antibiotics for Anemones ***help***

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen that anemones are susceptable to infections early upon arrival often coming in sick. I see the stickies about treating with Cipro. I'd like to know about other antibiotic options. I have Ceftriaxone and Clindamycin readily available. I dont know if this is comparable to Cipro or if it will work. Does anyone have experience with this? Any pharmacists around?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide the resource that suggests nems can get infections and how? No argument, just curious; from my experience the most common issues when acquiring nems are stabile parameters (specifically ALK and Salinity), flow and lighting (typically causing the nem to stress and move about). Traditionally you want to look for good color and a healthy foot, not sure how you spot infection. Just my .02

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of nem infections -- doesn't mean it's not possible but I've kept dozens o anemones without an apparent infection. I personally feel that ensuring you have strong and stable water parameters should be a primary focus :)

#reefsquad any of you ever hear of antibiotics for anemones?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of them / read of them, but can't remember where ATM, nor do I have to go hunting, as on my way to work ... but IIRC, it's a thing.

~Bruce, who plans to dive into this later . . .

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This goes way back on Reef Central to mostly OrionN who was amazingly successful (I think he is an MD?) keeping various nems like H. Mags when, at least at that time, they have an incredibly poor track record. I don't know if I can link to another forum:

http://test.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2271385

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back