Anthias lover's thread

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There might not be as much diversity or the same level of dedication as the with wrasse and angels, but anthias, for me are the main reason to have fish in a tank! So post photos, success stories, tips and tricks, anything relating to anthias.
Most of these fish weren't mine, but came through my lfs and I had the chance to photograph them:
IMG_6858.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG
IMG_4466.JPG
IMG_1361.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_6557.JPG
IMG_6969.JPG
IMG_7298.JPG
IMG_6627.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG
IMG_8871.JPG
IMG_8889.JPG
IMG_8959.JPG
IMG_8960.JPG
IMG_8927.JPG
IMG_9032.JPG
IMG_9272.JPG
IMG_9293.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's was a recent, similar thread (show off your anthias, or something like that). You should post your pictures there; or at lest go and look, there are some excellent shots there already.

OP
OP
pgravis

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I looked but didn't see one. I'll check again. Maybe I was too specific in my search. No sense having more than one (or three) threads on the same thing.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumped it for ya :); then realized I hadn't actually posted mine :(

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how can I tell if my Bartlet's is a male or not? I have one and want to add 2 more. I love these. They surely make a tank lively.

OP
OP
pgravis

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my love of anthias doesn't make me much of an expert, so hopefully others will chime in, but I've heard bartlets can be harder to sex initially. But more pink on the head may be a sign of a male. If you get more, maybe get smaller ones and let them work it out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, the male Bartlett has a pink head, the dorsal spine, and a faint vertical yellow stripe mid body.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you anthias lovers, I have a question for you. My stocky pair have passed away within the last 6 months (last one just died a few days ago). These guys were quite aggressive and I had to hold back getting more after they took out 5 others. Now, years later, I finally get to get more anthias. Yippeee! Don't get me wrong, I loved my stockies. Otherwise I would not have put up with their refusal to accept any others in the tank. :)

Now, I am thinking of two different speciesto add:

5 to 7 Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus)
3 to 5 Dispar (Pseudanthias dispar)
5 to 7 Diadem (Pseudanthias parvirostris)
5 Lori's (Pseudanthias lori)

Now, I only want 2 species. Anyone experience these variations and have some input?

These would be going into a 210g dt with a Kole tang, 2 clown pairs, 5 cardinals, Christmas wrasse, mystery wrasse, engineer goby, 3 indigo dottybacks, swallowtail angel female, and a damsel. Everyone has been in the tank a while. Last added were the dot/dash cardinals (4 of which 2 are now living).

Also, will these guys peck down the group to a lower number and should I start with a lower number? I plan to get all juveniles if possible. I am a very patient person, so I wait till I am ready and have what I want. :)

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how active these are? I love them and finally have a big enough tank for one but I haven't found a ton of info on them.
Not sure why it didn't quote my post and I'm not sure how to add a quote after the fact. I'm referring to the fathead anthias posted just above me.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you anthias lovers, I have a question for you. My stocky pair have passed away within the last 6 months (last one just died a few days ago). These guys were quite aggressive and I had to hold back getting more after they took out 5 others. Now, years later, I finally get to get more anthias. Yippeee! Don't get me wrong, I loved my stockies. Otherwise I would not have put up with their refusal to accept any others in the tank. :)

Now, I am thinking of two different speciesto add:

5 to 7 Resplendent Anthias (Pseudanthias pulcherrimus)
3 to 5 Dispar (Pseudanthias dispar)
5 to 7 Diadem (Pseudanthias parvirostris)
5 Lori's (Pseudanthias lori)

Now, I only want 2 species. Anyone experience these variations and have some input?

These would be going into a 210g dt with a Kole tang, 2 clown pairs, 5 cardinals, Christmas wrasse, mystery wrasse, engineer goby, 3 indigo dottybacks, swallowtail angel female, and a damsel. Everyone has been in the tank a while. Last added were the dot/dash cardinals (4 of which 2 are now living).

Also, will these guys peck down the group to a lower number and should I start with a lower number? I plan to get all juveniles if possible. I am a very patient person, so I wait till I am ready and have what I want. :)
Of the possible species, the lori anthias is the most difficult, they often come in refusing to eat. The other species are significantly hardier.

In my tank the female parvirostris were/are aggressive with one another dwindling there numbers from 8 down to 3.

Whenever I kept dispars and pulcherrimus they were fine and the group numbers and dynamics were stable.

Of your current fish the mystery wrasse and the dottybacks may cause some issue, but I am not overly concerned.
Anyone know how active these are? I love them and finally have a big enough tank for one but I haven't found a ton of info on them.
Not sure why it didn't quote my post and I'm not sure how to add a quote after the fact. I'm referring to the fathead anthias posted just above me.
Fathead or sunburst anthias are not very active. They generally stay to there designated area.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought. Are the reclusive or do they just not patrol the waters much?
They are a little reclusive, but are visible. They will get more bold as they get comfortable, but never very active.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as I can usually see this beautiful fish regularly I don't mind if he isn't cruising around. I'm very superficial, as long as my fish are pretty that's all that counts =P

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back