Any breeders left in Ontario / Canada?

Dustinmicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted to keep seahorses - fascinating little guys, finally decided to dive in, the only issue is finding a supplier for captive bred (or any) seahorses in Canada seems nearly impossible! I've heard a rumour there may be a breeder in my area, in London or Woodstock Ontario but haven't found anything concrete. Does anybody around here have an idea if there's a source for any species in Canada anymore?

Most of the information I've come across seems to be outdated and all the shops that I've called in SW Ontario say they haven't seen any for years at this point.

It would be easy enough for me to take a short drive across the border into New York State or Michigan but I don't know the legality of such things and would prefer local if anyone can point me in the right direction :)

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call , text , or email a supplier in Michigan or new york and I’m sure they will know how to get them over the border.

Viridis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Reef Shop in Burlington had some not too long ago... I would call them.

OP
OP
Dustinmicks

Dustinmicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippopotamus erectus and another species, possibly cirri. They're quite expensive, 175$ each for the erectus and 210 for the other

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get a group order going for the dwarf seahorses. They will be about $100 to $120 each. Minimum order for the shipper in the US to do the cites paperwork is 100 I think I'm up to about 20 or 30 accounted for. Let me know if any of you are interested. :) Send me a PM. It's easier to keep track. They are social creatures so I think it's recommended to do at least four but I think the minimum would be two. I think the little guys feel safer in groups.

Viridis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get a group order going for the dwarf seahorses. They will be about $100 to $120 each. Minimum order for the shipper in the US to do the cites paperwork is 100 I think I'm up to about 20 or 30 accounted for. Let me know if any of you are interested. :) Send me a PM. It's easier to keep track. They are social creatures so I think it's recommended to do at least four but I think the minimum would be two. I think the little guys feel safer in groups.
dang, I just spent my extra money on frogfish and another tank! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Whoever ends up getting some, put me on the list for offspring!!!!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, I just spent my extra money on frogfish and another tank! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Whoever ends up getting some, put me on the list for offspring!!!!
Murphy's Law strikes again. LOL. I will be sure to add you to the list for offspring if I can get to the magical 100. :)

OP
OP
Dustinmicks

Dustinmicks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get a larger species, I think the dwarves seem super finicky and I work long days lol, so looking for something a little more hearty. Now if you could get some of the giant Australian species I'd be into that!

Karlene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested! I’ve been looking for a place in Canada to get some!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I will add you to the list. I'm going to reach out to members on other forums where I have seen folks asking about them over the past four years to see if they're still interested. Hopefully I can get enough folks. It's too bad people stopped breeding them up here. What a pain it is trying to get more into the country.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t seen that often anymore .
I haven’t seen a wholesale list in about 10 years but even at that time they were becoming harder to come by .
If you were to contact a few places that import and sell only captive bred species ( @fragbox they might have information

there are a few other shops to check .
Big Als are hit or miss . But I have had some luck ordering hard to find fish from the Newmarket location .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I will add you to the list. I'm going to reach out to members on other forums where I have seen folks asking about them over the past four years to see if they're still interested. Hopefully I can get enough folks. It's too bad people stopped breeding them up here. What a pain it is trying to get more into the country.
Good thing is once you can find them , they breed like rabbits .

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing is once you can find them , they breed like rabbits .
That's what I'm hoping. I see so many old threads going back pre-2010 and there seemed to be a lot up here. Not sure what happened to all of them.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm hoping. I see so many old threads going back pre-2010 and there seemed to be a lot up here. Not sure what happened to all of them.
Because they are expensive and prefer a species specific setup

their dietary requirements make them on the harder side to keep

there was once upon a time a lady in Toronto . As well as a
Breeder I believe in Alberta that shipped
Across Canada .

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also try reaching out to Bayside Corals in Saskatoon. They're usually able to get anything in.
Thanks. I will check with them. I found a store in BC that has a connection into Florida that is willing to do all of the CITES paperwork but they will only ship a minimum of 100 at about $120/pony so the challenge is finding enough people to do the purchase.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will check with them. I found a store in BC that has a connection into Florida that is willing to do all of the CITES paperwork but they will only ship a minimum of 100 at about $120/pony so the challenge is finding enough people to do the purchase.
Buy them all and sell them privately

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back