Anthias just hiding....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think anthias call for QT probably more than just about any other group of fish. I recently bought a male Randall’s and it took close to two weeks alone in a tank for him to reliably venture out from behind the rocks. He’d have been a gonner for sure if I had put him straight into my competitve display.

OP
OP
Hubtech

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. These were my first not simple fish. I feel bad for the losses but not necessarily at fault. What are my options now? I have a single female doing awesome just leave it as the only anthias?

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I stopped buying male anthias a long time ago. Far better, in my view to just buy females and let them 'decide'.

I've always done this as well, but I had once ordered a group of lyretails come from LA that were all pretty good sized females, too big IMO, and once had a submale that eventually grew to male and outcompeted the other.
Since then I've been getting one very large male and much smaller females, this seems to work best for me

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. These were my first not simple fish. I feel bad for the losses but not necessarily at fault. What are my options now? I have a single female doing awesome just leave it as the only anthias?

If it's out and about and eating you probably could, it will most likely turn male eventually, but I've had this myself once after having other groups of lyres, and knowing the difference, it always seemed like my solo lyretail seemed lost.
I think they definitely do better or seem more natural in a group, and I think you get more enjoyment out of a group.

Personally I would let that one be, take your time, get a qt going, order small females later down the road

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back