OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FistofYang @Harold999 @DarkReefer @Doctorgori @Shibaken3 …. Welll the dip cleaned him last night, looked like he was gonna recover for a minute, it ate all the junk away and started to open up again. Made it look like it had a chance and gave me hope for a minute . Woke up and he was melted melted. I read a lot of different test results on all different types of corals and euphylllia were typically the stronger more resistant ones to the hydrogen peroxide 3% 4:1 ratio dip (tank water: hydrogen peroxide) for 3 minutes…. I believe that was a little to long I’ve read people even go as low as 20 seconds and even up to 10 minutes and a lot of the euphyllia corals were in the 2-5 minute range… I think the less time the better, I honestly think the peroxide had a good chance to work if I did a lowe ratio or less time. I rinsed it very well put in a bucket of tank water for a minute or two and pushed a little water around and then even had some more water rinse him off… went in the tank and opened up , but I could tell it was still stressed like the dip was a little to strong after words… if I do it again I would definitely go with either a more diluted ratio or less time in the dip … here are pictures of it this morning… I took it out sadly. Can’t risk it nuking my tank, especially when I’m going out of town for two days and everything else is having no issues. Don’t wanna start another problem right before I go. It’s Flesh was bubbling off and I put it in a cup and it really started to fly off of it. Gonna take my loss as a learning experience that increased my knowledge in place meant and coral dips, don’t put a coral in a spot another didn’t make it for some odd reason, coral rx might not be as good as a lot of people make it out to seem and hydrogen peroxide dips do clean but are very strong so if you do try the dip go for a less strong solution or less time. Thank for all your help and input I greatly appreciated it!

Attachments

• IMG_3032.jpeg
    IMG_3032.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3033.jpeg
    IMG_3033.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3034.jpeg
    IMG_3034.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 33

vitaliyphoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the following:
1. Get an ICP TEST, your water could be contaminated with copper etc.
2. This may be brown jelly disease which is serious- try to go with no torches for a month or two to see if it’s a pathogen that only survives on torch tissues.
3. Are you running a UV sterilizer? If not this may be a good time to start. There are a ton of pathogens that we have no knowledge about in the water, sterilizing it is a good method to reduce the amount of stuff that can spread.

Wish you luck

vitaliyphoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, super important!
Cross reference all your tests with other kits/tools. Especially: temperature, salinity, alkalinity, phosphate, nitrate. Have you checked for stray voltage? That’s another unknown factor.

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do the following:
1. Get an ICP TEST, your water could be contaminated with copper etc.
2. This may be brown jelly disease which is serious- try to go with no torches for a month or two to see if it’s a pathogen that only survives on torch tissues.
3. Are you running a UV sterilizer? If not this may be a good time to start. There are a ton of pathogens that we have no knowledge about in the water, sterilizing it is a good method to reduce the amount of stuff that can spread.

Wish you luck
1.just got back result they were good. Alk and salinity was a little low which is normal for me and my small tank which is why I do weekly 10% water changes. Nothing abnormal.
2. I haven’t read to much into that but …. After that other torch died my other one got very angry shortly after. I did a dip and it seemed to help… now fast forward two weeks and I get home from work and all the sudden it is back to looking bad ….he looks as if a shrimp ate him/ ate off his heads, you know the little flashlight colorful ends …. I’m worried now, I have a big designer Indo gold torch…. Wondering if it’s a disease or if I have an annoying tank mate that I needa get rid of … I have three peppermint shrimps… I think it may be the big one if so.
3. No I am not, this is currently my first tank of my own. I started small at 20 gallons and wasn’t to sure if that was needed due to the fact I do 10% water changes weekly and other bio filters . Any recommendations if you think I still need one? I’ll attach a pic of the torch coral that’s now getting infected/ bullied.
IMG_3849.jpeg
image.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3848.jpeg
    IMG_3848.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, super important!
Cross reference all your tests with other kits/tools. Especially: temperature, salinity, alkalinity, phosphate, nitrate. Have you checked for stray voltage? That’s another unknown factor.
Stray voltage ? No I have not, how would I check for this?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage ? No I have not, how would I check for this?
A multimeter will test for stray voltage. My torches thrive in partially shaded areas of the sandbed. You can put foods near the mouth if that part is still alive. Rescued a coral that way once IMG_9653.jpeg

vitaliyphoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.just got back result they were good. Alk and salinity was a little low which is normal for me and my small tank which is why I do weekly 10% water changes. Nothing abnormal.
2. I haven’t read to much into that but …. After that other torch died my other one got very angry shortly after. I did a dip and it seemed to help… now fast forward two weeks and I get home from work and all the sudden it is back to looking bad ….he looks as if a shrimp ate him/ ate off his heads, you know the little flashlight colorful ends …. I’m worried now, I have a big designer Indo gold torch…. Wondering if it’s a disease or if I have an annoying tank mate that I needa get rid of … I have three peppermint shrimps… I think it may be the big one if so.
3. No I am not, this is currently my first tank of my own. I started small at 20 gallons and wasn’t to sure if that was needed due to the fact I do 10% water changes weekly and other bio filters . Any recommendations if you think I still need one? I’ll attach a pic of the torch coral that’s now getting infected/ bullied.
IMG_3849.jpeg
image.jpg
Start UV and isolate affected specimens if you can. It looks like what’s killing them is in the water. Also, are you sure it’s a peppermint shrimp and not a camelback shrimp?

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bad experiences with dipping torch corals from online. I've found it stressed them out a ton when they have been stressed for the last day+ might be worth putting it on your sand bed for a few days if you trust the supplier and then dip if needed a few days later.

OP
OP
Macsreefs

Macsreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start UV and isolate affected specimens if you can. It looks like what’s killing them is in the water. Also, are you sure it’s a peppermint shrimp and not a camelback shrimp?
i think its my big peppermint... i started reading and found another forum on here and am convinced it them.. gonna get one of those traps and get them out because ive seen them pick at coral before like when i feed or stress one out or if its dying. Now i think they could be the cause for over 4-5 torches... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pepermint-shrimp-good-or-bad-for-pur-reef-tank.846093/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back