New torches dying

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done researching and can’t figure out what it is. all of my parameters are stable and normal. Fish store says my water test is good. All my other corals look very happy. Went to get myself a new Christmas present a nice torch coral and in within a day I could already see him starting to recede. I did a coral RX dip when I received him and acclimated and put him in the tank and that night he was already receding. I called the fish store and told them they helped me out and gave me a deal on another torch coral a week later. The day after getting that one I I get home from work and and it is receding again I will attach pictures of both corals that have been receding that starts on one side of the head and Works it’s way over, slowly killing the whole thing. Both look the same way when the flesh started to recede. I didn’t notice anything come off during the dips and all of my parameters are stable alkalinity salinity nitrate, nitrite. All my other torches look happy and healthy except these new ones I’m getting I’m starting to notice. Most of the coral I get from this fish/coral store is dying….but they have a marine biologist there and I don’t want to put such a bold statement out there assuming that it’s the fish stores coral or there distributor or wholesaler… because I order off of corals anonymous and other websites and every one I have ordered from them has survived. Same of when I went to the Orlando reefapooloza I still have all of those, and none have died. Starting to make me question my fish stores coral….. I love them so much tho they are so nice… I added both of them to the same exact spot. There’s another torch coral right next to it that is doing perfectly fine.

image.jpg IMG_3018.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg IMG_2878.jpeg IMG_2879.jpeg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the three: hammer, frogspawn and torch; IME torches are the touchiest …
I just lost a new one, so following
…. just know it cudda been irritated days ago and no telling what … it. can take a few. days for it to recoup so pinning down the cause is tricky

edit add: I have had poor survival rates from a well known online store. So @Macsreefs curious where you got the coral ( pm me if you would rather not go public”

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameter, lighting schedule, or fish stock? Was the coral aquaculture or wild?
You know the normal parameters
Ca = 420-430 ppm
Mg = 1300-1600 ppm
Alk = 8.5 dKH
No3 = 0.5-2 ppm
Po4 = 0.1 ppm
Salinity = 35ppt
Temp = 79

Running an Ai prime on a 29 gallon mixed reef tank mostly torch and hammers few Duncan’s Zoas green star polys just simple ones really …lights are about 11 hours with two times a day of high blue and middle of the day ramps down offf the blues little . He buys his coral from people like us that have extra overgrowing there tank or from big sellers most are aqua cultured I believe

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the three: hammer, frogspawn and torch; IME torches are the touchiest …
I just lost a new one, so following
…. just know it cudda been irritated days ago and no telling what … it. can take a few. days for it to recoup so pinning down the cause is tricky

edit add: I have had poor survival rates from a well known online store. So @Macsreefs curious where you got the coral ( pm me if you would rather not go public
Aqua-SD I've done multiple ebay auctions with them and have had a 95% chance survival the one that died they send me a new replacement, which surprised me. Corals anonymous have had great luck with them as well and both of customer services amazing.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you I also hesitate to bash vendors…
IMO the frags were alive when shipped (usually)
but yeah I sometimes get mixed results with them although I. get 90% of my online frags from there…

Poor survival with torches and lately many acro frags have had a. lil Tissue missing et …all have browned out lately ..

..again a lil hesitant with name dropping as it could be just my tank also

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on its recovery!
I got home and it got worse … Went to fish/coral store to see if they still had the same batch of torches and they did. All looked healthy and fine they have had no complaints. So it’s not the supplier in this case. I read another thread they recommend a hydrogen peroxide dip 3%, the ratios vary I’m gonna do a 4:1 ratio dip for 3 minutes tonight. As of now the torch is in a little shaded isolated area of the tank

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns make any attempt to make that torch their host?
You have other torches fine, but just one.
Is common.
No for some reason the big female clown loves the alveopora, he hasn’t touched any Duncan’s, torches or hammers.

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s melting away now….

Attachments

• IMG_3029.jpeg
    IMG_3029.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 87

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a super fresh frag plug. Any chance that perhaps it didn't get to settle after it was removed from mother colony and it's a bit stressed out from the shipping etc?

I'm no torch expert either. Never been able to keep them long term in my old tank. Have added 2 new ones to my current tank which thankfully seem to be doing okay. They're getting quite the flow at the moment though so I'm just keeping an eye on them and I'll move them if they start to look cranky. One head I thought was done for as it took ages to open up after a dip (I had to remove some white gunk from it's head - unsure if it came from Torch or one of the other corals dipped). Thankfully over night it came back.

Some people/tanks just can't keep certain corals, perhaps this is one that you'll always have trouble with ?

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a super fresh frag plug. Any chance that perhaps it didn't get to settle after it was removed from mother colony and it's a bit stressed out from the shipping etc?

I'm no torch expert either. Never been able to keep them long term in my old tank. Have added 2 new ones to my current tank which thankfully seem to be doing okay. They're getting quite the flow at the moment though so I'm just keeping an eye on them and I'll move them if they start to look cranky. One head I thought was done for as it took ages to open up after a dip (I had to remove some white gunk from it's head - unsure if it came from Torch or one of the other corals dipped). Thankfully over night it came back.

Some people/tanks just can't keep certain corals, perhaps this is one that you'll always have trouble with ?
The dip removed the white gunk/flesh, I have other torches that are thriving. I’m gonna assume for now that the spot is cursed… second coral that isn’t happy there even tho another torch is inches away and happy

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe they didn't like the dip...
My feelings are mixed with Coral Rx, some corals seem to love it and others not so much. It does remove a lot of little pest tho…. Wondering if it’s the coral rx now, do you use any other similar products you recommend?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back