ANY IDEA WHATS UP WITH THIS HAMMER??? HELP!!

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copper gold hammer that’s unraveling. It’s next to another purple orange hammer that’s doing well.

This been going on for about two weeks now. I plan on removing it and dipping in witch hazel.

PH 8.4
ALK 9
Calcium 475
Mg 1500
Nitrates 5
Phosphate 0.1

It’s getting about 50 - 75 PAR maybe a little more and I may have to move things around to find a shady spot for it
IMG_5256.jpeg IMG_5253.jpeg IMG_5258.jpeg IMG_5257.jpeg

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found that the amount of magnesium I’ve been dosing could be the reason this hammer has been acting funny. I’ve been dosing 10x the amount of mg past two weeks. I need to do a Mg test. I’ve been noticing some hermit crabs dying off as well chuck I know they are sensitive to high levels of Mg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copper gold hammer that’s unraveling. It’s next to another purple orange hammer that’s doing well.

This been going on for about two weeks now. I plan on removing it and dipping in witch hazel.

PH 8.4
ALK 9
Calcium 475
Mg 1500
Nitrates 5
Phosphate 0.1

It’s getting about 50 - 75 PAR maybe a little more and I may have to move things around to find a shady spot for it
Just curious, why do you feel it needs less light?

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why do you feel it needs less light?
It’s unraveling/unthreading itself. It gives off a frozen look like the light is to intense. If lighting isn’t the issue… then I’m lost here

Something is bothering it not sure what. I didn’t dip it yet but I will today.

I just checked my Mg levels. Even though I’ve been dosing over 10x the amount my Mg is only at 1600 which means my coral have been taking in a lot

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

PH 8.4
ALK 9
Calcium 475
Mg 1500
Nitrates 5
Phosphate 0.1

Pics a tad fuzzy but looks like either sponge or filaments emerging

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s unraveling/unthreading itself. It gives off a frozen look like the light is to intense. If lighting isn’t the issue… then I’m lost here

Something is bothering it not sure what. I didn’t dip it yet but I will today.

I just checked my Mg levels. Even though I’ve been dosing over 10x the amount my Mg is only at 1600 which means my coral have been taking in a lot
Par of 100 to 150 is what I keep my frog's and hammer at. I know you have been keeping your tank at 1600 mag but IMHO 1400 1450 is max. Seems your tank has been running for over a year so, who knows, I just wouldn't run it that high myself. When I have had mine in 60 or so par they acted weird until par was raised.

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found that the amount of magnesium I’ve been dosing could be the reason this hammer has been acting funny. I’ve been dosing 10x the amount of mg past two weeks. I need to do a Mg test. I’ve been noticing some hermit crabs dying off as well chuck I know they are sensitive to high levels of Mg
I just got ICP water test back and says I am low on Mg. How do you know how much to dose? I have a 100g

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a few hammers and a bunch of frogs. I’ve noted that seemed happiest with PAR of 120-150ish. I try to keep mag in the 1400-to just under 1500 range. They need enough flow to shimmy around but not too heavy.

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got ICP water test back and says I am low on Mg. How do you know how much to dose? I have a 100g
usually it says on the bottle or how much you need to mix with a certain amount of water to get a certain potency. If for some reason it dosnt say just look up online your specific brand of magnesium you have and dose amounts.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par of 100 to 150 is what I keep my frog's and hammer at. I know you have been keeping your tank at 1600 mag but IMHO 1400 1450 is max. Seems your tank has been running for over a year so, who knows, I just wouldn't run it that high myself. When I have had mine in 60 or so par they acted weird until par was raised.
I wanted to acclimate it to my lighting, only had it for two weeks. I’ll move it to a higher rock to see if that helps. I also changed the dosage of my Mg. I’ll check it again in a week to see if levels come down to about 1500ppm.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO neither of your hammers look great. Probably need more light and i would take that phsoguard out and see if they improve after that.

Took me over a year to keep hammers now they look great in my tank and i run all high nutrients in my tank.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
IMO neither of your hammers look great. Probably need more light and i would take that phsoguard out and see if they improve after that.

Took me over a year to keep hammers now they look great in my tank and i run all high nutrients in my tank.
Your probably right, while I was trying to snap pics , fish got spooked and swiped across the hammers so the purple hammer was just coming back out.

Hammers are in a medium flow area, I don’t want to move them both up more because I have torches all over the rock work

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the original parameters were perfect. About the same as mine except I run higher nitrate. Not sure the affects of 1600 magnesium but I agree with what has been said about your par, mine are at 150. In my experience, hammers are pretty hardy, you should be able to turn this around without any damage.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the original parameters were perfect. About the same as mine except I run higher nitrate. Not sure the affects of 1600 magnesium but I agree with what has been said about your par, mine are at 150. In my experience, hammers are pretty hardy, you should be able to turn this around without any damage.
I moved the hammers to a higher rock. Its not as weird looking any more. Wasn't home today to actually see its behavior through out the day. My tanks current parameters are on point. I try to bump my nitrates up but my refugium and skimmer is working over time. Im seeing good growth from corals that's why I'm boggled with this one hammer.

I keep my room lights pretty white around 5500k Hammers were closer to the edge of the tank. You think scattered light could've had that effect?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back