Anthias lover's thread

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous fish! I can't wait till I get my bicolor.

SaltyBiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a trio of Lyre tail Anthias for about a year in a half. Love how beautiful and active they are in the mid to upper regions of the tank.
I am curious as to any opinions and advice... I'd love to have some purple queens Anthias also. The Lyretails aren't quite as aggressive as other species (bartletts come to mind lol) and Queens are very shy. Do you think my trio of Lyretails would attack a trio of Queens in a 150g if I were to add them? I've never mixed Anthias, for obvious reasons, but have heard success stories before.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my Pair or Lyretail Anthias.

DSC_8273.jpg

DSC_8272.jpg

DSC_8271.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a trio of Lyre tail Anthias for about a year in a half. Love how beautiful and active they are in the mid to upper regions of the tank.
I am curious as to any opinions and advice... I'd love to have some purple queens Anthias also. The Lyretails aren't quite as aggressive as other species (bartletts come to mind lol) and Queens are very shy. Do you think my trio of Lyretails would attack a trio of Queens in a 150g if I were to add them? I've never mixed Anthias, for obvious reasons, but have heard success stories before.
Squamipinnis have always been on the aggressive side for me, right up there with bartletts.

Purple queens also are notoriously difficult to get eating. Keeping them with other anthias may help them start accepting foods, however if it is with a more aggressive anthias it may not work.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I passed on the bicolor anthias but did get two ignitus anthias. They arrived yesterday and look to be in pretty good shape. Really good color with nice contrast between the orange body and the white underside and their swimming behavior was good as they swam together behind a piece of PVC pipe, though they haven't moved much since being introduced to the tank. I have them in my quarantine tank.

They've been in the tank for 18 hours now. I've fed 3 times so far, twice yesterday and once so far this morning. I am using a hand grater to shave my PE mysis which then i soak garlic in the mysis and tank water solution. So far they have not eaten to my knowledge. Should I just keep feeding like this regularly even though they really aren't showing many signs of interest in food yet?

This behavior is new to me. All other fish I have, have shown strong interest in eating from the first moment.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I passed on the bicolor anthias but did get two ignitus anthias. They arrived yesterday and look to be in pretty good shape. Really good color with nice contrast between the orange body and the white underside and their swimming behavior was good as they swam together behind a piece of PVC pipe, though they haven't moved much since being introduced to the tank. I have them in my quarantine tank.

They've been in the tank for 18 hours now. I've fed 3 times so far, twice yesterday and once so far this morning. I am using a hand grater to shave my PE mysis which then i soak garlic in the mysis and tank water solution. So far they have not eaten to my knowledge. Should I just keep feeding like this regularly even though they really aren't showing many signs of interest in food yet?

This behavior is new to me. All other fish I have, have shown strong interest in eating from the first moment.
Try to up the flow in the tank, anthias love a lot of current, and get the food in the flow.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to give this a shot as well then. I have a fathead anthias that stopped eating on day 4 of my melafix/pimafix dosage. I did also unplug a power head somewhere in that mix now that I think about it.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to up the flow in the tank, anthias love a lot of current, and get the food in the flow.
I tried this on the second and third feeding today. I put garlic-soaked thawed brine shrimp in the flow of the powerhead and I saw more interest in the food, but still no eating. Just seeing some curiosity about the food is an improvement. Maybe tomorrow they'll eat during one of the feedings.

Reef_Junkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't really fond of Anthias at first until I owned one. Now i'm so fascinated by them.... the only thing is, they hide in my tank 80% of the time. Wish I could enjoy them more but they are such wussies.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake try adding food without the garlic, upping the flow yesterday did the trick but my fathead had absolutely no interest in my garlic/selcon soaked food.

I stopped with the garlic but I started soaking my frozen brine shrimp in selcon (about 1/2 what the recommended dose is on the label) and I both anthias started feeding shortly after. They won't come out of hiding when I'm right in front of the tank, but if I move away and wait, both will come out and start darting back and forth. I can only assume they are eating the brine because when I check on them less than 10 minutes later there isn't any brine shrimp in the tank anymore.

The Kole that is in the QT with them seems to be eating a little of the brine, but mostly the algae wafers I drop in each day.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I have the same problem with my anthias she will let me be in the same room but watch me closely the whole time and if I get to near or plop down in front of the tank she hides. Luckily the cave she is in has a relatively uninterrupted path from a power head so I can drop some food in front of it and get some directly to her. My dumb clowns get most of the food but I do see her getting some.

Spsmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a male borbinios anthias and would like to add a pair of ventralis and two sunburst (fathead) anthias. Would this be ok?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a male borbinios anthias and would like to add a pair of ventralis and two sunburst (fathead) anthias. Would this be ok?
Ventralis anthias are delicate and do better in cooler temps.

The borb may have issue with the sunburst, but will likely be ok.

JakeK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about mixing species.

If I have ignitus now and want to add a second species of anthias, say a lyretail, squareback or a randall's would any of those get along with 2 or 3 ignitus?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about mixing species.

If I have ignitus now and want to add a second species of anthias, say a lyretail, squareback or a randall's would any of those get along with 2 or 3 ignitus?
Randalls will get along best, the pink square will 'swim through' a group of anthias, but beyond that won't bother them. Squamipinnis will be social with them, but over time may pick on the ignitus.

Mark Lane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me why my male lyretail doesn't want to extend out his dorsal fin, the long spine on top? Is it a sign of dominance? He is only anthias in the tank at the moment but he was initially harassed by a yellow tang.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me why my male lyretail doesn't want to extend out his dorsal fin, the long spine on top? Is it a sign of dominance? He is only anthias in the tank at the moment but he was initially harassed by a yellow tang.
It is used for displys of dominance, if the yellow tang gives him a hard time he may be reluctant to display for fear of being beat up. Put a mirror up to the tank and see what happens. If the yellow tang goes after him when he displays to his reflection you will know what is going on.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back