(Another) Word of caution thread

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen many threads people posted about leaks/fires/catastrophes and their words of caution and I keep saying, "I should probably do those things so it doesn't happen to me". However, just like doing computer backups, I kept putting it off. I woke up this morning to an odd metallic smell like a transformer was going bad. When I went out to the hallway I could hear my ATO beeping like it does if it has been on for too long. I went downstairs to find about 4 gallons of water on the floor, and the smell of burning plastic. I quickly unplugged everything and got the water cleaned up and saw that the plastic on my DC return pump's controller was a little melted. This was where the smell was coming from. The tank wasn't leaking, and the water came from the skimmer overflowing. I'm not sure if a change I made to the skimmer valve caused this, or if the controller went bad causing the skimmer to overflow.

The controller for the pump was laying on the floor in my stand. One thing I had been putting off was doing wire maintenance and getting everything off of the floor. For anyone reading this, if there is something you have been putting off....go do it! Luckily all I ended up with was some wet towels and a dead pump, but it could have been much worse.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have been meaning to do is put a smoke detector right above my tank so at least I could gets a heads up as quickly as possible. I had a power strip go one night, I had fallen asleep on the couch and I woke up to that burnt electrical smell. Luckily it melted just s little before the circuit blew.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one reefer with a Nest smoke alarm under there, It will text you. Thanks for the heads up abecker.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back