Anthias lover's thread

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by pgravis, Sep 9, 2015.

1. pgravis

pgravis Active Member

There might not be as much diversity or the same level of dedication as the with wrasse and angels, but anthias, for me are the main reason to have fish in a tank! So post photos, success stories, tips and tricks, anything relating to anthias.
    Most of these fish weren't mine, but came through my lfs and I had the chance to photograph them: IMG_6858.JPG IMG_5284.JPG IMG_4466.JPG IMG_1361.JPG IMG_4317.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0739.JPG IMG_6557.JPG IMG_6969.JPG IMG_7298.JPG IMG_6627.JPG IMG_0740.JPG IMG_8871.JPG IMG_8889.JPG IMG_8959.JPG IMG_8960.JPG IMG_8927.JPG IMG_9032.JPG IMG_9272.JPG IMG_9293.JPG

Cment, RIReefer, JakeK and 5 others like this.
    Tags:

2. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

There's was a recent, similar thread (show off your anthias, or something like that). You should post your pictures there; or at lest go and look, there are some excellent shots there already.

3. pgravis

pgravis Active Member

Thanks. I looked but didn't see one. I'll check again. Maybe I was too specific in my search. No sense having more than one (or three) threads on the same thing.

4. ca1ore

ca1ore Valuable Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award R2R TV Featured Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Bumped it for ya :); then realized I hadn't actually posted mine :(

eatbreakfast likes this.
  5. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018 NJRC Member

Great pictures. Love my borbonius. image.jpg

ZoaCollector and 143MPCo like this.
  6. ca1ore

I'm assuming these are female ventralis?

7. steelheader.262

steelheader.262 Valuable Member

Beautiful, would love to add a trio to my system some day.

8. pgravis

pgravis Active Member

Yeah, I am pretty sure they are

9. Squadir

Squadir Active Member

how can I tell if my Bartlet's is a male or not? I have one and want to add 2 more. I love these. They surely make a tank lively.

10. pgravis

pgravis Active Member

Unfortunately my love of anthias doesn't make me much of an expert, so hopefully others will chime in, but I've heard bartlets can be harder to sex initially. But more pink on the head may be a sign of a male. If you get more, maybe get smaller ones and let them work it out.

11. Squadir

Squadir Active Member

ok, thanks. will check out what the LFS has and weigh my options then.

12. ca1ore

Typically, the male Bartlett has a pink head, the dorsal spine, and a faint vertical yellow stripe mid body.

13. soggytees

soggytees Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Great photos!

14. pgravis

pgravis Active Member

Another pic from this week:
    IMG_1735.JPG

rajkovich207 likes this.
  15. DeniseAndy

DeniseAndy Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

All you anthias lovers, I have a question for you. My stocky pair have passed away within the last 6 months (last one just died a few days ago). These guys were quite aggressive and I had to hold back getting more after they took out 5 others. Now, years later, I finally get to get more anthias. Yippeee! Don't get me wrong, I loved my stockies. Otherwise I would not have put up with their refusal to accept any others in the tank. :)

Now, I am thinking of two different speciesto add:

5 to 7 Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus)
    3 to 5 Dispar (Pseudanthias dispar)
    5 to 7 Diadem (Pseudanthias parvirostris)
    5 Lori's (Pseudanthias lori)

Now, I only want 2 species. Anyone experience these variations and have some input?

These would be going into a 210g dt with a Kole tang, 2 clown pairs, 5 cardinals, Christmas wrasse, mystery wrasse, engineer goby, 3 indigo dottybacks, swallowtail angel female, and a damsel. Everyone has been in the tank a while. Last added were the dot/dash cardinals (4 of which 2 are now living).

Also, will these guys peck down the group to a lower number and should I start with a lower number? I plan to get all juveniles if possible. I am a very patient person, so I wait till I am ready and have what I want. :)

16. rajkovich207

rajkovich207 Well-Known Member

Anyone know how active these are? I love them and finally have a big enough tank for one but I haven't found a ton of info on them.
    Not sure why it didn't quote my post and I'm not sure how to add a quote after the fact. I'm referring to the fathead anthias posted just above me.

17. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Expert Contributor Partner Member

Of the possible species, the lori anthias is the most difficult, they often come in refusing to eat. The other species are significantly hardier.

In my tank the female parvirostris were/are aggressive with one another dwindling there numbers from 8 down to 3.

Whenever I kept dispars and pulcherrimus they were fine and the group numbers and dynamics were stable.

Of your current fish the mystery wrasse and the dottybacks may cause some issue, but I am not overly concerned.
    Fathead or sunburst anthias are not very active. They generally stay to there designated area.

18. rajkovich207

That's what I thought. Are the reclusive or do they just not patrol the waters much?

19. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Partner Member 2018 Expert Contributor Partner Member

They are a little reclusive, but are visible. They will get more bold as they get comfortable, but never very active.

Reef_Junkies likes this.
  20. rajkovich207

As long as I can usually see this beautiful fish regularly I don't mind if he isn't cruising around. I'm very superficial, as long as my fish are pretty that's all that counts =P

Draft saved Draft deleted