, bragged about a 5 year lifespan. If that is acceptable to you, go for it. To me, that is unacceptable. I like crusty 20 year old pumps that just don’t die and never need maintenance.

It’s called confirmation bias and it a common problem nowadays. People only want to hear views that agree with their own. Sorry my view doesn’t agree with yours.

And which part of your question did I ignore? Longest lasting? Won’t break the bank? The only part where AC might lose out is quiet. They are not always the quietest.
you seem to just want to argue what you think is best and everyone should run it. You do the same with metal halide vs leds.

Just go away you’re not wanted in any of my threads. If you continue to come around I’ll just block you.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't actually know this as fact yet. Nobody does.
When the "first" AC pump hit the market do you think it lasted 20 years?
Most likely not. Most likely it lasted a few months and someone called it junk and went back to there hand pump. Let's get real.

DC pumps have not been out long enough to know what there potential is. They are getting better as time goes on and Manufacturing gets better.

As I said, mine is 6 years old and non-stop running. I don't know how long it will last but it is the same as it was new. I also don't have a spare impeller and I'm not really sure why you brought that fact up. LOL.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s wild to me that you’d rate jebao higher than the others in terms of quality.
Every pump I had from them lasted less than 2 years before it broke and I’ve had like 4 of them.

The red dragons are WAYY out of the price range.

you seem to just want to argue what you think is best and everyone should run it. You do the same with metal halide vs leds.

Just go away you’re not wanted in any of my threads. If you continue to come around I’ll just block you.
It's not that I would rate the jebaos higher in quality but the fact is that equipment of any quality can fail. Being able to have something on hand to replace it when that happens can change how successful someone can be in the hobby and being that affordable to do so (you can buy 2+ dcps for the price of most others on the market is a huge bonus imo)

To further clarify (which is why theres a pt 1 list and pt 2 list), it would be rated higher in a performance to cost ratio rather than just plain quality. Other pumps on that list don't really offer "that" much more for their price that would make it easy to justify over a jebao for a hobbyist on a budget unlike say a bubble magus vs reef octopus elite vs bubble king (non internal pump) skimmers where performance to price scales much more noticably (also from experience)

As far as pump experiences have gone in price to performance goes:
I had a dct that ran for 4 years which got replaced due to a failed powersupply by a dcp in 2018 which has been running since. Painless swap since it was inexpensive enough for me to just buy and have on hand (no expiring warranty from purchasing ahead)

In comparison to the 2 pumps I ranked below it:
(1)Varios had a controller failure in the first 2 years (replaced by warranty)
(4)Vectra L1 ran for 3 years until it got replaced by a L2 via warranty (melted motor block) has been running flawlessly since
-Vectra M2(1) - 0 issues since 2020
-(M2-2) powersupply failure after a year (replaced by warranty) mfg 2021
-Vectra L2 (2) failed power supply immediately after installation to replace failed M2 (replaced by warranty in good faith due to being past warranty date) mfg 2021

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similarly sized Reef Octopus and Sicce DC return pumps running side-by-side on my tank. The Reef Ocotopus is absolutely silent straight out of the box. The Sicce is only very quiet at lower speeds (ie, 65% or less but even then Reef Octopus is noticeably quieter).
When I powered mine up for the first time, I thought it was broken because I didn't hear anything, then water started blasting out the returns. And the cool thing is that it doesn't just kick on full snort, it has a soft start which brings it up slowly. This is a nice feature because it's easy on the coil windings of the pump. And even though they are not "pressure rated" per se, I have plenty of pressure with my varios 6. I'm only using the first speed setting until I get a silencer for my standpipe. I ordered the wrong one. LOL I'm sure the brand new varios 4 I have sitting here on standby is no different.

Right now my apex is telling me that my varios 6 is using 20 watts, and my varios 2 on my skimmer is using 12 watts.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I powered mine up for the first time, I thought it was broken because I didn't hear anything, then water started blasting out the returns. And the cool thing is that it doesn't just kick on full snort, it has a soft start which brings it up slowly. This is a nice feature because it's easy on the coil windings of the pump. And even though they are not "pressure rated" per se, I have plenty of pressure with my varios 6. I'm only using the first speed setting until I get a silencer for my standpipe. I ordered the wrong one. LOL I'm sure the brand new varios 4 I have sitting here on standby is no different.

Right now my apex is telling me that my varios 6 is using 20 watts, and my varios 2 on my skimmer is using 12 watts.
I sent a video of the louder Sicce return pump to RedSea (which markets that their pumps are built by Sicce) to customer service and they said the audible hum was expected under normal operating conditions. They said it would get better of time which it has due to build up of a slime coat on the pump. The Varios 6 I have does not have the slick app interface of RedSea (not an issue day-to-day if you run your pumps with a controller) and has a larger footprint but is a better buy if you prize ompletelg silent operation of tank equipment.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m super happy with my Simplicity Pumps. Have Three 1600, for Returns and the Two 1000, run my 24 LifeReef Skimmers. They are easy to take apart, clean and reassemble. I do wish there was Sponge Covers for the strainer, they only seem to be available in England and Europe.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t a “what’s best” argument thread. This was a thread where I asked people a specific question for my tank based on my preferences.
You clearly ignored all of that and have nothing helpful to add to the conversation so please just don’t reply next time when you’re going to just make fun of the OP and call them dumb because they chose things differently than you.
“if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
Being nice is free.
I always thought the saying went: "If you don't have anything nice to say, I want to hear it."

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back