Anthias id and info

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this anthias from a petco when traveling back home from out of town. Now that I have it I kind of want to get a couple more to get a group but need to know what it is. They were not sure what kind of anthias it is, and sold it to me as a pink anthias after looking at their prices for about twenty minutes. I was told it might be a female Lyretail but a couple people said it looks different then theirs...so does anybody know what kind of anthias this is? It's front half is pink, fins are yellow, and some of the scales on the back half have an orangish appearance. It has a redish stripe by its eye to its gill, but not the purple like I seen in lyretails and it's eye isn't purple. It is in my sons biocube right now for observation, as I don't completely trust fish from petco. I plan to adding it to my display next week and now have a few questions.

I've read some anthias are very aggressive. I have a flame wrasse and hooded fairy wrasse, is it likely the anthias will bully them?

If I get a group, should I add them all at the same time or can I add tis one first and a few more females a little later?

Will this turn male without any females? I was told it will not change without any females present, but in my fish keeping experience a single fish will turn the dominant form.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402497249.831422.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402497375.339584.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402497461.204386.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402497536.077102.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a female squamipinnis anthias. They are a medium aggression anthias, one of the easier species to keep. They do best in an odd numbered group and show their best colors that way. It will not be an issue with your current inhabitants. It is possible for a female to transition to male without females present.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I thought it was a Lyretail. I was not sure anymore as a lady told me it didn't look like her female lyretails. Should I wait to add it until after I get the other two females or can I add this one first?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add more than one when you add them, this one being in first wont make much of a difference. I woulnt get any males, just stick to females, and they will sort it out themselves.

OP
OP
bct15

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to order a couple more females, thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I believe what you have MIGHT be a female squareback anthias. Look here: Squareback Anthias
Click on the photo to expand it and check out the marking around the eye.

While a female pink square has the markings below the eye, her coloring will be consistent throughout the body and fins, the body is also bulkier than a squami too, google search both, you will see yours is a female squami.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back