Antibiotics with TTM?

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to start TTM but it also looks like i need to treat with antibiotics. Can I do them at the same time or do they need to be before or after ttm?

If together how should I do them?

If separate how should I do them? The main QT just got a dose of an ammonia reducer yesterday.

Thanks!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run TTM and antibiotics at the same time with little difficulty. You'd want to be sure to add in plenty of oxygen while running antibiotics.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run TTM and antibiotics at the same time with little difficulty. You'd want to be sure to add in plenty of oxygen while running antibiotics.

Agreed. I actually had to start antibiotics while I was doing ttm/hypo a few months back. Like Mel said, make sure you aerate!

Heads up about the ammonia reducer... Generally speaking you want to avoid using it with meds, especially copper. With ttm you shouldn't have to worry too much about ammonia unless you're overstocked or feeding heavy.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

My next question is should I give all fish the antibiotics if only 1 showed signs of an infection? I had 4 fish in QT. One didn't make it and another is showing signs of the bacterial infection. Do I only treat the infected or treat all? I have a blue tang that has been in there for 2 months during fallow period and never showed signs of anything. I guess my question would be is their benefits vs negatives to just medicating all of them at the same time? I will be doing TTM in 2 rounds(2 fish at once and than the last 1 separate). At the end they will all end up in an observation tank.

Thanks in advance!

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

My next question is should I give all fish the antibiotics if only 1 showed signs of an infection? I had 4 fish in QT. One didn't make it and another is showing signs of the bacterial infection. Do I only treat the infected or treat all? I have a blue tang that has been in there for 2 months during fallow period and never showed signs of anything. I guess my question would be is their benefits vs negatives to just medicating all of them at the same time? I will be doing TTM in 2 rounds(2 fish at once and than the last 1 separate). At the end they will all end up in an observation tank.

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend treating all of them. I don't know what %of bacterial infections are contagious, but I'm certain at least some are.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the meds say to do partial water change on like the 2nd day of dosage (Furan-2). In TTM should I do a 25% water change that is recommended? Trying to figure out how to schedule dosage and ttm schedule. I will be using Furan-2, Metroplex, and Kanaplex together. Would also like to use Prazipro. I know @Humblefish has posted schedules before but I cannot find anything specific to this.

Any recommendations on schedule for all of this?

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit- Make sure you dissolve the meds as best as you can in a bowl of tank water. I'd do one med at a time

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- waterchange

If you need to go 14 days-
Day 11- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- waterchange

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit- Make sure you dissolve the meds as best as you can in a bowl of tank water. I'd do one med at a time

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- waterchange

Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- waterchange THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- waterchange

@Humblefish Should we sticky this schedule somewhere? I've given it out a few times now. I can't fathom how many times you, big g, Mel, and 4ford have too.

Thanks!
What days are you transferring? I was doing them on Day 4, 7, 10, and done on day 13. I am guessing you wouldn't do a water change on day 7 if you are transferring. Thanks for all the help!

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
What days are you transferring? I was doing them on Day 4, 7, 10, and done on day 13. I am guessing you wouldn't do a water change on day 7 if you are transferring. Thanks for all the help!

Haha.. Forgot you were doing ttm too.
I'll edit that schedule for ya

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 4- Transfer. ALL 3
Day 5- furan-2
Day 6- waterchange. Then all 3
Day 7- Transfer. THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 10- Transfer. Then all 3
Day 11- waterchange
Day 12- relax
Day 13- transfer to holding tank/permanent qt.

Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- Transfer to holding tank/permanent qt. THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- waterchange

Last edited:

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man. Days 4 and 10 are messing me up. I'm still trying to figure it out without having to do transfers every two days, having to dose all 3 and do waterchanges/transfers almost every day or having a lapse in kana/metro

@Humblefish @Big G @melypr1985
How am I messing this up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need opinion on this. Fish I have are 3.5" blue tang, 3" convict tang, 2" cleaner wrasse. Would you just ttm/medicate all at once using 10g tanks? Or should I split them up and do say blue by itself and wait 2 weeks and do convict with wrasse?

Ammonia being the concern would I have issues with all 3 at the same time? If not would save time and money, but I want to do it right first of all.

Or maybe this would make the schedule easier. Do all 3 at the same time and do transfers every 2 days. Would make medication levels easier to maintain and keep ammonia down.

Thanks again in advance!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be nervous about two tangs in a ten-gallon tank, personally ... but running them separately would mean maintaining a separate QT for whoever's not in TTM - and cleaning it thoroughly before putting the first fish to come out of TTM into it . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be nervous about two tangs in a ten-gallon tank, personally ... but running them separately would mean maintaining a separate QT for whoever's not in TTM - and cleaning it thoroughly before putting the first fish to come out of TTM into it . . .

~Bruce
I have those same concerns, but what to do...lol

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 4- Transfer. ALL 3
Day 5- furan-2
Day 6- waterchange. Then all 3
Day 7- Transfer. THEN all 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 10- Transfer. Then all 3
Day 11- waterchange
Day 12- relax

Day 12- furan-2
Day 13- Transfer to holding tank/permanent qt. THEN all 3
Day 14- furan-2
Day 15- waterchange

How does this look?

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- Transfer. All 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- Transfer. All 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- Transfer. All 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- Transfer. All 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- Transfer
Day 12- relax

And need more input on having both tangs in a 10g tank during TTM. Both would be move over to either a 20g or 50g holding tank after and than 2 weeks later moved to the 150g tank.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concerns here are two-fold. Aggression and stress on the tangs in such a small space and also the ammonia risk. You could make it happen, but daily water changes would probably be needed and that only addresses the ammonia risk. I'd say you could try it and if you see any issues that you can't control with water changes then you can transfer them over to a larger QT and run copper.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this look?

Day 1- all three
Day 2- furan-2
Day 3- Transfer. All 3
Day 4- furan-2
Day 5- Transfer. All 3
Day 6- furan-2
Day 7- Transfer. All 3
Day 8- furan-2
Day 9- Transfer. All 3
Day 10- furan-2
Day 11- Transfer
Day 12- relax

And need more input on having both tangs in a 10g tank during TTM. Both would be move over to either a 20g or 50g holding tank after and than 2 weeks later moved to the 150g tank.

That schedule would absolutely work. I just didn't know if you'd be willing to do that extra transfer. I'm more concerned about 2 tangs in a 10g

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can try the short version of TTM, transfer every 36 hours for the first 4 transfers then 48 hours for the next 3 transfers. You can do this with several 5 gallon buckets and airstones, do add prime every 12 hours tho. IMO, ammonia build up is not an issue because you are doing 100% wc every 1.5/2 days. I'm following the exact schedule, and I do add kanaplex too. So far my wrasse is doing well. Because I only have 1 wrasse, I'm only using 2 gallons of water at 1.018, not a lot of water/salt being wasted, oh and I dont even use a heater, room temp is 24 C

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back