Any gals into aquatics?

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm really curious.... Are there many gals on this forum or mostly dudes?

I'm a chick, but 99.9% of aquarists I meet are all dudes. Seriously, I've only met ONE gal who was getting into reefing and actually knew what she was talking about. I've run into a couple other gals at the lfs, but they predominantly fit that awful cringy stereotype of "help, I know nothing and I keep killing my fish hahaha" (which seriously ticks me off, but that's a separate issue).

Sooooo.... Have you met many gals in this hobby? What's your experience?

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my YouTube data
Just seems there are not that many really interested

988898ac64c21b92f25c4a5617610ba4.jpg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like, likes from the female employees at GA? I'll be shocked if any of them are on here.
Don't know about that. Post is more about my observation that there are quite a few women in Atl area that are "into" aquariums and very knowledgeable about marine science. I meet them regularly at LFSs

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a generalization and I do not have any numbers, data or other research to back it up, but it has been proposed that this hobby appeals to men because its a science based hobby and as such men have that area of the brain that digs math and science more so than women. This in no way assumes that women are not just as capable in the math and science part, just that for a hobby, it may not be as appealing. Also the maintenance is not for the feint of heart or body. This is a physical hobby as well as a mental one. Most of the women I know, would not be in to carrying heavy buckets & jugs of water or boxes of salt and if they ever had to clean a skimmer cup or scrape algae off a turf scrubber they would probably vomit. :) Again these are women I know and not representative of the masses. Being a woman, I would like to see more get into the hobby, but not because I feel ostracized or intimidated by my male counterparts who outnumber my gender, but to see more of a diverse cross section in the hobby and to see if there is much difference in Reefing style from one gender to another.

halfdoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a generalization and I do not have any numbers, data or other research to back it up, but it has been proposed that this hobby appeals to men because its a science based hobby and as such men have that area of the brain that digs math and science more so than women. This in no way assumes that women are not just as capable in the math and science part, just that for a hobby, it may not be as appealing. Also the maintenance is not for the feint of heart or body. This is a physical hobby as well as a mental one. Most of the women I know, would not be in to carrying heavy buckets & jugs of water or boxes of salt and if they ever had to clean a skimmer cup or scrape algae off a turf scrubber they would probably vomit. :) Again these are women I know and not representative of the masses. Being a woman, I would like to see more get into the hobby, but not because I feel ostracized or intimidated by my male counterparts who outnumber my gender, but to see more of a diverse cross section in the hobby and to see if there is much difference in Reefing style from one gender to another.

That’s the part i love is the science. And I love DIY though I do get my husband to build some stuff for me. The science is what makes me enjoy the hobby the most

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My own opinion as well

Its also a bit reckless spending lots of money more for the enjoyment than its worth

Its the same with gambling

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you're saying, but I think I'd blame the difference on our culture, not our brains. I really think girls are taught to be squeamish and encouraged to pick secretary work over hard sciences.

I think our brains were just as sharp and inquisitive, but then... we were pushed towards focusing on learning makeup brands and fashion instead of challenging ourselves with math, science, politics, and philosophy.

I'm an odd duck in this regard, and dude, am I now so grateful that I never 'fit in'! (Except for the secretary thing, that was me)

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm really curious.... Are there many gals on this forum or mostly dudes?

I'm a chick, but 99.9% of aquarists I meet are all dudes. Seriously, I've only met ONE gal who was getting into reefing and actually knew what she was talking about. I've run into a couple other gals at the lfs, but they predominantly fit that awful cringy stereotype of "help, I know nothing and I keep killing my fish hahaha" (which seriously ticks me off, but that's a separate issue).

Sooooo.... Have you met many gals in this hobby? What's your experience?
Welcome! I actually know quite a few - my good friend @metrokat , @Adele , @Kali, @vlangel and many more! Us girls are out there, but it is definitely a male-dominated hobby. 80% of my followers on Instagram are male and I suspect about the same percentage on Facebook as well. However, I’ve made some really good friends that are male as well.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back