Anthias bacterial or fungus?

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These 3 Anthias have been in QT for 12 days. One anthias developed a small pin prick red spot yesterday evening. Thought it might have been from fighting because the two bigger anthias occasionally spar. This morning another anthias looked like it has a white patch on side and the one with red spot looks like there may be a little white around it. I dosed metroplex and kanaplex. Am I the right track? Is there anything else I should be dosing? I also have hydroplex, prazipro and Cuppramine. The fish were dipped in hydroplex before entering my QT and are from Divers Den so have had a round of copper before arrival.
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0990.JPG

Ammonia badge is yellow. 8g water change on 20g QT e/o day. 0 nitrite 5-10 nitrate. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a microscope? Could be dealing with Uronema. In that case CP and/or H2O2.

I have a kids microscope. I don't know if that will help any. What would I be looking for?

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish are doing worse today and looks more and more like uronema :(

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear it. :( Given the Holiday if you can't get your hands on any CP try to dig up some H2O2.

Let me back up a bit. I have used CP with Anthias, but have also read on many occasion that Anthias species can be sensitive to CP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried that already. Fish are in cupramine (not therapeutic yet), metroplex, kannaplex and furan-2 now. I also just got formalin but I think they are to far gone.

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear it. I don't think that the copper will have much of an effect on the Uronema unfortunately.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that’s either bacterial or uronema...

I hope it clears quickly!

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the 3 have now passed. The other is not looking good at all and is laying on bottom of tank. I am leaning towards uronema. I hate to say it but as soon as the other passes I will bleach the tank and any other equipment used. Will have to start from scratch on QT. Praying hard that nothing was accidentally transferred to DT and cycling rocks. We have been careful but uronema scares me! Here is postmortem pic showing the now red blotches that were just white yesterday.
20180101_200638.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the 3 have now passed. The other is not looking good at all and is laying on bottom of tank. I am leaning towards uronema. I hate to say it but as soon as the other passes I will bleach the tank and any other equipment used. Will have to start from scratch on QT. Praying hard that nothing was accidentally transferred to DT and cycling rocks. We have been careful but uronema scares me! Here is postmortem pic showing the now red blotches that were just white yesterday.
20180101_200638.jpg
Sorry did the losses, this looks and sounds like uronema. It doesn’t impact many fish outside of chromis/damsels and some butterflies but when it does it’s pretty deadly!

Myk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thumbs up for QT'ing big time in this case. You don't want this stuff in your display. It does not need a host to survive, so you are making a good call to disinfect all of the gear well.

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never heard of it before yesterday. I think I have spent 10 hours between yesterday and today reading about uronema! I'm really sad because we really wanted anthias but can't keep throwing money down the toilet either. Thanks for everybodies help! I just hit my 1 year mark of reefing and couldn't have done it without all the wonderful help and advise on here!

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss. Can you get a look at it under the microscope for a more conclusive ID?

OP
OP
cycled123

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss. Can you get a look at it under the microscope for a more conclusive ID?
I don't have a good enough microscope. I tried under my kids microscope which actually was pretty decent when we got it but it is now to scratched up to really see anything.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back