Antibiotic effectiveness on fin rot

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to hear others experience regarding the use of Furan + Kanaplex + Metro on this particular bacterial infection. I've ran 10 days of this combination following the directions exactly on the label and I expected better results. The tail still looks damaged. Is this because a) the treatment needs to run longer, b) a different treatment needed, c) the bacterial infection should be gone and the tail needs time to grow back, or d) something I totally missed. #reefsquad

20200409_180317.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Antibiotics don't cure anything. What they do is give your fish's immune system time to heal itself. Your fish also needs great water quality, excellent food + vitamins ( I prefer Beta Glucan, it really boosts the fish's immune system), low stress environment goes a long way to helping your fish to heal.

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed LRS, Hikari carnivore pellets, and Hikari Mega Marine. I suppose he'll have to stay in QT for a while until he heals up completely. Thanks for the advice :)

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I must have the most sickly Triggerfish in all the world. After the 3 pronged treatment of Furan-2 + Metro + Kanaplex to treat the fin rot he now has what looks like mouth rot. It's been an additional week of Kanaplex and no discernable change in appearance. My LFS suggested Fritzs Maracyn that I'm going to try next along with Neoplex hopefully to help with the healing.

20200420_192249.jpg

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more metro. Any suggestions on future meds?

If you were using Kanaplex I would increase the dosage a lot. It's way lower than what veterinary textbooks recommend and is probably why it fails so often.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back