Anthias

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, was in my lfs and saw that they had both some pygmy anthias and beauitful yellow lyretail anthias, and was thinking about getting 3 of either (not sure which ones). I've been keeping saltwater fish for about 3-4 yrs, and have kept somewhat difficult fish (leopard wrasses and copperband butterfly). I know anthias have to be fed a lot and currently have an auto feeder on my tank. What anthias would you recommend keeping, how other should i fed, and what should i feed them?

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, lyretail seem to be the easiest. I’ve also read that dispar and bartletts are on the easier side. Some say a minimum of 5 with most recommending 7-11 to make sure aggression is dispersed. Also it’s recommended to purchase all females incase one or two are already transitioning to males. This way they’ll figure out who is the most dominant. Lastly feed feed and feed some more.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall, lyretail seem to be the easiest. I’ve also read that dispar and bartletts are on the easier side. Some say a minimum of 5 with most recommending 7-11 to make sure aggression is dispersed. Also it’s recommended to purchase all females incase one or two are already transitioning to males. This way they’ll figure out who is the most dominant. Lastly feed feed and feed some more.

Was looking at getting 3 or 4 of them, was gonna set the auto feeder to feed everyone hour or so, just trying to figure out what to feed them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lyretails best ones to get to thrive long term and also very hardy.

ryewalk84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had them in the past and they did best on pellets with an auto feeder. It’s been about 5 years since I’ve had anthias so I’m sure there is something better by now. I do manually feed reefroids reef chili and 3 different sizes of golden pearls in the evening. I bet they would go mad for that stuff. The golden pearls are freeze dried and from BRS. The larger would probably work quite well in an auto feeder.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was looking at. They just got them at the store

Attachments

• VID_20200806_171945.mp4
    36.5 MB

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nice lyretails. A tad skinny, but nothing too serious. Ask the LFS to feed them, then pick the smallest ones that eat (easier for them to establish hierarchy that way).

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nice lyretails. A tad skinny, but nothing too serious. Ask the LFS to feed them, then pick the smallest ones that eat (easier for them to establish hierarchy that way).

Since they just got them in today, i usually wait a few days to make sure they are eating and healthy overall. was gonna pick the 3 or 4 that were smallish but stayed together

Markhoh3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up 3 of these today. To go with some others in my tank. Feed mine twice a day. They are fat and healthy.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up 3 of these today. To go with some others in my tank. Feed mine twice a day. They are fat and healthy.

what you feed yours?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My I ask what sort of tank do you have, what is your target species SPS, LPS, softies or fish because the extra feeding load will push your nitrate/phosphate up and increase the possibility of algae. You suggest feeding 'every hour' how efficient is your filter system, will it cope with all the extra food, don't forget what goes in also comes out the other end.
Having said that lyretails do not need food, food, and more food, like some anthias. What they need is high fat and high protein to build their body weight, unlike tangs and angelfish they do not pick at the rocks so the only source of that fat and protein is what they catch in the water column when you feed. What's the turn-over in the tank- I have a number of anthias in a FO system but my turn-over is 40 times/hr, SPS territory, to keep the food in suspension as long as possible and allow the anthias to get maximum value.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine eat an array of meaty foods and 2-3 dry feedings of flakes and pellets

Acowutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say anthias. I love there activity and they are just great to look at, and as far as food. My lyretails loves the super eggs I just get them at brs.. great protein and fat content and once it’s in the tank all the fish go crazy for it. And ever since I started feeding that. It’s color has been way better!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back