Any gals into aquatics?

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not met a gal, but I am a gal. I’ve always found it odd that more women aren’t into reef keeping.
My hubby thinks it weird that this hobby is primarily male dominated. I spend so much time with my tank. He just doesn't get why men would do this. Lol

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Female here! And my 17 year old daughter is also into reefs and freshwater tanks (has 5 or 6 tanks in her room right now). My 7 year old daughter also keeps a tank in her room. The guys in our family have little to no interest in reef keeping.
Hey there....and a fellow Shrimp Bowl competitor who will also be sporting a new RNN t-shirt too! :D

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you're saying, but I think I'd blame the difference on our culture, not our brains. I really think girls are taught to be squeamish and encouraged to pick secretary work over hard sciences.
This isn't the case really. Adele's thoughts are correct.
In the most egalitarian cultures, where woman were not only given full opportunity to choose their vocations, but encouraged to take on traditionally male dominated roles like engineering, the majority chose roles that dealt with people.

Male & females, on the average, are different. Males are interested in stuff, while females are more interested in people.
All reputable studies come to this conclusion.
I don't see this as a bad thing. Quite the opposite.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm really curious.... Are there many gals on this forum or mostly dudes?

I'm a chick, but 99.9% of aquarists I meet are all dudes. Seriously, I've only met ONE gal who was getting into reefing and actually knew what she was talking about. I've run into a couple other gals at the lfs, but they predominantly fit that awful cringy stereotype of "help, I know nothing and I keep killing my fish hahaha" (which seriously ticks me off, but that's a separate issue).

Sooooo.... Have you met many gals in this hobby? What's your experience?
I'm here! I'm here! But yes...this does seem to be a male dominated hobby. I find it funny because whenever my husband and I go into a new marine store, the sales people automatically start talking to him. He quickly says "This is my wife's hobby. She's the person you need to chat with." I'm new to R2R too, but I've been into aquariums for a long time. My husband helps me move the tanks, and occasionally I need to borrow one of his power tools -- that's it. :)

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't the case really. Adele's thoughts are correct.
In the most egalitarian cultures, where woman were not only given full opportunity to choose their vocations, but encouraged to take on traditionally male dominated roles like engineering, the majority chose roles that dealt with people.

Male & females, on the average, are different. Males are interested in stuff, while females are more interested in people.
All reputable studies come to this conclusion.
I don't see this as a bad thing. Quite the opposite.
Very interesting! I have heard some research about relationships that found women's primary need is connection/with-ness and men need support/cheerleader/for-ness (to generalize). It does make sense, as a generalization.

Maybe I'm just an outlier looking for other oddballs like me. I like doing things and building things and I really think I might have made a decent mechanic or engineer, but I stuck with more socially acceptable options and I think that was a mistake.

I still have a lot of complaints about western culture, of course.... So sorry if I what I said earlier was rude, that was not my intention.

Anyway those are my thoughts...

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I have heard some research about relationships that found women's primary need is connection/with-ness and men need support/cheerleader/for-ness (to generalize). It does make sense, as a generalization.

Maybe I'm just an outlier looking for other oddballs like me. I like doing things and building things and I really think I might have made a decent mechanic or engineer, but I stuck with more socially acceptable options and I think that was a mistake.

I still have a lot of complaints about western culture, of course.... So sorry if I what I said earlier was rude, that was not my intention.

Anyway those are my thoughts...
(Also, America is really struggling through gender and race issues right now so that's the backdrop of where I live and grew up.)

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say that I didn't realize how male dominant this hobby was until my wife and I went to RAP for the first time a few years ago. We are very much in this hobby together.

We would walk up to a vendor and had the following happen:
  • Walk up, ignore wife and engage me
  • Wife asks question, turn and talk to me, I told them to answer her
And at a LFS about an hour north of us (it has since closed), my wife went in while I was at work, manager asks if she has any questions replies not yet, doesn't see anything she wanted, as she left he called out "bring your husband next time".

I think the mindset of some people in the hobby is part of what has driven it this direction.

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should say that I didn't realize how male dominant this hobby was until my wife and I went to RAP for the first time a few years ago. We are very much in this hobby together.

We would walk up to a vendor and had the following happen:
  • Walk up, ignore wife and engage me
  • Wife asks question, turn and talk to me, I told them to answer her
And at a LFS about an hour north of us (it has since closed), my wife went in while I was at work, manager asks if she has any questions replies not yet, doesn't see anything she wanted, as she left he called out "bring your husband next time".

I think the mindset of some people in the hobby is part of what has driven it this direction.
You know, just hearing that I'm not alone makes it so much easier to have patience with people who don't realize they're doing this sort of thing. It can change. Slowly.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like doing things and building things and I really think I might have made a decent mechanic or engineer, but I stuck with more socially acceptable options and I think that was a mistake.
I'm surre you would have made a decent mechanic or engineer, if only for the reason that it interested you.
>>Your<< mistake was letting your perceptions overly influence your decision. :) Not to sound mean, but did you ever try to become, say, a mechanic? You could have if you really wanted to, in a western society, which may not appear perfect, unless compared to other cultures ;)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surre you would have made a decent mechanic or engineer, if only for the reason that it interested you.
>>Your<< mistake was letting your perceptions overly influence your decision. :) Not to sound mean, but did you ever try to become, say, a mechanic? You could have if you really wanted to, in a western society, which may not appear perfect, unless compared to other cultures ;)
I agree, my mistake. Yup yup yup. But I would also say that I was severely misguided. What does a teenager know about the world besides what people have told and shown them?

And to answer your question - I am about to. I am switching careers right now. This isn't going to be easy though...

I know I do complain, and I'm sure that's annoying. Believe you me - I am very grateful to live in a place where it IS possible to do nearly anything.

However, breaking glass ceilings is not as trivial as it may seem. Minorities in a non-traditional field have to work 5x harder than everyone else just to make it. (Could be gender, race, religion, nationality, or any trait that a group of people have collectively decided sets people apart.)

And careful there - Just because it's worse somewhere else doesn't mean we should stop trying to improve where we are. [emoji106]

And again, sorry for complaining about my culture. This is the wrong place to complain and I'll shush now.

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back