(Another) Word of caution thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter abecker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

abecker

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2015
Messages
520
Reaction score
188
Location
Charlotte, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen many threads people posted about leaks/fires/catastrophes and their words of caution and I keep saying, "I should probably do those things so it doesn't happen to me". However, just like doing computer backups, I kept putting it off. I woke up this morning to an odd metallic smell like a transformer was going bad. When I went out to the hallway I could hear my ATO beeping like it does if it has been on for too long. I went downstairs to find about 4 gallons of water on the floor, and the smell of burning plastic. I quickly unplugged everything and got the water cleaned up and saw that the plastic on my DC return pump's controller was a little melted. This was where the smell was coming from. The tank wasn't leaking, and the water came from the skimmer overflowing. I'm not sure if a change I made to the skimmer valve caused this, or if the controller went bad causing the skimmer to overflow.

The controller for the pump was laying on the floor in my stand. One thing I had been putting off was doing wire maintenance and getting everything off of the floor. For anyone reading this, if there is something you have been putting off....go do it! Luckily all I ended up with was some wet towels and a dead pump, but it could have been much worse.
 
One thing I have been meaning to do is put a smoke detector right above my tank so at least I could gets a heads up as quickly as possible. I had a power strip go one night, I had fallen asleep on the couch and I woke up to that burnt electrical smell. Luckily it melted just s little before the circuit blew.
 
I saw one reefer with a Nest smoke alarm under there, It will text you. Thanks for the heads up abecker.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 25.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new