OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on going to the three bird road stores after work today for a scouting trip. Anyone have any questions they want to be answered?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on going to the three bird road stores after work today for a scouting trip. Anyone have any questions they want to be answered?
Strictly fishy has a frag room when you enter on the left don't miss it

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out Exotic Aquatics and Strictly Fish on Bird Rd and really close to the Palmetto tonight. They both seemed ok but Strictly Fish definitely was nicer. They both get Saltwater fish on Tuesdays for what it's worth so I'll be going back tmrw.

Exotic - Had both Fresh and Saltwater stuff. Lots of display tanks which was nice to see. I saw a lot of SPS and LPS, not many Zoa's. prices seemed a bit high but there were some deals. A bigger store than Strictly Fish. Wasn't the cleanest store I've ever been in but not the dirtiest either. Seems like the have high turnover on their fish which is a bit worrisome in that I'm not sure how clean the system is and how much extra stress they go through.

Strictly - Definitely a very clean store which gives me confidence. Ironically, had a huge selection of Coral, especially softies and zoa's-- partly because they sell online I'd guess. They have a cool frag room in the left side that's hidden and it had a ton of frags (thanks @Zeal). The fish looked really nice but I did see one that was noticeably shuttering and swimming into water flow which was the only big red flag I saw. Not sure on coral prices but I think the fish prices were pretty similar to Exotic.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral prices are the best Imo in that area. And they have a better selection (strictly fish)

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I made the trip to Pembroke Pines and checked out James aka Neon Reefs. 100% recommend to anyone who is looking for Zoa's or Ricordea. James was super nice, the frags were well priced and the selection solid. Some stuff was named if you're into that but a lot of it was no name. Personally outside of having a way of distinguishing zoa's I think these names are all a scheme to charge us more anyways.

It's a frag tank at James' house that is full of Zoa frags. Probably somewhere around 15 different types and a few variants of the same types for some of them. Each type had a bunch of different frags to choose from and I didn't see any frags that were just 2-3 polyps. Each one seemingly had 5-15 polyps.

About 2/3 of the zoa frags were $5 each (not per polyp) and the rest were $10. He also had some Ricordea shrooms that were $15 each in a variety of colors (blue, yellow, orange, green). Compared to the stores I went to on Bird that were charging by polyp starting at $15 it was a no-brainer.

I scooped up 11 zoa frags and 1 ricordea for $80 ($15 for Ric, 2 $10 zoas and 9 $5 zoas) and started myself a little garden which will hopefully fill out over time. Lights arn't on and they are still made from the handling i gave them but here's a pic with my bonus clowns:
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 11.55.19 AM.png

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I made the trip to Pembroke Pines and checked out James aka Neon Reefs. 100% recommend to anyone who is looking for Zoa's or Ricordea. James was super nice, the frags were well priced and the selection solid. Some stuff was named if you're into that but a lot of it was no name. Personally outside of having a way of distinguishing zoa's I think these names are all a scheme to charge us more anyways.

It's a frag tank at James' house that is full of Zoa frags. Probably somewhere around 15 different types and a few variants of the same types for some of them. Each type had a bunch of different frags to choose from and I didn't see any frags that were just 2-3 polyps. Each one seemingly had 5-15 polyps.

About 2/3 of the zoa frags were $5 each (not per polyp) and the rest were $10. He also had some Ricordea shrooms that were $15 each in a variety of colors (blue, yellow, orange, green). Compared to the stores I went to on Bird that were charging by polyp starting at $15 it was a no-brainer.

I scooped up 11 zoa frags and 1 ricordea for $80 ($15 for Ric, 2 $10 zoas and 9 $5 zoas) and started myself a little garden which will hopefully fill out over time. Lights arn't on and they are still made from the handling i gave them but here's a pic with my bonus clowns:
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 11.55.19 AM.png
Was was located before or after 75? I was thinking of checking out Rubio's Coral. He's in West pines I believe.

I'll have to check this guy out. Did he have anything other then Zoas or ricordea? Kinda not a fan of either

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was was located before or after 75? I was thinking of checking out Rubio's Coral. He's in West pines I believe.

I'll have to check this guy out. Did he have anything other then Zoas or ricordea? Kinda not a fan of either

palmetto to 75 for about 15 minutes, got off on sheridan exit. Wasn't too bad but I purposely chose Sunday. He had a few medium sized torches and a medium sized hammer too, but for the most part its Zoa's. I really like them and have wanted to make a garden for some time so was great for me. If you're not into Zoa's though I'd likely only go if you were already in the area as that was really the vast majority of what he had.

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked out
rubios corals last night. Hes in pembroke pines. Alot of crazy nice corals

How were the prices? On his site it looks like he's charging per polyp for a lot of stuff is that true in person as well?

