Anthias in QT white spot or scrape?

franklinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have 3 female lyretails in QT, they have been in there for a 10 days just under observation, and making sure they are happy and feeding well. All was good!!
This morning I’ve spotted a white mark on the side of the largest. It does look more like a scrape, but I’m new to QT/ fish disease etc…
IMG_2272.jpeg

It does look like there’s also a little spec of something on her bottom fin?
Should I treat for anything? Or wait to be sure it actually is something?
I didn’t want to treat for anything unless necessary. QT was kind of a watch for anything and feed them up thing.
What should I do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have 3 female lyretails in QT, they have been in there for a 10 days just under observation, and making sure they are happy and feeding well. All was good!!
This morning I’ve spotted a white mark on the side of the largest. It does look more like a scrape, but I’m new to QT/ fish disease etc…
IMG_2272.jpeg

It does look like there’s also a little spec of something on her bottom fin?
Should I treat for anything? Or wait to be sure it actually is something?
I didn’t want to treat for anything unless necessary. QT was kind of a watch for anything and feed them up thing.
What should I do?
That’s probably just a broken fin ray. However, observational quarantine is almost always a mistake. The fish could easily carry flukes or even ich through the process and into your display. A more proactive process is described here:

Jay

OP
OP
franklinsreef

franklinsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have medication available to treat, but my thinking was that if anything did show up I could treat specifically for whatever it was. I am a bit nervous of treating full stop! Hadn’t fully decided wether or not to run a course of cupramine. Worried I’ll do it wrong, or overdose, or ammonia will go sky high….

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have medication available to treat, but my thinking was that if anything did show up I could treat specifically for whatever it was. I am a bit nervous of treating full stop! Hadn’t fully decided wether or not to run a course of cupramine. Worried I’ll do it wrong, or overdose, or ammonia will go sky high….
Cupramine is harsher than coppersafe, and it has more reactions with reducing agents that you need to avoid.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back