Any clownfish experts out there?

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to identify what type of maroon clown I have. I would like to get another one of the same kind to pair it but can’t find anything that looks like it and now live across the country from where I got it. If no one knows what kind, what would be a good pair for it? Also do maroons get more aggressive when they are in pairs or does it calm them down?

My favorite feature of this clown is the black fins with orange tips!

E717BA54-5C06-496A-887F-A1F62ABD876E.jpeg

4EAFAD76-4025-4326-8368-43D2A7161E68.jpeg

C82DD901-1B48-408D-A0DB-65ECE78074A3.jpeg

3E5EF1B7-8C07-4287-9B14-FC8684E061B4.jpeg

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like the gold x lightning maroon, the gold around the fins gives it away for me

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons are more aggressive than other clowns. I have 2 clowns and I added a maroon and it host my anemone but is super aggressive towards my other clowns. Even when I’m cleaning it’s super aggressive. I got bit 2 times today. Not sure if adding another clown would be a great idea. If your maroon isn’t aggressive then maybe go for it but mine is aggressive so I wouldn’t bother adding another one to my tank. If your maroon is hosting your BTA then it could be territorial if another clown comes into the tank.

If you do find another and wanna add it and they don’t seem to get along because of the BTA then I would take them both out and put them either in an acclimation box or a QT for a while till they get used to each other and try again. I tried this and had no success though. I took my clowns out and placed them in a QT for 8 weeks and they were best friends in there never bothered each other. As soon as they went back into the DT and the maroon found the anemone it was over he still chases them around the tank.

Is your maroon aggressive if you go near the BTA?

OP
OP
Tangina20

Tangina20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroons are more aggressive than other clowns. I have 2 clowns and I added a maroon and it host my anemone but is super aggressive towards my other clowns. Even when I’m cleaning it’s super aggressive. I got bit 2 times today. Not sure if adding another clown would be a great idea. If your maroon isn’t aggressive then maybe go for it but mine is aggressive so I wouldn’t bother adding another one to my tank. If your maroon is hosting your BTA then it could be territorial if another clown comes into the tank.

If you do find another and wanna add it and they don’t seem to get along because of the BTA then I would take them both out and put them either in an acclimation box or a QT for a while till they get used to each other and try again. I tried this and had no success though. I took my clowns out and placed them in a QT for 8 weeks and they were best friends in there never bothered each other. As soon as they went back into the DT and the maroon found the anemone it was over he still chases them around the tank.

Is your maroon aggressive if you go near the BTA?
Mine bites my hand every time I put it in the tank, it doesn’t hurt because it’s still small but I was hoping it would calm down when I put another one in there!

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any type of maroon would be fine to add, just make sure you get one small enough to still be certain male, inch and a quarter max, smaller the better.
Intro in a acclimation box or container of some kind, they don't always accept certain males, container intro is safest, and maybe float container a day, maybe more, observe what your existing does.
It should be noticeable if she wants to kill it, or just curious.
Expect some chasing and badgering at first

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back