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to check out Rubio's Corals over the weekend. He has 2 huge frag tanks (maybe 8 ft by 3 ft or something) 1 is a grow out tank since he aquacultures everything in his garage and the other is full of frags for sale. Overwhelmingly his frags are zoa's and paly's though he had a few LPS and other softies in there too, not much but I spotted candy cane, gsp, and some other LPS I think he called leptos or lepos.

He has a lot of variety among the zoa's particularly with the "named" stuff -- though that's all still hogwash too me, pretty corals are pretty corals. In terms of price, he's definitely way more expensive than Neon reefs who has good sized frags for $5-10 but Rubio's Corals has a lot more variety. Seems to charge more on a polyp basis than a frag basis. I think this is because he does a lot of online sales.

He gave us some "deals" and we were able to get 7 zoa/paly frags for $95. Some with just a polyp or two and a few with 4-8 polyps. Definitely worth checking out and only about 10 minutes away from Neonreefs so if you're going to 1, you should go to the other. Both guys are super nice and friendly, didn't feel weird going inside either's house.

At this point really hoping to find garage sellers with some other stuff besides zoa's but not sure that will happen based on my research so far. Got a garden growing and don't have any more room for zoa's to be honest.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to check out Rubio's Corals over the weekend. He has 2 huge frag tanks (maybe 8 ft by 3 ft or something) 1 is a grow out tank since he aquacultures everything in his garage and the other is full of frags for sale. Overwhelmingly his frags are zoa's and paly's though he had a few LPS and other softies in there too, not much but I spotted candy cane, gsp, and some other LPS I think he called leptos or lepos.

He has a lot of variety among the zoa's particularly with the "named" stuff -- though that's all still hogwash too me, pretty corals are pretty corals. In terms of price, he's definitely way more expensive than Neon reefs who has good sized frags for $5-10 but Rubio's Corals has a lot more variety. Seems to charge more on a polyp basis than a frag basis. I think this is because he does a lot of online sales.

He gave us some "deals" and we were able to get 7 zoa/paly frags for $95. Some with just a polyp or two and a few with 4-8 polyps. Definitely worth checking out and only about 10 minutes away from Neonreefs so if you're going to 1, you should go to the other. Both guys are super nice and friendly, didn't feel weird going inside either's house.

At this point really hoping to find garage sellers with some other stuff besides zoa's but not sure that will happen based on my research so far. Got a garden growing and don't have any more room for zoa's to be honest.
Good thing I haven't gone, I really don't like Zoas, I personally find them kinda boring. I was planning on going but if all he really has is Zoas I won't even bother

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from the south also. This week I went to reef top on 139th and us1 , ocean view , vip reef and neptunes aquariums in hialeah. Ocean view and vip reef were the cleanest. they wanted to help right away. Prices were the cheapest. Ocean view had the best selection of inverts and frags. Vip had some nice frags also a little more pricey. Neptune aquarium has alot of aptasia in there frag tanks and main tanks. reef top did not have any pests and there frag rack was small but the people were nice and wanted to help.

Just make sure that anything you get you dip just in case.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a few frags of Sps if interested. Bubble gum digi, milki stylo, pink milli, and pink Cadillac, garf bonsai

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am from the south also. This week I went to reef top on 139th and us1 , ocean view , vip reef and neptunes aquariums in hialeah. Ocean view and vip reef were the cleanest. they wanted to help right away. Prices were the cheapest. Ocean view had the best selection of inverts and frags. Vip had some nice frags also a little more pricey. Neptune aquarium has alot of aptasia in there frag tanks and main tanks. reef top did not have any pests and there frag rack was small but the people were nice and wanted to help.

Just make sure that anything you get you dip just in case.
Honestly my favorite one out of that area is Strictly Fishy. Their frag room is awesome

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly my favorite one out of that area is Strictly Fishy. Their frag room is awesome
have not seen there frag room. will need to check it out when I went to them last was looking specifically for nassarius snails. the last frag rack I saw they had some aptasia so I sterred away from it

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have not seen there frag room. will need to check it out when I went to them last was looking specifically for nassarius snails. the last frag rack I saw they had some aptasia so I sterred away from it
You have to ask to see it they have the door closed. When you go in it's on the far left there's a door and there's 4 massive tanks with beautiful corals.

I buy all my frags from them and everything from eBay comes from them aswell.

I snipe their corals weekly for crazy discounts

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to ask to see it they have the door closed. When you go in it's on the far left there's a door and there's 4 massive tanks with beautiful corals.

I buy all my frags from them and everything from eBay comes from them aswell.

I snipe their corals weekly for crazy discounts

Good stuff. Have you seen and galaxea or nice Duncan frags in there? Looking for some nice ones have not had any luck

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back