Anthias VS. Anthias

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 Evansi Anthias and would like to add some Ventralis. Does anyone have any experience mixing these 2? Alternatively, would anyone know of any literature on the subject?

Thanks much!

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt imagine youd have any issues but I have no experience with Evansi. I just added 3 more ventralis to my pair yesterday so hoping they all get along (also have borbonius and pictillis).

OP
OP
E

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt imagine youd have any issues but I have no experience with Evansi. I just added 3 more ventralis to my pair yesterday so hoping they all get along (also have borbonius and pictillis).
Sweet. Where did you get your Ventralis? Also, can you share pictures of them? I'd love to see them.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked 3 cook island females from ReefCo who is local and my Philippines pair (started off female) I got from pieces of the ocean 2 or 3 years back at RAP NY.

20190515_190152.jpg

20180127_120341.jpg

20180209_175907.jpg

OP
OP
E

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked 3 cook island females from ReefCo who is local and my Philippines pair (started off female) I got from pieces of the ocean 2 or 3 years back at RAP NY.

20190515_190152.jpg

20180127_120341.jpg

20180209_175907.jpg
Wow! They're stunning!!

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kmsutows
How often do you feed your Ventralis and what do you feed them?
What's your tank temp like summer and year round?

Awesome

I first got them eating on reef nutrition R.O.E and I just bought some more for my new ones since they took to it so well. Now they eat anything and everything. I feed an assortment of primarily LRS fish frenzy, mysis, spirulina brine, plankton, occasional fish eggs or nutramar ova, and occasional fresh clams diced up and fresh shrimp pieces when we make them for dinner! I try and feed my tank small meals AT LEAST 3 times a day from when I get home around 5 to lights off at ~9. Usually more like 5 or more times just small amounts though.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to mention temps... I really try for 75-76 but my lights usually keep it about 77-78. On rare occasions in summer it may get to 80 but not for long. My blue spot jawfish tells me if it's getting to 78 or above by jumping into my overflow... luckily hes learned to jump back on his own.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh forgot to mention temps... I really try for 75-76 but my lights usually keep it about 77-78. On rare occasions in summer it may get to 80 but not for long. My blue spot jawfish tells me if it's getting to 78 or above by jumping into my overflow... luckily hes learned to jump back on his own.
So can you give me some info on temp? Why do you keep your temp that low? Also is there a thread concerning mixing different anthias? these are my favorite fish and I currently keep 3 lyretail. Thx in advance!

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you give me some info on temp? Why do you keep your temp that low? Also is there a thread concerning mixing different anthias? these are my favorite fish and I currently keep 3 lyretail. Thx in advance!

Ventralis anthias are deep water.. they like it colder than our reef tanks. I also have a blue spot jawfish which needs colder temps as well. Mixing anthias can work but completely depends on what ones you mix... I like lyretails a lot but never got them because I knew I one day wanted ventralis and the lyretails would either kill them or at minimum ensure the ventralis didnt get any food. If you have the space, you can add bigger anthias to your lyretails like pictillis or pink square or borbonius but again depends on size of your tank.

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ventralis anthias are deep water.. they like it colder than our reef tanks. I also have a blue spot jawfish which needs colder temps as well. Mixing anthias can work but completely depends on what ones you mix... I like lyretails a lot but never got them because I knew I one day wanted ventralis and the lyretails would either kill them or at minimum ensure the ventralis didnt get any food. If you have the space, you can add bigger anthias to your lyretails like pictillis or pink square or borbonius but again depends on size of your tank.
Thx for thereply. Yes I really like the pinktail. If I can get 5 or 6 at once I will.

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kmsutows How are your Pictilis and your Ventralis getting along? I have a male/female pair of Pictilis and would like to add 3-5 female Ventralis. Thanks for you input!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back