OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a generalization and I do not have any numbers, data or other research to back it up, but it has been proposed that this hobby appeals to men because its a science based hobby and as such men have that area of the brain that digs math and science more so than women. This in no way assumes that women are not just as capable in the math and science part, just that for a hobby, it may not be as appealing. Also the maintenance is not for the feint of heart or body. This is a physical hobby as well as a mental one. Most of the women I know, would not be in to carrying heavy buckets & jugs of water or boxes of salt and if they ever had to clean a skimmer cup or scrape algae off a turf scrubber they would probably vomit. :) Again these are women I know and not representative of the masses. Being a woman, I would like to see more get into the hobby, but not because I feel ostracized or intimidated by my male counterparts who outnumber my gender, but to see more of a diverse cross section in the hobby and to see if there is much difference in Reefing style from one gender to another.
I'm really sorry to hear about the intimidating men in the hobby. I certainly have experienced the same thing though - some dudes just give you a look of dismissal and won't help - but I just leave those jerks alone to deal with their superiority complex somewhere else. It sucks, but they can't tell you about who you are. They can only tell you about themselves through their actions.

There are so many nice, respectful men in the hobby. I've got my various lfs's ranked by friendliness. Also, Google has been my friend. And this forum has been so fun! Best of luck to you and I really hope you are able to explore and enjoy despite the rude people. [emoji1]

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get my wife into the hobby but when I talk about it she gives me the glazed look I give her when she talks about dollar tree crafting ...
This is the look I get from my husband- although after years of bugging him, he actually does have his own reef tank now that I’m not allowed to touch. It could be because he was going too slow for me so one time when he was on a business trip, I loaded his tank with rock flower anemones from Got Corals.

Sandy from Got Corals is an amazing reefer - so we are out there!

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R :)
It's a pleasure to have you here with us ;)

giphy.gif

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah ... my wife is not a big fan of sps. She's into long flowing tentacles corals and (always) reminds me to clean up my sand bed with all the overgrown corals :D

Locally I know of 2 ladies who's into reefing but has been pretty quiet for some time now ... and yeah majority of trolls and haters are guys anyways ;Shifty Not cool!

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah ... my wife is not a big fan of sps. She's into long flowing tentacles corals and (always) reminds me to clean up my sand bed with all the overgrown corals :D

Locally I know of 2 ladies who's into reefing but has been pretty quiet for some time now ... and yeah majority of trolls and haters are guys anyways ;Shifty Not cool!

Lol the ladies in my family also like the long flowing things and sps only if its a really big chunk

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Women love reef tanks it’s just most can’t justify the spending and husbandry
Men don’t really need justification more like i want so i do

I know this isn’t all but its my view of things

halfdoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids really like to tease with me and say that they lost their mom. Meaning to the aquarium. But I just don’t do other things now like watch TV etc, go out. I just focus on the aquarium. I do have to balance the spending so I try a lot of DIY and just dream about the other stuff. The chemistry keeps my mind thinking. And I love that. I don’t just let it go to waste

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a girl. And I'm currently interviewing 2 other women who are big shot scientists working in aquaculture (for an article). They're around, but definitely not as many as men.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What publisher? Sounds cool! I'd love to read your stuff.

R2R is the publisher!! I'm the new resident writer. This is me:

writinggiphy.gif

So, stay tuned. Lots of great articles coming down the pike.

And thanks for the kind words for my name. I was surprised it wasn't taken already. I live near the ocean.

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a female and love reefing! Sure there are times I have the not slightest thing I am doing but I research it and take it from there. My husband is not really interested in the upkeep etc but he loves looking at the tank.
That's my guy too! Lol. He would fuss and complain about the messes I'd make doing diy stuff, and he would just glaze over like a Krispy Kreme doughnut when I started talking about fish, but whenever we would have people over, he'd take everyone on a grand tour of my tanks. (That's how I figured out he was secretly proud of me) [emoji28]

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my guy too! Lol. He would fuss and complain about the messes I'd make doing diy stuff, and he would just glaze over like a Krispy Kreme doughnut when I started talking about fish, but whenever we would have people over, he'd take everyone on a grand tour of my tanks. (That's how I figured out he was secretly proud of me) [emoji28]

Me too +1

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female here! And my 17 year old daughter is also into reefs and freshwater tanks (has 5 or 6 tanks in her room right now). My 7 year old daughter also keeps a tank in her room. The guys in our family have little to no interest in reef keeping.

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R is the publisher!! I'm the new resident writer. This is me:

writinggiphy.gif

So, stay tuned. Lots of great articles coming down the pike.

And thanks for the kind words for my name. I was surprised it wasn't taken already. I live near the ocean.
Awesome! So.... Dumb question. How do I follow you? [emoji28]

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back