Any HOB reef tanks? Exist?

MoMoTheMonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a HOB protein skimmer & a HOB filter usually with just filter floss in it on my 45 tall & I ran that tank for years. I then transferred everything to a temporary 40b tank while I worked on my upgrade last year and still have it running now with a few things still waiting to move over.
CM_Photogrid_1672262904195.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55G setup will be 4 years old on Easter. It has two HOB & one reverse flow ug filter, thank you @Paul B

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I used a HOB protein skimmer & a HOB filter usually with just filter floss in it on my 45 tall & I ran that tank for years. I then transferred everything to a temporary 40b tank while I worked on my upgrade last year and still have it running now with a few things still waiting to move over.
CM_Photogrid_1672262904195.jpg
Nice!!
55G setup will be 4 years old on Easter. It has two HOB & one reverse flow ug filter, thank you @Paul B
Lookss good what kind of fish are those

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!

Lookss good what kind of fish are those
Mollies. The two females were purchased acclimated to full salt from Aquadome, LFS in Austin.

I also have a male that I had found to breed with them, but now looks to be showing recessive genes of an an albino. I suspect he is infertile as they have been together for 90 days.

PS. Sorry, for poor picture of male molly: he never slows down with two females “In the tank“. This tank was moved two weeks ago. I am using it as a grow out tank to sell curated designer rock to Aquadome & Craig’s List. Because I am all about diversity I wanted pods with the designer live rock. The mollies are good janitors; I view them as large pods.

image.jpg image.jpg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a sump so everything is either HOB or inside the tank hidden somewhere. Most of it is also DIY. Here it is at 51 years old.
There are over 40 fish in there someplace.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow she’s nice ! Good job man .

That sailfin looks like she outgrowing it though
Thanks. Took awhile and learned allot about keeping corals alive. What an ride though.
Moved from WI to CO in August so presently working on a SCA 120g wOverflow & sump build. Kept 1/4 of the corals and the Sailfin wife said I should keep for the larger tank since she picked Trixy out.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Fluval FX4 canister filter, HOB skimmer, two power heads, and HOB refugium on my mixed reef 55 gallon for over a year with good growth all around.
My filter was always loaded with pods during cleanings and the canister had places to put carbon and GFO bags.
If you don’t keep it clean, it’s like recycling water through a trash can. But, as long as you stay on top of it, it’ll work fine.
IMG_0810.jpeg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Fluval FX4 canister filter, HOB skimmer, two power heads, and HOB refugium on my mixed reef 55 gallon for over a year with good growth all around.
My filter was always loaded with pods during cleanings and the canister had places to put carbon and GFO bags.
If you don’t keep it clean, it’s like recycling water through a trash can. But, as long as you stay on top of it, it’ll work fine.
IMG_0810.jpeg
My FX6's are full of LR rubble.....no issues with cleaning...once every 6 months, a quick rinse out

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 20L macro algae tanks years ago that was only HOB.
only think I dont like about HOB filtered tanks are the heater in the tank. not bad if it's a larger tank but still dont like to see them in there.

I would prefer to use a canister filter with builder in heater and pre-filters.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 78.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back