Anthias sex change

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a week ago I got a harem of Ventralis Anthias as a "rescue" since someone couldn't keep up with their feeding. Knowing that I have Purple Queens, she just gave them to me. There is one male and 4 females, however, all of the anthias were beating the crap out of the smallest female (to the point where she was getting scrapes on the side), so I had to move her to another tank.

I was wondering if she would turn into a male despite being the only one. Probably could answer for all anthias in general.

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don’t know the answer to your question, I suspect a solitary ventralis will fare poorly in the long run. Have kept ventralis in the past for a few years, they’re probably my favourite small species.

The only real long term success I had with them was as a harem in what was basically a cooler water species tank. They had very quiet tank mates and this worked until I got greedy and added other anthia species.

Within months half the ventralis were gone. A few months later the rest were finished. May I ask how they’re reacting to the tukas and how long you’ve had them established?

Thanks for your time
Angie

OP
OP
E

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept the tukas for years, the ventralis has only been there for over a week. Tukas are usually a docile species as well, it is in a 240g.

I have kept a single Ventralis in the past, just this group was just donation. I have kept a single male until I gave it to a friend when I was going to college, still doing well alone.

I keep my tanks at 77-78, but the way I compensate is feeding A LOT more. I feed my tanks 10 small feedings a day. When I am at work, I'll put a Smarter Reef Reefcicle just for the day. This definitely helps as I would expect higher temperature would boost their metabolism immensely.

The ventralis eats everything, including flakes. So does my tukas.

Pretty much plenty small feedings and very high flow (Over 60x turnover) helps when keeping these guys in higher temps.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see a video. The tuka has eluded me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back