Any ideas for a whole home CO2 scrubber?

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just a another thought for ph, I'm experimenting with sodium hydroxide right now, and that's a heck of increase on ph. look up Randy's 2 part with higher ph boost. maybe cheaper route if concern is just tank.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what I do crack a couple windows slightly year round. I have 6 in the house and CO2 can reach 1500 ppm when closed tightly and the PH is affected. Way cheaper and keeps my home CO2 levels less than 750 ppm. It may add cost slightly in winter and summer but it is a lot cheaper than any alternative you may come up with.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always notice that when I leave for 2-3days and come back my corals look 10x better with extension and general health. I live in a very well sealed condo because the climate is extremely hot so no fresh air can ever get in and I work from home and stay home a good bit. What is the best way to really scrub CO2? maybe some sort of industrial setup? Anyone else deal with this issue?
It’s called an erv and they are absolutely amazing !!!

Ideallandscaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're looking for a Home Energy Recovery Ventilation system. Bring in outside air (low CO2), then cool/heat the new air with inside air as it's exchanged.
Exactly! Treated air exchange. It pulls outside air, heats it/ cools it/ de humidifies it/ filters it

toni37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo uso el Skim Breeze de fauna Marín, antes no subía el ph de 7,9 y desde que puse el Skim Breeze está sobre 8,3 ph.
Cada dos meses o así le repongo la cal sodada, es económica y da buenos resultados. elimina el co2

Translation:
I use the Skim Breeze from fauna Marín, before the ph did not rise to 7.9 and since I put the Skim Breeze on it is around 8.3 ph.
Every two months or so I replace the soda lime, it is economical and gives good results. eliminates co2

20231022_195340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some live house plants.

And enjoy looking at them while they do nothing significant to solve the CO2 problem. As was already discussed in this thread, a few houseplant do not have enough uptake capacity to have a noticeable effect.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supply House dot com has a Model VER 150, that’s not too bad price wise. You could call them, about ducting it to a window. Also I would check to see how far your windows will open for a homemade, Duct insert.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Would you be able to install a thru wall / ductless ERV? I googled those and they look interesting.

I installed an ERV last year for our downstairs, and it was one of the best decisions. Aside from dropping the average CO2 levels from ~800ppm to ~500ppm, and the tank pH rise, I think we all feel better.

We don’t have an ERV upstairs (but I’m considering adding one), and when coming downstairs the air quality is noticeably different (hard to describe other than “fresh”)

We’re in Texas so this is during the 105 degree summers with AC running. It’s also amazing how quickly things like cooking smells, etc are cleared out.

So although I was trying to improve coral health, I’m pretty sure we all benefited.
I live in a condo and technically I only own the sheetrock in. So I cant do any modifications to the structure. My HVAC has no duct anywhere near the exterior or even near windows.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
also just a another thought for ph, I'm experimenting with sodium hydroxide right now, and that's a heck of increase on ph. look up Randy's 2 part with higher ph boost. maybe cheaper route if concern is just tank.
This is probably where im at. Only option really. I already have some NaOH so im going back to that route.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The battery is terrible. Lots of reviews about that are not good. I brought mine to my desk to see if it had a brand - it does not, but it also does not say InkBird. On the side of my desk it says 426. When I had it in front of me between my face the the monitors it went up to 525, or so. I would say that it is working well. When I take it outside, it goes to like 405. The battery will be dead by tonight unless I plug it back in.
Spent some time reading up on these boy there are seriously mixed reviews across the board. From what I can tell they dont even measure CO2 directly but instead smoke and then estimate the CO2 levels. I might buy a cheap one just to see how it goes. if it at least correlates to the pH levels it could be useful.

BWB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always notice that when I leave for 2-3days and come back my corals look 10x better with extension and general health. I live in a very well sealed condo because the climate is extremely hot so no fresh air can ever get in and I work from home and stay home a good bit. What is the best way to really scrub CO2? maybe some sort of industrial setup? Anyone else deal with this issue?
I use the bulk reef supply CO2 scrubber with their CO2 absorbant media in a somewhat air sealed similar office environment for about 4 years and my reef tank is growing like crazy. I'm sure I'm not having O2 deficiency issues

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about extreme differences. My anemone doesnt even expand at all hardly just stays in the rock. Then when I leave for a few days, its out taking up half the tank. same goes for all my other corals mushrooms zoas leathers everything. Its not that they are growing, they are just opening up to their full potential.
My wife is the same way when I have been gone for a few days. She closes back up about 15 minutes after I get home.

I hope there is a solution besides remodeling the house.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My wife is the same way when I have been gone for a few days. She closes back up about 15 minutes after I get home.

I hope there is a solution besides remodeling the house.
Ya you can fix that easily with cash or diamonds.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya you can fix that easily with cash or diamonds.
She was hoping you would tell me to stop breathing. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Ironically, perhaps, I bought her a Nut Cracker (the Christmas decoration) and she was happy for a nano second earlier today. She wants everything that I can buy her but nothing makes her happy. Poor health. I'm actually thinking of measuring the CO2 in this house to see if any of the solutions that have been offered might cheer us up? Gotta measure CO2 in here first. My reef is in the garage so it's breathing outside most of the time. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
She was hoping you would tell me to stop breathing. :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Ironically, perhaps, I bought her a Nut Cracker (the Christmas decoration) and she was happy for a nano second earlier today. She wants everything that I can buy her but nothing makes her happy. Poor health. I'm actually thinking of measuring the CO2 in this house to see if any of the solutions that have been offered might cheer us up? Gotta measure CO2 in here first. My reef is in the garage so it's breathing outside most of the time. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Ya I think high CO2 definitely impacts mood. Worth a shot.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back