Any gals into aquatics?

declanisadog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter is obsessed, but not sure if she counts yet...
IMG_2513.jpg

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! So.... Dumb question. How do I follow you? [emoji28]

No dumb questions around here. If you click on my name on the left, a little black window will open and there's a button you can click to "follow". Thanks! I'm flattered.

Sorcha2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a gal. There are far more gals on here than there are reefers in my local area but then again it is me and whoever owns one of the restaurants in town. Then no reefers of either gender for a minimum of an hour and a half in any direction.

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a gal. There are far more gals on here than there are reefers in my local area but then again it is me and whoever owns one of the restaurants in town. Then no reefers of either gender for a minimum of an hour and a half in any direction.
That's far!! I live in Los Angeles so I am quite spoiled with multiple local fish stores and aquariums. When I move to Virginia it might be different though!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is very much into the hobby, and will not hesitate to point out to me what I have done wrong.

The Ocala Reef Club has about 6 women among our 20 or so active members, and probably another 4-5 among the other 20-30 inactive members. So about 20-25% of our membership is comprised of female hobbyists.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm really curious.... Are there many gals on this forum or mostly dudes?

I'm a chick, but 99.9% of aquarists I meet are all dudes. Seriously, I've only met ONE gal who was getting into reefing and actually knew what she was talking about. I've run into a couple other gals at the lfs, but they predominantly fit that awful cringy stereotype of "help, I know nothing and I keep killing my fish hahaha" (which seriously ticks me off, but that's a separate issue).

Sooooo.... Have you met many gals in this hobby? What's your experience?

I “identify” as Kris, and have heard more than once “that’s a girls name.”

Lots of reefers on here of many differing stripes, but if they have a reef they have at least one excellent attribute that we all can embrace, right?

I hope my embrace doesn’t make any of the gals or guys on here uncomfortable.

40 years reefing, 30 years of sensitivity training have made me what I am today.

I hope that people of all genders, ethnic backgrounds and economic situations can learn to keep fish and coral alive and thriving, and hats off to those pioneers among us who maybe underrepresented in our ranks but have the strength of character to join in where others have yet to explore.

God created reefs for everyone to respectfully enjoy.

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm really curious.... Are there many gals on this forum or mostly dudes?

I'm a chick, but 99.9% of aquarists I meet are all dudes. Seriously, I've only met ONE gal who was getting into reefing and actually knew what she was talking about. I've run into a couple other gals at the lfs, but they predominantly fit that awful cringy stereotype of "help, I know nothing and I keep killing my fish hahaha" (which seriously ticks me off, but that's a separate issue).

Sooooo.... Have you met many gals in this hobby? What's your experience?
Hi I just signed up yesterday and I'm a chick! lol I've been in the hobby on/off for 10 years. Learning something new everyday!

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I “identify” as Kris, and have heard more than once “that’s a girls name.”

Lots of reefers on here of many differing stripes, but if they have a reef they have at least one excellent attribute that we all can embrace, right?

I hope my embrace doesn’t make any of the gals or guys on here uncomfortable.

40 years reefing, 30 years of sensitivity training have made me what I am today.

I hope that people of all genders, ethnic backgrounds and economic situations can learn to keep fish and coral alive and thriving, and hats off to those pioneers among us who maybe underrepresented in our ranks but have the strength of character to join in where others have yet to explore.

God created reefs for everyone to respectfully enjoy.
Well said! Thanks Kris. Really appreciated.

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more open to spending money in this hobby whereas my wife initially could not fathom why anyone would spend thousands of dollars on fish... Fast forward to the present, the tank has added a new atmosphere in our home and keeps the guests in awe, especially with our new ai hydra 26 lights. Now she's as addicted as I am...

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm more open to spending money in this hobby whereas my wife initially could not fathom why anyone would spend thousands of dollars on fish... Fast forward to the present, the tank has added a new atmosphere in our home and keeps the guests in awe, especially with our new ai hydra 26 lights. Now she's as addicted as I am...
Tell me your secret!!! If I could just get my husband addicted, life would be paradise!

benha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me your secret!!! If I could just get my husband addicted, life would be paradise!

Haha, it's pretty sweet to have the same hobby interest as your partner. For me, I try to get my wife involved with the tank as much as possible, such as asking her to choose which coral and fish that she thinks are pretty and having her help me glue coral together into the tank. Placing the tank in the living room was also a big plus since it's always a talking point when friends and family are over!

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's far!! I live in Los Angeles so I am quite spoiled with multiple local fish stores and aquariums. When I move to Virginia it might be different though!

What part of VA? We have a lot of good LFS in the DC area and the local reef club, WAMAS, is really great.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back