OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7c99ad43800a54df93a69414c663900a.jpg

I’ve lost 2 fishes now and both of them died with the same mouth wide open. Even the 3 DOA that came also had mouth wide open.
I’ve proper oxygenation in tank I can assure that as, I’ve treated 4 other fishes before in the same setup. But I’m at a loss with what I’m fighting, is it velvet, or bad acclimation?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been scouring the other forums online and there is no solid answers out there, only advice and opinions. It could be a lot of things from parasites, acclimation method or ammonia burn. It seems a large number of anthias die with their mouths open wide like this, perhaps collection methods might be a viable cause. I have seen whole batches of fish all die, all from the same vendor. Needless to say, I don’t get my fish there any longer..

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been scouring the other forums online and there is no solid answers out there, only advice and opinions. It could be a lot of things from parasites, acclimation method or ammonia burn. It seems a large number of anthias die with their mouths open wide like this, perhaps collection methods might be a viable cause. I have seen whole batches of fish all die, all from the same vendor. Needless to say, I don’t get my fish there any longer..

Yes even I’ve been reading a lot too, and I’ve also never got a clear solid answer.

ZachH455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no obvious signs of disease. Their bellies are pretty sunken in, but since they're new and not accepting food that isn't exactly strange. They may have just not shipped well, and died from the stress. The mouth wide open after death thing isn't uncommon either, regardless of the cause of death that is common (think of it like rigor). Really all you can do is insure they're in good water conditions and attempt to feed. I'd go with cyclops like others are saying. Maybe throw some PVC or something in for them to hide in (I didn't see if they had any hiding spots in the pics). Probably not much you can do, and treating isn't a great idea since we have no idea what is going on with them.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no obvious signs of disease. Their bellies are pretty sunken in, but since they're new and not accepting food that isn't exactly strange. They may have just not shipped well, and died from the stress. The mouth wide open after death thing isn't uncommon either, regardless of the cause of death that is common (think of it like rigor). Really all you can do is insure they're in good water conditions and attempt to feed. I'd go with cyclops like others are saying. Maybe throw some PVC or something in for them to hide in (I didn't see if they had any hiding spots in the pics). Probably not much you can do, and treating isn't a great idea since we have no idea what is going on with them.

I’ve a total of 5 pvc pipes In there. Just that it isn’t visible in pic as the pics are zoomed in. Rn can’t upload pic because of bad connection. But they’re not interested in hiding in pipes rather under sponge filter.
As for cyclops I’m unable to get them anywhere near me.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve a total of 5 pvc pipes In there. Just that it isn’t visible in pic as the pics are zoomed in. Rn can’t upload pic because of bad connection. But they’re not interested in hiding in pipes rather under sponge filter.
As for cyclops I’m unable to get them anywhere near me.

Cyclops are tiny, put them in..
They will eat when they are ready..
don’t worry about them going near you, they likely never will.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyclops are tiny, put them in..
They will eat when they are ready..
don’t worry about them going near you, they likely never will.

Lol bro, I’m saying that lfs or any other market im does not have cyclops.

ZachH455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol bro, I’m saying that lfs or any other market im does not have cyclops.
Try PE Calanus if they have that. I feed that in lieu of cyclops and have good results. (I also feed NLS Small Pellets 4x daily on an autofeeder, LRS Reef Frenzy, PE Mysis, Garlic Brine Shrimp). The health of my 4 anthias notably improved after starting them on Calanus.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try any fish/prawn eggs. including Reed nutrition R.O.E. if you still can't find that go to a local fish market and get ROE.. they are likely way too stressed to eat. What temp do you have them at? Cooler water will also make breathing easier where as warmer water holds less oxygen and increase metabolism. Do not bug them all day shoving food in their face either (not saying you are). The food needs to be suspended also, they will not pick at it on the ground. How big is the QT? Fast flow for the food to entice them is important. I highly highly doubt they have a disease or parasite that is causing any of your troubles. They are stressed and most likely have ammonia burned gills from a long acclimation after being in transit so long. I have done well with notoriously difficult anthias species, you need to make them feel secure and feed more naturally

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try any fish/prawn eggs. including Reed nutrition R.O.E. if you still can't find that go to a local fish market and get ROE.. they are likely way too stressed to eat. What temp do you have them at? Cooler water will also make breathing easier where as warmer water holds less oxygen and increase metabolism. Do not bug them all day shoving food in their face either (not saying you are). The food needs to be suspended also, they will not pick at it on the ground. How big is the QT? Fast flow for the food to entice them is important. I highly highly doubt they have a disease or parasite that is causing any of your troubles. They are stressed and most likely have ammonia burned gills from a long acclimation after being in transit so long. I have done well with notoriously difficult anthias species, you need to make them feel secure and feed more naturally

Only one fish is left out of four, they died pretty fast, in just 24-28 hours.
The only remaining survivor is now eating and looks very very healthy she never stays still and is swimming perfectly. She’s accepting all the food which I offer.
I’m blaming myself only for wrong acclimation shouldn’t have acclimated them in bag water.
The qt is 60 gallon, food is being served the same way you mentioned. I know this fish will live now.
I’m feeding this fish metro kana diet also once a day. Like I always do.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lesson learned from this experience is that no matter how much it costs always ship via plane and not by train. And mostly I’ll stick to my local lfs only.
Woes with the landlocked city is that there isn’t as much variety of livestock as there is on a seaside cities lfs, so I ordered from a Mumbai fish store. But the next time if I’ll have to I’ll order by plane.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back