Any chance of recovery for this coral just started using the coral dip to attempt to recover it?

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to have this coral similar to looking like this but bigger (First picture).

But has unfortunately had a rough patch now looking a bit like this

When i bought is around what it looked like in the first pic and the rest is current (Sorry they aren't the best pictures)

Just started dosing it with coral dip and was told was a chance of recovery because it still is alive but want to know more experienced peoples thoughts thankyou
1688181020169.png
1688181230120.png
IMG_1016.jpg IMG_1019.jpg

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What "miracle dip" did they sell you?

Unfortunately i have not heard many success stories with torches in this condition.

Post your water parameters please.
thats the treatment

Alk/KH: 8.3 i believe maybe a ad bit lower not much
Mag: 1430 recently increased because was really low
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 3
Calcium: 460-440
Phos: 0 i believe
Can't remember Ph sorry mate

Attachments

• IMG_7037.jpg
    IMG_7037.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 19

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats the treatment

Alk/KH: 8.3 i believe maybe a ad bit lower not much
Mag: 1430 recently increased because was really low
Salinity: 1.026
Nitrate: 3
Calcium: 460-440
Phos: 0 i believe
Can't remember Ph sorry mate
Nitrates and phosphate need to be brought up

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welp we posted at the same time lol.

How low was your mag and how quickly did you raise it? You are pulling that coral out to dip it correct? How long have you had it? Hows the flow?

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and phosphate need to be brought up
Was told it was perfect testing unless i've mixed something up if i have could there be any issue with temp in mornings getting a tiny bit lower then expected before we bought a new 300w heater or too much light?

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp we posted at the same time lol.

How low was your mag and how quickly did you raise it? You are pulling that coral out to dip it correct? How long have you had it? Hows the flow?
my auto doser for some reason stopped working on the mag line for a little before i noticed and it reached 900 i believe maybe 950 and we raised 50ml a day for a week to get back to where it was needed to be could that be it?
Flow is really good just added another wave pump so doubt thats the issue and sorry ive had it for about 2-3 months

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Use to have this coral similar to looking like this but bigger (First picture).

But has unfortunately had a rough patch now looking a bit like this

When i bought is around what it looked like in the first pic and the rest is current (Sorry they aren't the best pictures)

Just started dosing it with coral dip and was told was a chance of recovery because it still is alive but want to know more experienced peoples thoughts thankyou
1688181020169.png
1688181230120.png
IMG_1016.jpg IMG_1019.jpg
This is tissue recession from stress and while a dip may help, you need to locate the source. Some possibilities are:
Elevated phosphate and/or nitrate
Too much flow
insufficient light
Calcium below 380
High temperature
low salinity
Low alk

Some things to check

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was told it was perfect testing unless i've mixed something up if i have could there be any issue with temp in mornings getting a tiny bit lower then expected before we bought a new 300w heater or too much light?
Lps like ‘dirtier water’ and need nitrates and phosphates. I had a huge die off a while back and kept loosing one each day, couldn’t figure it out. Turns out my nitrates and phos were at 0 and they were starving to death. I used neonitro and neophos to raise them up

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lps like ‘dirtier water’ and need nitrates and phosphates. I had a huge die off a while back and kept loosing one each day, couldn’t figure it out. Turns out my nitrates and phos were at 0 and they were starving to death. I used neonitro and neophos to raise them up
issue was our tank while not having fish atm is looking ok for coral they all seem to be going well our nitrate we had to bring down because it was increasing a fair amount and our phosphate was the same now that we've lowered it our tanks test from the shop was said to be nearly the best they've seen from us in a while because we've had some upsets only thing i think in my opinion is the issue is this was a coral we've had for a while and i've recently a few weeks ago bought a bunch and all look great just that one previous torch is having a rough time and the only major change we did was increase the mag from 900 to about 1350-1400 where it should be so im a bit confused

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
issue was our tank while not having fish atm is looking ok for coral they all seem to be going well our nitrate we had to bring down because it was increasing a fair amount and our phosphate was the same now that we've lowered it our tanks test from the shop was said to be nearly the best they've seen from us in a while because we've had some upsets only thing i think in my opinion is the issue is this was a coral we've had for a while and i've recently a few weeks ago bought a bunch and all look great just that one previous torch is having a rough time and the only major change we did was increase the mag from 900 to about 1350-1400 where it should be so im a bit confused
Mag being that low would put lots of stress on them

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah kind of thought that would be an issue if i use this coral dip daily is there any hope of recovery in your opinion or wouldn't try?
I don’t know anything about that product to be honest. I find Red Sea ab+ works for me when I see corals start to act up, as well as stable parameters and for torchs I put them in a area with less flow to give them time to heal

OP
OP
Reef_Tanks

Reef_Tanks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about that product to be honest. I find Red Sea ab+ works for me when I see corals start to act up, as well as stable parameters and for torchs I put them in a area with less flow to give them time to heal
just put it in a less flow area just then and will dip for a few days see if there is any signs of recovery thx so much for the help mate

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back